Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BB G2 final: Louisiana 2, Southern Miss 3

1. UL Baseball Re: BB G2 final: Louisiana 2, Southern Miss 3

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    Three strikeouts in the 9th with the tying run on base. I don't understand pinch hitting for Torres right there instead of pinch hitting for Alexander who struck out to end the game. I guess it must have been the right / left matchup, but I would still prefer Torres over the last two outs. Bats got to get going tomorrow versus tba!
    I did not like that move either. Additionally, you are down by one. If you happen to get one, you are minus your best defensive Catcher for extras.

Brian

2. Default Re: BB G2: Louisiana vs Southern Miss

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Keep in mind I’m not saying this is why we lost or questioning the decision. Our bats (other than Debo) have let us down big this weekend. However, Langevin when we bring him back around in a series this year:

Wright State: 1 IP 1 H 2 BB 1 ER
    Texas State: 1 IP 3 H 1 BB 2 ER
    ULM: 1 IP 1 H 1 R 0 ER 0 BB
    USM: 1 IP 1 H 1 HBP 1 ER

That’s good for an ERA of 9. Just something to keep in mind going forward. Definitely seems to be diminishing returns. Only 14 pitches last night though. It was almost a guarantee we’d see him again.
    I noticed this earlier in the year as well. And it is not just the number of pitches (and/or stress pitches), but getting hot in the pen costs something as well. I was hoping for a day off . and letting him go as long as possible on Sunday.

Brian

Default Re: BB G2 final: Louisiana 2, Southern Miss 3

Is it just me or do we tend to start hitting in the later innings
    I think we are very weak at the end of the batting lineup
    All can change quickly

USM tried to be Santa Clause, UL just didn’t open the gifts. Smoked both their challenges after two innings and failed to walk 2 4 in the 8th. First year HC coaching with ego.

Default Re: BB G2: Louisiana vs Southern Miss

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    I noticed this earlier in the year as well. And it is not just the number of pitches (and/or stress pitches), but getting hot in the pen costs something as well. I was hoping for a day off . and letting him go as long as possible on Sunday.

Brian
    Same. I figured we’d see LP for one of those 3-4 inning outings tomorrow. I get why they did it today, thinking he’d be today what he was last night, but I think there’s enough data now to show that he’s not comfortable with it.

Especially when Martinez was cruising.

As for the offense, Taylor, Lafleur, Higgs, and even Stelly are all streaky hitters. When they are going good, they’re all REALLY good. When they are all NOT going good…at the same time, it’s a pretty short lineup.

Hopefully a couple of them get going again tomorrow.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: BB G2 final: Louisiana 2, Southern Miss 3

Well, the CAJUNS can still win the series AND still win the Conference!! LET'S GEAUX!!!

#cULture
    #WeAreLouisiana
    #GeauxCajuns
    #BeatSouthernMiss

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    Same. I figured we’d see LP for one of those 3-4 inning outings tomorrow. I get why they did it today, thinking he’d be today what he was last night, but I think there’s enough data now to show that he’s not comfortable with it.

Especially when Martinez was cruising.

As for the offense, Taylor, Lafleur, Higgs, and even Stelly are all streaky hitters. When they are going good, they’re all REALLY good. When they are all NOT going good…at the same time, it’s a pretty short lineup.

Hopefully a couple of them get going again tomorrow.
    Agree. I was optimistic LP would be effective Sunday after throwing only 14 Friday.

JT Etheridge will do the job tomorrow.

What does USM have left for pitching? Anyone know who TBA is? Cajuns need to get the bats going early - and more than just Debarge.

Brian
    It’s a fair question, but he was 94-96 in the 9th, and the game-winning hit was as a mid-90’s fb that had some really good late movement.

Give USM credit for that. Reason game was lost was too many giveaway AB’s, particularly by a couple leftys.

Might be time to accept fact this offense isn’t very capable against above-avg to good pitching. It’s more than a trend.

Side note, Troy takes 2-0 series lead in Conway.

Yep. Troy is only 3 games behind the Cajuns after today's games. Gotta get back on track.

11. Default Re: BB G2: Louisiana vs Southern Miss

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSID View Post
    It’s a fair question, but he was 94-96 in the 9th, and the game-winning hit was as a mid-90’s fb that had some really good late movement.
    I saw the eventual game winning hit as a fastball up at the waist that caught a lot of the plate . and it did not have nearly the run his pitches did Friday night.

It is not the velocity, as that can be replicated for a while. A pitcher that is not fresh will tend to lose some of his command and/or movement. The first pitch to Broadus was not at all competitive . six to nine inches into the LH batter's box . missing Torres' target by about 18 inches. Broadus was able to give up on that pitch early. The next pitch (the base hit) was a 94 mph fastball up at the waist with a little arm-side run . but met the barrel middle in. It was not a good pitch and did not nearly exhibit the location and movement he had the night prior.

Brian

12. UL Baseball Re: BB G2: Louisiana vs Southern Miss

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    Agree. I was optimistic LP would be effective Sunday after throwing only 14 Friday.

JT Etheridge will do the job tomorrow.

What does USM have left for pitching? Anyone know who TBA is? Cajuns need to get the bats going early - and more than just Debarge.
    I was half expecting hard throwing JB Middleton to come on in relief today . especially in the 9th when Colby Allen had his struggles in the 8th. Given that he did not make an appearance, it may be a clue that Middleton will get the start. If not the start, he will be one of their key relievers. Middleton did get the mid-week start against Tulane, going just 2 innings.

But Middleton has not been a pitcher that has faced a lineup twice. Only twice in 18 outings has he seen the entire batting order . and in those cases only three hitters saw him twice. But he has good stuff. I have seen him at 96 with an upper 80's slider and a decent change. But if the Cajuns are patient at the plate, he will provide some free passes. I also expect that we will see lefty Chandler Best and Chase Adams some. Meanwhile, Sivley will be available again. Likely a committee approach, unless the Cajuns are not successful in getting anything done against someone.

Brian

13. Default Re: BB G2 final: Louisiana 2, Southern Miss 3

big bat day today

I saw the eventual game winning hit as a fastball up at the waist that caught a lot of the plate . and it did not have nearly the run his pitches did Friday night.

It is not the velocity, as that can be replicated for a while. A pitcher that is not fresh will tend to lose some of his command and/or movement. The first pitch to Broadus was not at all competitive . six to nine inches into the LH batter's box . missing Torres' target by about 18 inches. Broadus was able to give up on that pitch early. The next pitch (the base hit) was a 94 mph fastball up at the waist with a little arm-side run . but met the barrel middle in. It was not a good pitch and did not nearly exhibit the location and movement he had the night prior.

Brian
    Went and looked again and you are correct…was a bad pitch. He had some good pitches after that but clearly wasn’t as sharp. His C+ game is better than most A’s though!

Either way, again, when you have to throw close to a shutout seemingly most weekend games, that can hurt a pitcher almost as much as overuse.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSID View Post
    Went and looked again and you are correct…was a bad pitch. He had some good pitches after that but clearly wasn’t as sharp. His C+ game is better than most A’s though!

Either way, again, when you have to throw close to a shutout seemingly most weekend games, that can hurt a pitcher almost as much as overuse.
    I know he likes to pitch twice in a week, but LP act one and LP act two are different. We’ve seen it a few times this year. Not bad, just not the same success as the Friday close. TXST comes to mind as one that was a near miss.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information