Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7

Thread: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 9, Georgia State 2

1. Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 9, Georgia State 2

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    My only point was that neither Babb or GG have crystal balls and there are travel constraints which limit the field. To in any way use hindsight to short Babb in this respect is not only unreasonable but is distasteful.
    Fair point

Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 9, Georgia State 2

Obviouisly, nobody has a crystal ball. I'm not shorting or criticizing Babb. I think he does a great job. I know GG helped softball w/ scheduling in the past. I just think it wouldn't be a bad idea to have GG and Babb talk regarding baseball - like I think he did w/ Loteif - just throw some ideas out there. Can it hurt?

We all want to host in baseball. How do we make it happen? Some things we obviously can't control (how opponents do). There ARE a few things that can be done in the future to improve RPI. e.g. more road games. Don't need a crystal ball for that. Of course we all love home games - get to see our team and it's certainly easier on the team to get their school-work done, etc. with less travel, which is important. I'm not talking about NO home games. but maybe just a couple or few more road games could help? And of course taking care of business in games that can/should be won.

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    We need to get Brian to visit with Bab. Scheduling.
    Problem might be baseball schedules are typically done 3-4 years ahead and teams can change in that amount of time.

4. Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 9, Georgia State 2

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Problem might be baseball schedules are typically done 3-4 years ahead and teams can change in that amount of time.
    It would be fun to read (not compile) the projected RPI of future schedules (even if unfinished) to guage how much fluctuation there is down the road.

5. Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 9, Georgia State 2

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    It would be fun to read (not compile) the projected RPI of future schedules (even if unfinished) to guage how much fluctuation there is down the road.
    Do you really think that Babb gets that far into the weeds through a crystal ball as to what teams will look like with a totally different roster when he makes the schedule?

As far as the scheduling is concerned I think we scheduled fine except for a few games here and there. It just didn't turn out the way we wanted. Was it necessarily a good schedule? No. But losing 4 Q4 games at home will drag that RPI down. Just look at Texas sitting at #44.

Wright State is supposed to be a good RPI team. It didn't turn out that way this year.

Tulane actually worked their way up to RPI #100 after their sweep of ECU this weekend. I hope Tulane can work their way back to being relevant consistently on the diamond again.

Rice.well.I think we all wish and hope for them to get back to what they were years ago but its not happening. Its nice to have them on the schedule being so close to home for both fan bases. But they should stay off of our schedule until they turn things around.

La Tech is usually a good G5 team to play and it remains true this year.

McNeese and Nicholls can be tossups, but are generally good mid-week in-state opponents. I like having SLU on the schedule and would like to see them get back to what they were a few years back.

Going 2-1 in Houston would have been really nice. That was a disappointing weekend considering we were really in a position to win every game.

I would like to keep Southern, Grambling, HCU, and Prairie View off the schedule. Those are lose-lose situations.

My main gripe about the schedule is not getting a series against a P5 (be it home or away).

And of course there's nothing you can do about SBC opponents. We have to play Arkansas St and ULM every year. Again, just don't lose to Arkansas St at home. But those are conference opponents and it will happen from time to time. Good thing for everyone this year is that the Belt has improved significantly on the diamond. Its been a fun year for the Belt.

7. Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 9, Georgia State 2

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Do you really think that Babb gets that far into the weeds through a crystal ball as to what teams will look like with a totally different roster when he makes the schedule?
    Is that what you think I said?

What I meant to say was it would be fun to read (not compile) the projected RPI of future schedules (even if unfinished) to guage how much fluctuation there is down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    LOL.

Brian
    You think it’s funny this baw is encroaching on my fishing hole? Baws have been shot for that around these parts.

9. Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 9, Georgia State 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    You think it’s funny this baw is encroaching on my fishing hole? Baws have been shot for that around these parts.
    I’m moving to a 9” black and blue hog craw

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSID View Post
    I think have to take a second to recognize what UL is accomplishing. As Brian said, Cajuns did not have a schedule that could get them a host site. And honestly they probably had to win the league to get in period.

It’s nice to see they are in a conference whose reg season championship means something to the NCAA committee. Similar in softball now too.

Definitely not the case in basketball. As seen with James Madison, they basically flew through their reg season and were on the outside looking in had they not won the tournament.
    We played both LSU and Vandy in Houston. Those were supposed to be huge resume building games if we could steal a win. Well we lost both, and both teams have fallen greatly this season from their expectations.

Had those two had a normal season for their programs, and we happened to steal on, along with maybe sweeping Tulane (who appears to be having an off season as well), and won the series vs Coastal or Troy, it might be a resume to put us in the running to host. But none of that happened.

However, I think if you look at the schedule, and what was expected of some of those teams on it, the chance to host was there if we were to take care of business.

I would assume adding USM to the Belt threw a wrench in our OOC scheduling, as they were a frequent midweek opponent we could count on being fairly strong for years. Couple this with having two midweek drivable opponents (Rice and Tulane) as weekend series opponents, and maybe that’s how we ended up with 4 SWAC schools and a lower level Southland on the schedule this year? Seems like if we were to go a little further out for weekends or bring teams in from farther we could get Rice and Tulane back during the weeks and possibly be more selective with the SWAC and SLC programs we bring in.

Matters none. WE'RE GOING TO OMAHA, boys.

13. Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 9, Georgia State 2

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    we riding brooms?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    DAMN RIGHT.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7

Thread Information