Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Baseball Rankings 2024 May 13

Default Re: Baseball Rankings 2024 May 13

Obviously - this year - that's our only shot at hosting. win regional and face SR vs. another "upset" winner. But, I thought that ended up going to the highest remaining seed (2 or 3). After that, if two #2 seeds or two #3 seeds, maybe higher RPI would have the inside track? I'm sure Brian could shed some light.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    The RPI result of that game is very minuscule (NW St win or loss) for the Cajuns. 2.1 points if NWSU wins and just -1.4 if they lose.

And without any shot at being a host, RPI pretty much doesn’t matter anymore. The Cajuns will be in a regional as one of the “middle teams” (they ‘supposedly’ don’t seed 2-4 in each region).

And with the stupid “bus rules” the committee has, that are used only when convenient, you can expect the Cajuns to be in College Station pretty much regardless of what happens the rest of the way
    I thought the bus rules were gone. I most certainly don’t know. If not, then yeah plan on a trip to College Station.

If they can go anywhere, RPI most certainly can matter. There’s a few possible #1 seeds I’d be excited for UL to draw.

A&M is not one of those.

Random thought. I’d rather be in college station playing them in a regional more than a super (assuming we make it obviously). I don’t think we escape a super against a top 4 seed but maybe could knock them off in a regional.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    Random thought. I’d rather be in college station playing them in a regional more than a super (assuming we make it obviously). I don’t think we escape a super against a top 4 seed but maybe could knock them off in a regional.
    Cart before the horse. Not worried about a potential SR pairing when we haven't even yet played the first game of the conference tourney, much less even been assigned to a Regional.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    I believe only already approved hosts can be selected. If neither of the remaining teams have applied and been approved, I believe the super would then be at an already approved neutral site.
    Incorrect. The two teams who won their respective regionals submit bids. What I don't know is how that decision is made. Contrary to popular belief when teams submit initial "bids" for regionals and supers the only thing being looked at is whether or not they meet all the outlined criteria. From there the seeding and hosting is all based on merit as determined by the selection committee.

I'm uncertain if that holds true in a scenario where both potential SR sites fail to advance. I would think that it would still hold true and in that case the committee would determine who they felt was the "higher seed" remaining and award accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Cart before the horse. Not worried about a potential SR pairing when we haven't even yet played the first game of the conference tourney, much less even been assigned to a Regional.
    It was somewhat in response to SID's statement that he didn't want to go to A&M. We are fans. We can speculate and talk scenarios.

7. UL Baseball Re: Baseball Rankings 2024 May 13

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    Incorrect. The two teams who won their respective regionals submit bids. What I don't know is how that decision is made. Contrary to popular belief when teams submit initial "bids" for regionals and supers the only thing being looked at is whether or not they meet all the outlined criteria. From there the seeding and hosting is all based on merit as determined by the selection committee.

I'm uncertain if that holds true in a scenario where both potential SR sites fail to advance. I would think that it would still hold true and in that case the committee would determine who they felt was the "higher seed" remaining and award accordingly.
    If two non-national seeds advance and both non-national seeds submitted bids, then the higher seed is awarded the super-regional (merit based). For others . the NCAA does seed regionals 1->4, even though they do not always show the seeding. The seeding determines home/road in the opening round game. If the advancing schools are seeded the same, an evaluation of the submitted bids is made and the super-regional site is awarded (merit based).

If only one school submitted a bid, then that teams hosts.

Only if neither team submitted a bid are the schools allowed to submit a bid post-regional round (merit based). This happened with Dallas Baptist and Cal a few years back.

It was the case in 2021 (due to Covid rules) that a list of 20 pre-approved sites were determined two weeks before the selections were made (regional round) . and the NCAA was forced to select regional hosts from that list of 20 schools. This was to ensure that the host sites had time to prep and reserve accommodations, etc This is no longer the case.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    If two non-national seeds advance and both non-national seeds submitted bids, then the higher seed is awarded the super-regional (merit based). For others . the NCAA does seed regionals 1->4, even though they do not always show the seeding. The seeding determines home/road in the opening round game. If the advancing schools are seeded the same, an evaluation of the submitted bids is made and the super-regional site is awarded (merit based).

If only one school submitted a bid, then that teams hosts.

Only if neither team submitted a bid are the schools allowed to submit a bid post-regional round (merit based). This happened with Dallas Baptist and Cal a few years back.

It was the case in 2021 (due to Covid rules) that a list of 20 pre-approved sites were determined two weeks before the selections were made (regional round) . and the NCAA was forced to select regional hosts from that list of 20 schools. This was to ensure that the host sites had time to prep and reserve accommodations, etc This is no longer the case.

Brian
    Brian,
    Do you know if baseball regionals are still based on geography w/o regard to committee ranking? In other words, will they protect #1 seeds (or at least top 8)?

I would not expect an overall #1 seed getting a strong #2 just b/c that school is a 2-hr bus ride away.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSID View Post
    Brian,
    Do you know if baseball regionals are still based on geography w/o regard to committee ranking? In other words, will they protect #1 seeds (or at least top 8)?

I would not expect an overall #1 seed getting a strong #2 just b/c that school is a 2-hr bus ride away.
    Even if not, the Cajuns will be a low 2/high 3 seed area with an RPI in the high 20s-low to mid 30s…which matches you with one of the best national seeds

Basically, in theory and following RPI strictly, #32 would be the lowest 2 seed and matched with #1 overall, along with the highest 3 seed (RPI #33)

Cajuns will be in bus range for College Station AND in “close enough” RPI range to make that the logical choice.

10. UL Baseball Re: Baseball Rankings 2024 May 13

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSID View Post
    Brian,

Geography (minimizing flights) continues to be a consideration by the selection committee (more than 400 miles drive is a flight). But it is not the lone consideration. They also have the mandate to balance the regionals as much as possible. This is why all regional placements are not "bus" optimized as they were after 9/11 and in 2021. That is . while they want to maximize bus travel, they will sacrifice this for balance if it makes sense. So you may have a field that could optimally result in X teams utilizing bus travel, but the committee elects to have X + 2 teams utilizing bus travel in order to achieve more balanced regionals.

Brian

11. UL Baseball Re: Baseball Rankings 2024 May 13

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    Cajuns will be in bus range for College Station AND in “close enough” RPI range to make that the logical choice.
    We will know more as we get much closer. This may certainly be the case, but you cannot look at this in a vacuum (just from a Cajuns' perspective). There may be another school on the board that is a better fit at selection time (geography and balance).

I do think that there will be several schools that are candidates for College Station as both 2's and 3's. Meanwhile, there could be some other SEC regionals that are also a good enough fit for the Cajuns, while allowing better overall geography and balance by placing them there instead of College Station. You really do not know until you have the final metrics and are attempting to put the entire field together.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    We will know more as we get much closer. This may certainly be the case, but you cannot look at this in a vacuum (just from a Cajuns' perspective). There may be another school on the board that is a better fit at selection time (geography and balance).

I do think that there will be several schools that are candidates for College Station as both 2's and 3's. Meanwhile, there could be some other SEC regionals that are also a good enough fit for the Cajuns, while allowing better overall geography and balance by placing them there instead of College Station. You really do not know until you have the final metrics and are attempting to put the entire field together.

Brian
    We need to get you on the payroll here.

13. Default Re: Baseball Rankings 2024 May 13

Money is tight. Glad you are agreeing to move your payroll to GG. Sometimes people do what’s best for the university.

Wait, I thought the season ended Saturday May 4th at Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    Wait, I thought the season ended Saturday May 4th at Troy.
    It should have, because like some posters at that time pointed out, this team is undeserving of a Regional. They don't deserve to be in the post season. Don't know why we're even discussing it in this thread.

UNDESERVING. No fight. Sloppy baseball all around on this squad.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information