Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Matt Deggs as Head Coach

Default Re: Matt Deggs as Head Coach

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestStory View Post
    Deggs hiring was definitely nothing like the outrage when Desormeaux was hired as head football coach.
    And my preceding is why I suspect Des will succeed. He focuses on the kids, and on mental discipline. That's who he was as a player.

And he was a beast.

Some here are way too impatient, and way too unrealistic about our situation and our resources. Our #1 asset is our culture, and I'm not taking about the way we talk, nor sauce piquant.

It's a culture of seeing people as people, and of looking at young people as resources who will serve our world for years to come.

And not as interchangeable, disposable vehicles for the public's need to win.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    And my preceding is why I suspect Des will succeed. He focuses on the kids, and on mental discipline. That's who he was as a player.

And he was a beast.

Some here are way too impatient, and way too unrealistic about our situation and our resources. Our #1 asset is our culture, and I'm not taking about the way we talk, nor sauce piquant.

It's a culture of seeing people as people, and of looking at young people as resources who will serve our world for years to come.

And not as interchangeable, disposable vehicles for the public's need to win.
    The Des talk is for a different thread

3. Default Re: Matt Deggs as Head Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    I’ll give Deggs credit still for some terrible base running. Either players not coached up well enough or bad signs. But overall the program and the job Deggs is doing is great. We clean up base running mistakes we could be hosting this year.

PS I don’t want to start a discussion about it either. Can’t be great at everything and I except the frustrating base running mistakes due to being aggressive. Oh also, we could be a better bunting team overall. Or at least know who not to ask to bunt by now.
    ……Just think of our base running with Bermuda pants and picking up the fastest guy on the track

Well, I’m one who always thought Deggs was a great coach, and still do.

That said, I am also one who thought he was not the best choice post-Robe, primarily because it felt like it was too much an emotional decision following the loss of Robe. I’ve been in a similar position when we lost our parent and we made some decisions based mostly on emotions which, let’s just say, we’re not the best things we could’ve done.

I always thought that Jake Gautreau from Moo St was the guy we should’ve gone with. Not only was he the asst coach of the year at that time, but he was much younger and he reminded very much of a Bill Napier-like choice, which I was certain that Maggard would make.

All that said (and I’m sure I’ll get blasted for having said it), I think Deggs is doing a great job, and I certainly have no regrets.

P.S. I am also kind of surprised Jake is still in the same spot he was in at the time. Thought someone would’ve picked him up by now…maybe he is much like Napier….waiting for that perfect job.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Well, I’m one who always thought Deggs was a great coach, and still do.

That said, I am also one who thought he was not the best choice post-Robe, primarily because it felt like it was too much an emotional decision following the loss of Robe. I’ve been in a similar position when we lost our parent and we made some decisions based mostly on emotions which, let’s just say, we’re not the best things we could’ve done.

I always thought that Jake Gautreau from Moo St was the guy we should’ve gone with. Not only was he the asst coach of the year at that time, but he was much younger and he reminded very much of a Bill Napier-like choice, which I was certain that Maggard would make.

All that said (and I’m sure I’ll get blasted for having said it), I think Deggs is doing a great job, and I certainly have no regrets.

P.S. I am also kind of surprised Jake is still in the same spot he was in at the time. Thought someone would’ve picked him up by now…maybe he is much like Napier….waiting for that perfect job.
    I can definitely understand that take, and I would hope we reached out to other coaches (like Gautreau) before grabbing Deggs, just to go through the process. I’ve done that myself in my line of work. A recent person we hired into our department, I knew they would be a great fit when an opening occurred, but still went through the process of interviewing other candidates, though he/she was always the target Day 1.

Agreed….i’ve done the same thing myself in the hiring process.

I also want to clarify my earlier post: I am not saying that the deggs hire was a purely emotional one, I just think there were a lot of emotions involved in it. And you are right: for all we know they did interview Gautreau (or others) and maybe Deggs was the best option….or the others didn’t accept our offer.

And I’ll end again by saying that I have a tremendous amount of respect for Deggs both as a coach and person, and he sure seems like the right fit for us. Glad that all worked out so well for everyone involved.

I’d say that Coach Deggs was THE perfect guy for the job when Coach Robe passed away…because of the emotion. Ragin Cajun baseball is built on a certain culture that Coach Robe instilled and Coach Deggs continues to cultivate here.

AND Coach Deggs has been on record recently saying that he will not ever coach anywhere else but here, because of what UL and Coach Robe did for him. While some may say that is a negative, and want a young guy to come in and if he gets hired away that it’s a good thing…and it’s a valid point, but as we’ve seen with Napier, that success can go away quickly when he leaves.

Coach Deggs is providing that success himself, and he’s NOT going away. And I think we need to stop and think about what’s to come. With NIL and all of the things happening in college sports now, recruiting is more difficult than ever. All of the “showcase” kids with the big recruiting rankings aren’t likely to go anywhere outside of the SEC, ACC, and a few select other schools. A random one may end up at UL from time to time, but for those that listen to the things Coach Deggs says (and it goes to the point of Deggs having “his guys”), the recruits being brought in, for the most part, are a certain type. Strong kids, athletic kids, tough kids (a lot of former football players) that love to compete. They may not have the highest exit velo at the showcase, or the pretty swing that has scouts drooling, but guys that will have their face in the dirt and battle your ass until they outlast you, mentally and physically. Guys that are great teammates, and more worried about what their team can accomplish than what their draft stock is.

Those are the type of dudes that can win on the national stage at a program like UL. We have the right guy, and are lucky to have him. And I wouldn’t be surprised that once Coach Deggs has decided to step away that Gunner would be next in line to continue to cultivate the culture that is Ragin Cajuns baseball. These guys understand what it takes to compete and win on the national stage, while not having some of the advantages that the “elites” have.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    Robe had a rough few years, people here wanted him fired.

Someone once pointed out that most fans are nothing of the sort. They're not fans of the game, of the team, nor the players.

They just want to win every game, every sport, every year.

Fortunately, we have had coaches who have a deeper view of things, that we are not here to win, we're here to educate young people.

Including our players.

Fortunately, if you do that right, you win more than you should given your resources. Which is UL.
    Fun, there is so much in your post and I hope our fellow posters/readers really comprehend it. I know many do but I also know that some follow in what I will call the tsab group and that is unfortunate.

But there is hope for them.

I hope.

Sometimes you don't hire the man you WANT, you hire the man you NEED. Deggs was the only man that fit this description at the time. He was the right hire to continue the culture the was built by Robe.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post

AND Coach Deggs has been on record recently saying that he will not ever coach anywhere else but here, because of what UL and Coach Robe did for him. While some may say that is a negative, and want a young guy to come in and if he gets hired away that it’s a good thing…and it’s a valid point, but as we’ve seen with Napier, that success can go away quickly when he leaves.
    I think in sports like football and men’s basketball, programs like ours should seek the young, up and coming guy who wants to kill it here and be hired away to the SEC or Big 10. Not someone who just wants to be “comfortable”.

In baseball, though, like softball, those are programs where we have an established culture that has worked and been proven over time. Kind of like our track program under Coach Lancon from 1990 to 2002.

11. Default Re: Matt Deggs as Head Coach

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    The Des talk is for a different thread
    He is correct.

12. Default Re: Matt Deggs as Head Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    I think in sports like football and men’s basketball, programs like ours should seek the young, up and coming guy who wants to kill it here and be hired away to the SEC or Big 10. Not someone who just wants to be “comfortable”.

In baseball, though, like softball, those are programs where we have an established culture that has worked and been proven over time. Kind of like our track program under Coach Lancon from 1990 to 2002.
    there will always be teams shopping us in every sport. We just need to hold our heads up and learn to compete with what we are left and enjoy it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information