Thread: Lagniappe Day Turns 50

1. Louisiana Lagniappe Day Turns 50

Students at the University of Louisiana celebrated Lagniappe Day, a tradition that goes back 50 years.

Lagniappe, of course, means "a little something extra" in Cajun French.

Default Re: Lagniappe Day Turns 50

Hard to believe it was just getting started when I was in college. Back then we had a day off from classes. Usually on a Wednesday I think. Was a lot of fun

Met ex wife on Langiappe day in spring of my 2nd Freshman year. Albeit I was completely blitzed at our crawfish boil in Gerard Park. On a Wednesday.....Circa 1984

4. Default Re: Lagniappe Day Turns 50

I was at the first one way back when. Man, am I old....

5. Default Re: Lagniappe Day Turns 50

Quote Originally Posted by Gueydanmike1969 View Post
    I was at the first one way back when. Man, am I old....
    you are just seasoned

Ditto Mike, me too!

I was in college when the first day happened
    It was due to our basketball team getting g the death penalty and no spring basketball
    Tha is what we were told

So now that I see there are a few other wise men on here; I was a freshman in 74, I remember having a function in the Student Union. I don't think it was Lagniappe Day but they played highlights of our basketball team from a projector onto the wall (big screen) and I remember 5 cent beer.

I also remember what may have been the first Lagniappe Day in Blackham Coliseum; we had plenty of crawfish, beer and pretty women. Man, did God love us Cajuns!

What they do today shouldn’t be called lagniappe day. It’s a disgrace to what it once was.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    So now that I see there are a few other wise men on here; I was a freshman in 74, I remember having a function in the Student Union. I don't think it was Lagniappe Day but they played highlights of our basketball team from a projector onto the wall (big screen) and I remember 5 cent beer.

I also remember what may have been the first Lagniappe Day in Blackham Coliseum; we had plenty of crawfish, beer and pretty women. Man, did God love us Cajuns!
    Dang, I was there. Only thing I remember that day was driving the wrong way down a one way. God does love us, saved my drunken butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    What they do today shouldn’t be called lagniappe day. It’s a disgrace to what it once was.
    Kinda like Greek tailgating. You are 100% correct. Just killing another tradition to build future donors.

I was a sophomore that spring. Only thing I remember was it was because the basketball team got the death penalty.

I remember having boiled crawfish at Blackham on the first Lagniappe day. I was 4 years old living in vet village.

We must have been at the same events.

14. Default Re: Lagniappe Day Turns 50

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    I remember having boiled crawfish at Blackham on the first Lagniappe day. I was 4 years old living in vet village.
    Wow, I am having a difficult time remembering things that happened 4 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Wow, I am having a difficult time remembering things that happened 4 years ago.
    I remember that one because my neighbor back then and still friend ran into someone carrying a full tray off crawfish and it spilled all over him.

Thread Information