Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9

Thread: BB Final: Louisiana 9, Houston Christian 10

Default Re: BB Final: Louisiana 9, Houston Christian 10

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    It’s been a rough couple of days for the conference as a whole.

Coastal got swept in two games at Creighton (who is very good, but they needed to win one of those), Georgia St lost to Presbyterian College, Georgia Southern lost to Mercer, ULM lost to Little Rock, and stAte lost to Central Arkansas…along with last night’s Cajun debacle

The SBC has dropped to #5 in the conference RPI rankings as a result
    No doubt. It's super tight from 4th to 7th. SBC lost all 4 non-conference games last night, including the Cajuns. Another night like this past Tues/Wed, and the SBC could easily be 7th.

We took the night off. And then when it was too late, we decided to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    We took the night off. And then when it was too late, we decided to compete.
    I feel like even that is being generous. I’d argue that Houston Christian gave us those 6 runs in the 5th besides the one double from Cuff I believe it was. Other than that, we don’t compete all night. JMO

It's baseball. Cajuns will be 'aight. 2014 had a head-scratching loss at home to UNO, I believe... That was the end of the world for many on here. LSU dropped a home game to Southern days after being run-ruled by the Cajuns. Flush. This. Game.

Winning 2/3 vs. Southern Miss would be OK, IMHO. A sweep would be even better and make up for the hiccup last night - with RPI identical to a win last night and 2/3 from USM this weekend. (3-1 record this week, either way)

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Let’s get over it.

We have a formidable opponent coming to town this weekend.

If we fester over last nights result, it may repeat itself.

#beatsothernmiss

#hirebradboyd
    Fans can fester. Players not so much.

6. Default Re: BB Final: Louisiana 9, Houston Christian 10

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    Fans can fester. Players not so much.
    I guess you weren’t at the game.

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    If they finished at .500 or under, they would not be eligible for NCAA Tournament play. Florida, Xavier, and Notre Dame are also at risk because of this rule (all ahead of the Cajuns in RPI). Connecticut and Ole Miss are only four games above .500.

Brian
    Am I understanding correctly that if a team is at .500 or below they are not eligible for a regional as an at-large bid? If so, how long has this been a thing?

8. Default Re: BB Final: Louisiana 9, Houston Christian 10

Quote Originally Posted by MountainDew View Post
    Am I understanding correctly that if a team is at .500 or below they are not eligible for a regional as an at-large bid? If so, how long has this been a thing?
    Correct. This has been part of the selection criteria since I began tracking this stuff ... late 80's. All at-large teams must have winning records.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    Correct. This has been part of the selection criteria since I began tracking this stuff ... late 80's. All at-large teams must have winning records.

Brian
    Brian - question - when was the last time a regular season SBC champ was left out of the Tournament? Context: If the Cajuns take care of business and win the regular season conference championship, I would think they would be essentially assured of a bid. Is that correct?

And would the place of finish (4 through 7th) for the conference as a whole impact that answer?

10. UL Baseball Re: BB Final: Louisiana 9, Houston Christian 10

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    Brian - question - when was the last time a regular season SBC champ was left out of the Tournament? Context: If the Cajuns take care of business and win the regular season conference championship, I would think they would be essentially assured of a bid. Is that correct?

And would the place of finish (4 through 7th) for the conference as a whole impact that answer?
    Yes, the committee would look at conference strength overall, absolutely.

Since the new 64-team tournament format commenced in 1999, only 5 of 24 Sun Belt champions (regular season conference champions) did not receive a bid to the NCAA Tournament (There was no postseason tournament in 2020).

2019 Texas State was the Sun Belt West Champion and had the top overall conference record, but with an RPI ranking of 52 (selection time), did not receive an at-large bid and missed the postseason. Sun Belt Conference RPI ranking was #10.

2017 Coastal Carolina was the Sun Belt champion, but with an RPI ranking of 59 after their 2016 national championship season, was not selected to postseason play. But keep in mind, RPI is not the only factor here ... CC went 0-6 vs. the RPI Top 25 and 2-8 vs. the RPI Top 50. Sun Belt Conference RPI ranking was #10.

2015 South Alabama was the Sun Belt champion, but had an RPI ranking of 81 and missed postseason play. Sun Belt Conference RPI ranking was #13.

2012 Florida Atlantic was the Sun Belt champion, but had an RPI ranking of 79 and missed postseason play. Sun Belt Conference RPI ranking was #16.

2008 ULMost was the Sun Belt champion, but had an RPI ranking of 94 and missed postseason play. Sun Belt Conference RPI ranking was #10.

On the flip side, here are some regular season conference champions that were awarded at-large bids with RPIs in the 40's+ (only going back to 2010 ... as there are others) ...

2021 South Alabama 58 (Conference RPI ranking 10)
    2016 South Alabama 49 (Sun Belt co-champion with Louisiana) (Conference RPI ranking 10)
    2013 Troy 40 (Conference RPI ranking 5)
    2011 Troy 50 (Conference RPI ranking 6)
    2010 Louisiana 43 (Sun Belt co-champion with #38 Florida Atlantic) (Conference RPI ranking 6)

Brian

11. Default

I did not remember Coastal Carolina being in the SBC in 2017

Thank you Brian! Great information, as always! I think Cajuns should be good if we can take care of business in the regular season by winning vs JSU and 2/3 remaining weekends... which would mean Cajun RPI is probably at least in the 40's... and the SBC should maintain at least a Top 7 rank...

Turbine - I seem to recall that they entered the year after they won it all.... so I think Brian is right... I remember when they beat TSAB in Refineryville - telling Trigger fans that they would be in the SBC next year... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I did not remember Coastal Carolina being in the SBC in 2017

They joined the SBC a day or two after they won the 2016 National Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    They joined the SBC a day or two after they won the 2016 National Championship.
    They actually officially joined the SBC prior to winning the championship, but of course the Sun Belt did not receive credit for the national championship because CC played as a representative from another conference.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9

Thread Information