Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread: NOAA issues its most aggressive hurricane season forecast on record

1. Default Re: NOAA issues its most aggressive hurricane season forecast on record

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    better get your pirogue ready in abbeville
    I wish I still had my pirogue. I used to take it out on the Vermilion river as a kid.

Default Re: NOAA issues its most aggressive hurricane season forecast on record

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Hunted to extinction is a different topic, try to stay focused.

Last summer was the hottest I have ever expeienced here, 109f though I did experience 116f in Nebraska as a kid.

I hear "more hurricanes" and think less heat and no drought.
    Don't forget habitat destruction and fragmentation. Try to stay focused.
    Humans are certainly capable of changing ecosystems AND conditions in the atmosphere. Nature is a finely tuned system and changing one thing can lead to a cascade of consequences. See the coastal erosion problems we have been facing for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tyme View Post
    Humans are certainly capable of changing ecosystems AND conditions in the atmosphere. Nature is a finely tuned system and changing one thing can lead to a cascade of consequences. See the coastal erosion problems we have been facing for decades.
    Coastal erosion? You mean the levees?

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Yeah. The ones we built and changed the balance between subsidence, erosion and deposition. Weird how wee little humans actually changed a whole system like that in less than a century.

5. Default Re: NOAA issues its most aggressive hurricane season forecast on record

For decades is correct, more like Centuries.

The Cajuns of Nova Scotia faced this problem in in the 1600's and found a solution.

Water extraction from aquifers caused sinking coastlines, not rising tides. (See Mexico city) Alexandia Egypt sank by natural causes. None of this in a modern phenomenon.

Yeah. The ones we built and changed the balance between subsidence, erosion and deposition. Weird how wee little humans actually changed a whole system like that in less than a century.
    Go take ride in your EV.

I thought we were talking temperature. i.e. warming. Humans have negligible, if any, impact on that NATURAL phenomenon.

Go take ride in your EV.
    So I guess you have reached the end of your contribution to this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    I thought we were talking temperature. i.e. warming. Humans have negligible, if any, impact on that NATURAL phenomenon.
    We have impacts on other natural phenomena but not that one? Is there evidence that we do not impact global climate?

Turbine-Draining aquifers certainly leads to subsidence but that is not the cause of LAs coastal issues. There is no aquifer underlying most of coastal SE LA where the vast majority of wetlands have been lost. Levees not allowing deposition of river silt, channelization of streams and O & G canals allowing saltwater intrusion have slowed deposition so much that it cannot keep up with natural erosion and subsidence.

The reason I brought up coastal land loss and extinctions is to illustrate that, while cycles in nature are normal, humans can and do affect nature. For another example, check out what has happened to the Aral Sea in the last 50-60 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQhrgqaQiwQ
    Last edited by Big Tyme; May 26th, 2024 at 09:13 am. Reason: Included link

11. Default Re: NOAA issues its most aggressive hurricane season forecast on record

So I guess you have reached the end of your contribution to this discussion.
    I have an EV, I'm going take a ride.

I also have two diesel's, rode over a million miles between them, still run great, want to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I have an EV, I'm going take a ride.

I also have two diesel's, rode over a million miles between them, still run great, want to buy?
    LOL I guess the EV comment was supposed to be an insult. I am waiting for a solar powered vehicle. With the extra strong sun and all, I will be spending house money.

LOL I guess the EV comment was supposed to be an insult. I am waiting for a solar powered vehicle. With the extra strong sun and all, I will be spending house money.
    Send me a Pic when you get it!

Send me a Pic when you get it!
    I should have said something about wind powered car and the hurricane season! Oh well missed opportunity!

Well, baws.if we can hurry up and convert those offshore oil production platforms to windmills, we might be able to save ourselves from these hurricanes.

Let's get on it!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread Information