Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Recruiting: ULM vs. Louisiana Football

UL Football Recruiting: ULM vs. Louisiana Football

ULM new head football coach has used the transfer portal more so then Louisiana.

ULM has signed 15 players out of the transfer portal as opposed to us who has only signed 4 out of the transfer portal.

The new ULM coach is trying to put them on the fast track to winning. Instead of the ground up like Louisiana.

In the new age of the transfer portal in college sports where players can decide to transfer out. Last year TXST. signed 40 transfer players including TJ Finley and improved there record to 8-4.

ULM has signed General Booty from Oklahoma with 15 transfer players signing with ULM.

Is Louisiana doing the right thing when it comes to recruiting?

I think ULM will be much improved this coming year, and will have a tougher team specially with a new coach coming in.

This will not be the usual ULM team. I personally think this coach is trying to move up and ia very motivated to win.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Recruiting: ULM vs. Louisiana Football

Packing your team with transfers can be a crap shoot. Remember, they are leaving their prior school for a reason and if they are transferring to ULM, or UL, for that matter, it's not for NIL.

Texas State was an example of it working. There are several examples of it not working. I'd venture to say more of it not working for teams outside of the "power" conferences.

Des' MO seems to be sustainability and for the most part it's worked. Back-to-back seasons of the same results. Only using the portal when it's necessary and retaining players that they recruited. Let's see if it works out better this year. If it doesn't, well, many will be asking to go back to the drawing board. And it would be justified coming off of the Napier run of tremendous success.

Okay but look at our softball and baseball recruting. To me this is how we have stayed competitive in these sports, and are top 25 programs.

How many players have transferred to Louisiana in these sports?

I tried to find it but i know we do it specially in the diamond sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    ULM new head football coach has used the transfer portal more so then Louisiana.

ULM has signed 15 players out of the transfer portal as opposed to us who has only signed 4 out of the transfer portal.

The new ULM coach is trying to put them on the fast track to winning. Instead of the ground up like Louisiana.

In the new age of the transfer portal in college sports where players can decide to transfer out. Last year TXST. signed 40 transfer players including TJ Finley and improved there record to 8-4.

ULM has signed General Booty from Oklahoma with 15 transfer players signing with ULM.

I think ULM will be much improved this coming year, and will have a tougher team specially with a new coach coming in.

This will not be the usual ULM team. I personally think this coach is trying to move up and ia very motivated to win.

Thoughts?
    Bryant Vincent is a solid coach that got screwed over by UAB. I think he is the most legit coach they have had since Berry. From what I understand he is letting ulm be the last chance U of D1. The plan is to help these kids get back on their feet and to bigger schools if they want. It's a crap shoot but for ulm what do they have to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    Packing your team with transfers can be a crap shoot. Remember, they are leaving their prior school for a reason and if they are transferring to ULM, or UL, for that matter, it's not for NIL.

Texas State was an example of it working. There are several examples of it not working. I'd venture to say more of it not working for teams outside of the "power" conferences.

Des' MO seems to be sustainability and for the most part it's worked. Back-to-back seasons of the same results. Only using the portal when it's necessary and retaining players that they recruited. Let's see if it works out better this year. If it doesn't, well, many will be asking to go back to the drawing board. And it would be justified coming off of the Napier run of tremendous success.
    Back to back losing seasons is not "working out"

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Hey, it's worked. Didn't say it was good, but it achieved consistency.

Back to back losing seasons directly after the previous coach had back to back top 16 finishes is definitely not "working out"

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    Hey, it's worked. Didn't say it was good, but it achieved consistency.
    Got me there lol

Have to agree. Coach Naps has shunned the portal and this might be his last year at Florida. Ignoring the portal means your also ignoring the fact any players worth a crap might leave for greener pasteurs.

Thoughts?
    Left out a small tiny detail.

You have to lose a lot of players to the portal to have room to sign a lot of players from the portal true ULM signed 15.

But they also lost 28 players via portal. Many were starters or 2 deep contributors. UL lost 5, 3 were bench warmers. We signed 5.5th joins team in summer. DL from Ball State. All 5 have a good shot at being in our 2 deep by fall

This is how i think of it. Could a 3rd or 4th string at Bama, Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia start here at Louisiana? I think so. Just like a super star athlete that transfers out of a school who goes to a more successful school that either chases NIL deal, or can start for a bigger name school.

I think it works both ways.

Coaches dont like it because it takes the power out of the coaches and puts it in to the player.

Thats what these coaches have to realize.

As a coach do not soften your coaching style or your team management, if a athlete doesnt like it then he/she has a choice to make.

12. Default Re: Recruiting: ULM vs. Louisiana Football

Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    Left out a small tiny detail.

You have to lose a lot of players to the portal to have room to sign a lot of players from the portal true ULM signed 15.

But they also lost 28 players via portal. Many were starters or 2 deep contributors. UL lost 5, 3 were bench warmers. We signed 5.5th joins team in summer. DL from Ball State. All 5 have a good shot at being in our 2 deep by fall
    that is not aging well

Thoughts?
    For me, there isn't enough data yet to show the long-term effects yet. There is no doubt it can be a one or two year fix, but are you sacrificing years 3, 4 and 5?

My gut tells me that to have success year in and year out, you have to have significant continuity, and then fill in where there are weaknesses.

In ULM's case, there are a lot of weaknesses to address, so might be a good one year fix, I just don't see building a consistent program this way.

Who does TJ play for today?

15. Default Re: Recruiting: ULM vs. Louisiana Football

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    Who does TJ play for today?
    I think he is at wku now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information