Thread: D1 Field of 64 Projections

1. Default Re: D1 Field of 64 Projections

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    all of this may be hard to accept but it is not really hard to understand
    Bragging quota achieved.

Default Re: D1 Field of 64 Projections

all of this may be hard to accept but it is not really hard to understand
    True. It’s not hard to understand. I said “it would be nice”, meaning playing some other schools that we don’t see regularly

3. UL Baseball Re: D1 Field of 64 Projections

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    They also have Troy, Southern Miss and JMU in, which makes me think they may not be very reliable
    Yes ... silliness. James Madison is not in the field at the moment. Both Southern Miss and Troy are bubble teams. At the moment I think you would have Coastal, Louisiana, and Troy in the tournament ... with Troy being a bubble in. But they are sitting on the edge. The Cajuns are in because they would be conference champions ... not because of the other parts of their resume (some of the metrics the NCAA selection committee will not like).

The Cajuns are not presently a #2 seed ... and frankly it is not close. They can get there with a strong finish.

I have always thought that when you release these projections, it would be useful to reserve three spots as stolen bid spots. It would provide a more realistic projection of what would happen if the season ended that day and selections were being made. The way it is done now leads folks to believe that some conference is going to have X # of bids ... or that their school would be currently in the tournament because D1Baseball or someone else said so. TV media calling games fall for this all the time. Reserving three #4 seeds as "Stolen Bid 1", "Stolen Bid 2", and "Stolen Bid 3" would paint a realistic picture and the typical publication of a Last X Out would allow the reader to substitute "bubble out" teams for Stolen Bid teams such that the projection of fewer stolen bids can be modeled easily.

Brian

Presumably James Madison's problem is their conference finish (if the season ended today)? I guess their strong RPI wouldn't make up for that? I would love to see 4 teams from the Belt get in...

If cajuns are barely a 2 how would coastal have been in consideration for host?

6. Default Re: D1 Field of 64 Projections

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Here's the thing, though. While I'm not an RPI guru, or know really anything about the process, from everything I gather reading Brian's posts and watching our team with my own eyes, if we end up a #2 seed, it will be one of the last 2-seeds left to award.

It would make sense that a bottom 2-seed would be matched up vs. one of the very best 1-seeds, would it not? And your weaker 1-seeds would be matched up vs. one of your very best 2-seeds.
    Per my other post ... the Cajuns are not a 2 seed at the moment. They would need a strong finish to get there. If the Cajuns do not win the Sun Belt regular season, I do not think they make the tournament (as an at-large). That should give you an additional indicator as to where they are now.

Re: bottom 2-seeds paired with strong #1 seeds. It is one of the things that they consider and it is sometimes something they can do (within reason) ... just as with weak #4 seeds paired with strong #1 seeds. But geography is a more important consideration for the selection committee. The entire picture needs to be evaluated.

Brian

7. UL Baseball Re: D1 Field of 64 Projections

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    Presumably James Madison's problem is their conference finish (if the season ended today)? I guess their strong RPI wouldn't make up for that? I would love to see 4 teams from the Belt get in...
    Yes, this is one of their two big problems ... conference finish and record. They still have time to improve and move up ... along with a good conference tournament showing (the NCAA looks at overall conference record).

The other problem ... the reason they have an RPI ranking of 30 is due to some good scheduling. However, they did not win many of those games. Even if you include Q3 (Q1 + Q2 + Q3), they have a losing record (they are 11-3 in Q4). While they will get credit for a strong NC schedule, you need to win. There have been numerous teams in the past left out of the postseason with Top 30 RPIs ... notably from the power conferences. RPI is not an absolute by any means.

Now, they are still in the running for an at-large bid and have time to course correct. But they need a good finish while also hoping that stolen bids are as few as can be.

Brian

8. Default Re: D1 Field of 64 Projections

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    Yes, this is one of their two big problems ... conference finish and record. They still have time to improve and move up ... along with a good conference tournament showing (the NCAA looks at overall conference record).

The other problem ... the reason they have an RPI ranking of 30 is due to some good scheduling. However, they did not win many of those games. Even if you include Q3 (Q1 + Q2 + Q3), they have a losing record (they are 11-3 in Q4). While they will get credit for a strong NC schedule, you need to win. There have been numerous teams in the past left out of the postseason with Top 30 RPIs ... notably from the power conferences. RPI is not an absolute by any means.

Now, they are still in the running for an at-large bid and have time to course correct. But they need a good finish while also hoping that stolen bids are as few as can be.
    Another team that had better right the ship is Coastal. They are not a lock for the tournament. They might even be a #3 seed at the moment. Big series in Hattiesburg this weekend for both teams.

Brian

Wow (Coastal) from a legitimate likely host to potentially not making the tournament...

That's two YUGE series in the Belt this weekend! Should be some excellent baseball!

GEAUX CAJUNS!

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    Wow (Coastal) from a legitimate likely host to potentially not making the tournament...

That's two YUGE series in the Belt this weekend! Should be some excellent baseball!

GEAUX CAJUNS!
    It'll only take one bad weekend for UL to be knocked out of the projections or placed on the fence, too. Gotta play good ball the next 2 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    Good news. Upset #1 and the road to Omaha is easy. Hahaha
    This is the attitude to have.
    The 2000 team went on the road and beat #1 seed South Carolina.

It can be done.

12. Default Re: D1 Field of 64 Projections

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUNJUDO View Post
    This is the attitude to have.
    The 2000 team went on the road and beat #1 seed South Carolina.

It can be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    It'll only take one bad weekend for UL to be knocked out of the projections or placed on the fence, too. Gotta play good ball the next 2 weeks
    which fan do you want to be

13. Default Re: D1 Field of 64 Projections

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post

I would also add that JMU has been horrible on the road ... 7-14.

Brian

14. Default Re: D1 Field of 64 Projections

which fan do you want to be
    …….Well my man……why not ask it??? What is your starting lineup for next year and W/E starters?

Georgia state is about to lose at home to Jacksonville state. Great start to the midweek for the belt.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information