Thread: RPI scenarios (Sun Belt Tournament)

1. UL Baseball RPI scenarios (Sun Belt Tournament)

Just to get a feel for example best case and worse case scenarios w/respect to RPI (all other things being equal) .

A tourney sweep with (1) win over South Alabama, (2) wins over James Madison, and (1) win over Southern Mississippi would yield an RPI that is ranked #25 in the current RPI rankings.

(2) Tournament losses to Old Dominion would yield an RPI that is ranked #44 in the current RPI rankings.

But keep in mind that much still depends on what opponents do as well as teams ranked around the Cajuns. As such, the results can vary by a few spots.

BTW, I can see some of the outfield, the left field wall, and center field wall from our hotel room. The downtown area is nice with plenty of eateries and places to grab drinks.

Brian

Default Re: RPI scenarios (Sun Belt Tournament)

Georgia state has the worst rpi in the tournament. If they beat coastal today we would play them. That would be our worst loss??

Brian

Do you know what the tie breaker scenario was to put Georgia state in ahead of tx st?? I know they didn’t play each other. Tx st has a better overall record. Georgia state has a better rpi.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    Brian

Do you know what the tie breaker scenario was to put Georgia state in ahead of tx st?? I know they didn’t play each other. Tx st has a better overall record. Georgia state has a better rpi.
    Now I know why Texas States announcers will be handling the tournament broadcast!

Brian

I'm guessing it was what they did vs. common opponent highest in the standings. Southern Miss. GA State took 2/3 from USM. TSU lost 2/3 vs. USM. That's gotta be it.

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    I'm guessing it was what they did vs. common opponent highest in the standings. Southern Miss. GA State took 2/3 from USM. TSU lost 2/3 vs. USM. That's gotta be it.
    Yesthat is what Georgia St noted in their press release.

7. Default Re: RPI scenarios (Sun Belt Tournament)

Correct.

Brian

8. Default Re: RPI scenarios (Sun Belt Tournament)

Georgia state has the worst rpi in the tournament. If they beat coastal today we would play them. That would be our worst loss??
    Georgia State would be the worst team to face in the tournament, but not because of their RPI or RPI ranking. It would be because of their impact to our RPI (SOS impact) . which is not the same as RPI ranking.

But again, I was providing example best and worst case scenarios . meaning going undefeated vs. going 0-2. Not purposefully selecting the worst/best possible teams. I do not have Georgia State in my RPI model yet, so I chose Old Dominion. The difference is not significant . the rankings gap (44 to 45) is currently large enough where it would not cost the Cajuns a rankings spot by losing twice to Georgia State (vs. Old Dominion).

Brian

Of the 3 possible teams we could play, odu has a significantly worse road record(7-12). I know this is neutral site but I’d like to play them. I think we’re already in their heads. South routed us then we routed them. I’d hate to see a sb regional replay. Where we lose a close one.

Of the 3 possible teams we could play, odu has a significantly worse road record(7-12). I know this is neutral site but I’d like to play them. I think we’re already in their heads. South routed us then we routed them. I’d hate to see a sb regional replay. Where we lose a close one.
    And my guess is if we play South Al, we would see the lefty that shut us down the the middle game. Can we adjust?

And my guess is if we play South Al, we would see the lefty that shut us down the the middle game. Can we adjust?
    I'd like to see a different umpire with him pitching. I think he had a high stike zone. JMO

12. Default Re: RPI scenarios (Sun Belt Tournament)

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    I'd like to see a different umpire with him pitching. I think he had a high strike zone. JMO
    Agreed. Shineflew had a high number of walks/inning entering that game (19 in 34.2 IP . and 4 HBP). Not that the Cajuns are particularly strong at drawing the free pass, but they mustered only one free pass in 6 innings against Shinflew.

That said, there are other South Alabama pitchers I would rather see.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    Agreed. Shineflew had a high number of walks/inning entering that game (19 in 34.2 IP . and 4 HBP). Not that the Cajuns are particularly strong at drawing the free pass, but they mustered only one free pass in 6 innings against Shinflew.

That said, there are other South Alabama pitchers I would rather see.

Brian
    I very much believe that the circumstances of the game played a much bigger part in our absence at the plate than the SouthAl pitcher's performance. He had a great outing. No doubt. I believe we beat him 8 out of 10 with C-Mo, our normal lineup, and a more normal gameday routine.

Thread Information