Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst . 4 11 12 13 14

Thread: NOAA issues its most aggressive hurricane season forecast on record

1. Default Re: NOAA issues its most aggressive hurricane season forecast on record

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    Well if you live on the Texas Coast you might want to make sure you are finishing up your hurricane preps. Beryl appears to be making more of a northern turn than originally thought. Problem is depending on when that turn starts could result in a significant change in landfall position. Could be anywhere from Brownsville to north of Corpus Christi.

Good thing is that southern/central Texas will more than likely get some relief from the drought they are currently experiencing.
    Hurricanes always move north/east from the original projection. Projections rarely (if ever) go south/west.

I have a completely unfounded theory that this is because weather models don’t take into account friction with the land, which is different than friction with water. Maybe they do, but I like my theory.

Default Re: NOAA issues its most aggressive hurricane season forecast on record

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    Hurricanes always move north/east from the original projection. Projections rarely (if ever) go south/west.

I have a completely unfounded theory that this is because weather models don’t take into account friction with the land, which is different than friction with water. Maybe they do, but I like my theory.
    Due to angular momentum (spin of storm & spin of earth) all tropical systems are pulled poleward. High pressure ridges often keep them from moving poleward but as soon as they find a weakness they all head North (in our hemisphere). Just depends on where those weaknesses occur. Thus the issue with Beryl. Depending on when that weakness occurs will depend on when the poleward turn happens. Since this is expected very near the Texas coast it could have a significant effect on actual landfall position.

Default Re: NOAA issues its most aggressive hurricane season forecast on record

There was a small unnamed tropical system 1956 in the Atlantic that moved southward before being swept up NE by a frontal boundary. Very rare.

4. Default Re: NOAA issues its most aggressive hurricane season forecast on record

stay tuned

rob should have some great forecasting for all of us at 5:00

I’m sure then the RP meteorologists will way in

get your generators and beer boxes ready

5. Default Re: NOAA issues its most aggressive hurricane season forecast on record

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    There was a small unnamed tropical system 1956 in the Atlantic that moved southward before being swept up NE by a frontal boundary. Very rare.
    There have been a few that have done loops as well. Weather is weird.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst . 4 11 12 13 14

Thread Information