Thread: Magic Numbers

UL Softball Magic Numbers

With six conference games remaining, all SBC teams other than Louisiana, Texas State, South Alabama and James Madison have been mathematically eliminated from winning even a share of the regular season championship.

The Cajuns magic number to clinch the title is now 3 over Texas State [any combination of Cajun wins and Bobcat losses of 3].
    Over South Alabama it is 2, and over James Madison it is 1.

Default Re: Magic Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    With six conference games remaining, all SBC teams other than Louisiana, Texas State, South Alabama and James Madison have been mathematically eliminated from winning even a share of the regular season championship.

The Cajuns magic number to clinch the title is now 3 over Texas State [any combination of Cajun wins and Bobcat losses of 3].
    Over South Alabama it is 2, and over James Madison it is 1.
    That’s incredible to me. Think anyone who followed this team at the beginning of the year were rightly concerned we might not win the league. They have been fantastic in conf play.

Geaux Cajuns!!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSID View Post
    That’s incredible to me. Think anyone who followed this team at the beginning of the year were rightly concerned we might not win the league. They have been fantastic in conf play.

Geaux Cajuns!!
    And against a much improved Sun Belt Conference. Together we rise!

The SBC is definitely on an upward trend. We [SBC] are still not where I would like to see us be consistently. That won't happen until we see better scheduling from our conference mates. Right now, only Louisiana, Texas State and South Alabama build their schedules with the idea of getting an at large bid. We need the other programs in the conference to work their way toward that goal a well. James Madison and Coastal Carolina in the East and ULM in the West seem to be moving in the right direction. If those three plus Troy and USM get their act together, the SBC could easily surpass the current Big 10. With the Pac 12 going the way of the dinosaurs, and those programs ending up in the other P-4, and with Texas and Oklahoma gone to the SEC, The pecking order could well change permanently to SEC, ACC, Big 10 then SBC, Big 12, AAC, MWC as early as next season.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    The SBC is definitely on an upward trend. We [SBC] are still not where I would like to see us be consistently. That won't happen until we see better scheduling from our conference mates. Right now, only Louisiana, Texas State and South Alabama build their schedules with the idea of getting an at large bid. We need the other programs in the conference to work their way toward that goal a well. James Madison and Coastal Carolina in the East and ULM in the West seem to be moving in the right direction. If those three plus Troy and USM get their act together, the SBC could easily surpass the current Big 10. With the Pac 12 going the way of the dinosaurs, and those programs ending up in the other P-4, and with Texas and Oklahoma gone to the SEC, The pecking order could well change permanently to SEC, ACC, Big 10 then SBC, Big 12, AAC, MWC as early as next season.
    Check your bigs, I believe you have them reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    Check your bigs, I believe you have them reversed.
    UCLA [RPI 13], Washington [25] and Oregon [29] go to the Big 10. Those 3 will be the top of the league, and will pull up the RPI of the other teams in the league.

Arizona [22], Utah [43] and Arizona St. [90] go to the Big 12.

You may be right. While the loss of Texas and Oklahoma will definitely weaken the Big 12 at the top, and the teams going to the Big 10 will definitely make that league better, the Big 12's overall balance and strength top to bottom should keep them above the Big 10, even though their additions are not as good as the teams going to the Big 10.

Thanks for making me look again.

One other thing. The Big 12 will have 11 softball teams next year. Too bad the SBC sponsors Softball; otherwise I believe we would be invited to become # 12.

Thread Information