Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Matt Deggs as Head Coach

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Matt Deggs as Head Coach

Anyone remember the posts on here during 2021 that Matt Deggs was the wrong choice to lead the program? He was losing games with his idiotic in-game decisions, and he was running off players and angering their parents.

Now we’re ranked in the Top 25 and possibly a 2 seed if we can win 2 out of 3 this weekend and hopefully win at least 2 games in the SBC tourney.

We haven’t been a 2 seed or higher since we hosted in 2016.

Default Re: Matt Deggs as Head Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Anyone remember the posts on here during 2021 that Matt Deggs was the wrong choice to lead the program? He was losing games with his idiotic in-game decisions, and he was running off players and angering their parents.

Now we’re ranked in the Top 25 and possibly a 2 seed if we can win 2 out of 3 this weekend and hopefully win at least 2 games in the SBC tourney.

I think we’ve see Deggs mature and develop as a head coach in just a handful of year here.

Maybe 2021 Deggs was “not the guy”, but 2024 Deggs is the guy.

3. Default Re: Matt Deggs as Head Coach

I remember Robe being quoted in a press conference one year that we were playing Sam that everyone wanted to run Deggs off there first, but once he got his guys in there people saw he was the right guy. I think we can say almost the exact thing happened here. It’s just what happens. The good thing is, Deggs knows the type of guys he wants, and he’s proven he can go get them!

Most top tier alpha professionals improve their skill set over five years at Deggs' stage of his career. He is probably a better coach. He probably has a better staff than he started with. He probably is better at most things related to his job and I doubt he thinks he finished improving.

I am sure he expects this program to improve as long as he is around and just as confident he will leave it in better shape than he found it. CMD is a lock for Sun Belt Coach of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    I think we’ve see Deggs mature and develop as a head coach in just a handful of year here.

Maybe 2021 Deggs was “not the guys”, but 2024 Deggs is the guy.
    Sure, but the knee-jerk reaction just seemed absolutely weird, especially when you consider there wasn't really a 2020 season, and coming off the brutal 2019 season.

Look, we've all been wrong before. Even me once or twice, maybe even thrice, but it just seemed like the mantra from some during 2021 was Matt Deggs not only was the wrong choice, but he was running off players.and something that should rarely matter in D1 big boy sports, making parents upset.

Sometimes it's worth just stepping back and allowing someone, who has shown the ability to progress not just our program as an assistant coach, but even another program as a head coach, try to get his/her athletes and strategies worked in.

Seems now, we've been progressing each and every season, and this season has actually been a bit of a pleasant surprise because I wasn't sure what to expect after losing Brock and Roccaforte in the lineup at the plate.

I’ll give Deggs credit still for some terrible base running. Either players not coached up well enough or bad signs. But overall the program and the job Deggs is doing is great. We clean up base running mistakes we could be hosting this year.

PS I don’t want to start a discussion about it either. Can’t be great at everything and I except the frustrating base running mistakes due to being aggressive. Oh also, we could be a better bunting team overall. Or at least know who not to ask to bunt by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    I’ll give Deggs credit still for some terrible base running. Either players not coached up well enough or bad signs. But overall the program and the job Deggs is doing is great. We clean up base running mistakes we could be hosting this year.

PS I don’t want to start a discussion about it either. Can’t be great at everything and I except the frustrating base running mistakes due to being aggressive. Oh also, we could be a better bunting team overall. Or at least know who not to ask to bunt by now.
    We don't have the speed or bunting skill of last year for sure. I'll take our record this year though.

Sure, but the knee-jerk reaction just seemed absolutely weird, especially when you consider there wasn't really a 2020 season, and coming off the brutal 2019 season.

Look, we've all been wrong before. Even me once or twice, maybe even thrice, but it just seemed like the mantra from some during 2021 was Matt Deggs not only was the wrong choice, but he was running off players.and something that should rarely matter in D1 big boy sports, making parents upset.

Sometimes it's worth just stepping back and allowing someone, who has shown the ability to progress not just our program as an assistant coach, but even another program as a head coach, try to get his/her athletes and strategies worked in.

Seems now, we've been progressing each and every season, and this season has actually been a bit of a pleasant surprise because I wasn't sure what to expect after losing Brock and Roccaforte in the lineup at the plate.
    I feel silly for even having to say I have firmly been in Deggs' camp, and I could be misremembering.but I don't remember too many people saying he wasn't the man for the job. The only times I've seen the board collectively jump on him was over the former hitting coach (not naming that beaten dead horse). I mean, sure there's a poster or two always calling for a coach's job on a fan board, but I feel like you're painting with a fairly broad brush.

There were some Debbie downers despite 30+ wins in 21 and 22, who have all but disappeared.

Seems like an unnecessary thread to me. Do you need someone to acknowledge your "told you so" moment? I, for one, was not firmly in Deggs camp while he continued to have a certain someone on his staff. Today, I'm happy that he's running our program and hope to have him here for a long time.

11. Default Re: Matt Deggs as Head Coach

acknowledgment is a virtue

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    We don't have the speed or bunting skill of last year for sure. I'll take our record this year though.
    He acknowledged that today. Last year's team at this time had 70 more walks than this lineup, but the power numbers are higher this year. He said unfortunately that is why we are scoring more runs on the road than at home. He said the Tigue is harder to drive the ball when the wind is blowing in during the home schedule.

There are a couple of other glaring stats; the lineup is hitting .390 when swinging at the first three pitches. The downside is the lineup is also hitting .150 with 2 strikes. The number that is no surprise is Debo has driven in 28 runs with 2 strikes in the count.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    Seems like an unnecessary thread to me. Do you need someone to acknowledge your "told you so" moment?
    ^^This right here.
    Besides a few of the regular complainers, I don't remember much outrage about Deggs.

In Deggs' last 4 seasons at Sam Houston State before coming to Louisiana:
    - regular season conference champs 3 of 4 years (2016, 2018, 2019)
    - conference tournament champs 2 of 4 years (2016, 2017)
    - made it to a regional 2 of 4 years (2016, 2017)
    - won an NCAA regional as a #3 seed (2017) and made it to super regional
    - Southland Coach of the Year (2016)
    - swept the Cajuns in a weekend series in 2019

He also never had a losing season as a head coach at Sam Houston State. So looking at all that, I don't see reason for many to complain. I do remember some folks on here starting to complain about Coach Robe and "the game passing him by" during the 2019 season (28-31).

Deggs hiring was definitely nothing like the outrage when Desormeaux was hired as head football coach.

GEAUX CAJUNS

Deggs’ teams will play “fast, hard and loose…and live with the results”

That’s how it’s always been and likely how it always will be.

Robe had a rough few years, people here wanted him fired.

Someone once pointed out that most fans are nothing of the sort. They're not fans of the game, of the team, nor the players.

They just want to win every game, every sport, every year.

Fortunately, we have had coaches who have a deeper view of things, that we are not here to win, we're here to educate young people.

Including our players.

Fortunately, if you do that right, you win more than you should given your resources. Which is UL.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information