Thread: OT: My Baseball Regionals Proposal

1. UL Baseball OT: My Baseball Regionals Proposal

It seems if one team (usually the p5 host) has an easier path in regional. Often playing less games than the opponents, then that opponent who already played more games has to beat them twice after using up more pitching while the winner bracker team rested.

Here is an idea how to even out the playing field, not that that would ever be the ncaa's goal.

Have all teams play each other, 3 games each.
    A. Gives the 2 and q teams an extra game
    B. Equals 6 games. usually a region is 6 games or 7 with the if nec game.
    Then take the top 2 teams after all played all 3 and have a one game final in regional game 7.
    A. Everyone had same amount
    B. Had more rotational time between games, not one team playing 3 or 4 in a row
    C. Schedule would be much more locked in and game times for each team known and stay consistent, not dependent on rwsult of other games
    Seems like a win win for all. And region is not longer.
    But more fair, so that may be the downside.
    Another downside could be tie breaker scenarios to arrive at the 2nd final team
    Thoughts.???

Default Re: My Baseball Regionals Proposal

Yeah if 3 teams go 2-1 and 1 team goes 0-3 which would happen often you’d have a tie breaker scenario that wouldn’t play out on the field.

It’s set up to give the advantage to the team that earned the right to host…but make them earn it one more time, while giving the other teams a chance to take it from them.

We can talk about the system used to decide who earned the right to host, but I think teams that do so should have the easiest path to advance.

4. Default Re: My Baseball Regionals Proposal

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    It’s set up to give the advantage to the team that earned the right to host…but make them earn it one more time, while giving the other teams a chance to take it from them.

We can talk about the system used to decide who earned the right to host, but I think teams that do so should have the easiest path to advance.
    this

why are we always trying to make things equal

life is not equal

only a meritocracy works

while there may be some favoritism in its creation, leave it alone

Why would your 0-2 teams even show up with no chance to advance and knowing your season is over.

The host only had the shortest easiest path if they win the first two, so I’m essence you are awarded for winning. Nothing wrong with the format at all right now.

6. Default Re: My Baseball Regionals Proposal

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    Yeah if 3 teams go 2-1 and 1 team goes 0-3 which would happen often you’d have a tie breaker scenario that wouldn’t play out on the field.
    I agree work is needed for the idea, but Most tiebreakers are events that occurred on the field. One idea could be 3 points for a win but only 2 for an extra inning win. Or 3 for all wins and 1 for extra inning loss?

7. Default Re: My Baseball Regionals Proposal

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    Why would your 0-2 teams even show up with no chance to advance and knowing your season is over.

The host only had the shortest easiest path if they win the first two, so I’m essence you are awarded for winning. Nothing wrong with the format at all right now.
    Why do o and 7 teams in football show up in conf or o and 11 overall?
    1 win teams have advanced in other sports thag have similar model. Granted that involves tiebreakers
    1-2 team could possibly advance wheras o and 2 could not. Anything is possible Play spoiler, get more NIL for more postseason games, etc. What else they need to do that day?

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post

Thank you.

This is similar to OP’s argument during football season that teams should be forced to play their 2nd string QB.

9. Default Re: My Baseball Regionals Proposal

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    this

why are we always trying to make things equal

life is not equal

only a meritocracy works

while there may be some favoritism in its creation, leave it alone
    FAI.Ren.uf.f. good point, no thought exercizes allowed, wonder how we got R1 without thinking of theories and investigating them

10. Default Re: My Baseball Regionals Proposal

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Thank you.

This is similar to OP’s argument during football season that teams should be forced to play their 2nd string QB.
    Not second string, but two qbs. Look what seems do with wildcst, etc, that would qualify its called strategy!

You think baseball would ever allow just one starting pitcher again?

11. Default Re: My Baseball Regionals Proposal

this is a place where silly posts come to die

12. Default Re: My Baseball Regionals Proposal

Hosting already is an advantage not afforded most other ncaa sports, why should host get TWO advantages?

Quote Originally Posted by R1Letterman View Post
    Hosting already is an advantage not afforded most other ncaa sports, why should host get TWO advantages?
    They earned the host spot. The one advantage. If they don’t win their first and 2nd games, the team that beat them has the advantage…no?

And baseball has no rules about starting pitchers. If a team wants to throw the same guy every game, it’s allowed

Thread Information