Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: La Tech and Marshall impact

Default Re: La Tech and Marshall impact

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCajun View Post
    We play GS on the road, they are already Q1…so is coastal
    Should have said stay In Q1

2. UL Baseball Re: La Tech and Marshall impact

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Do we have scheduling problem? If so, how should we build a schedule?

Appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Thanks.
    First, would I have done some things differently ... which do not require timely knowledge? Certainly. Taking better advantage of the home/road multiplier disparity is one ... but needs to be weighed in the context of putting together a good home schedule for the fans. Some of the teams scheduled could be improved. And I am referring to the part of the schedule that gets added in months before ... not two years in advance.

But I think that some of what we are seeing is simply the schedule being back loaded a bit due to how the conference schedule came out. Some of this will resolve itself.

That said, I think there is a difference between assembling a schedule with the goal of obtaining an at-large bid ... and assembling a schedule with the goal of being a national seed. What we have in 2024 is not a national seed schedule. Making it fit as such would require winning a substantial number of games ... while not squandering Q1 opportunities. Very difficult to do ... much easier to do with a stronger schedule (allowing more losses) and more road games.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Do we have scheduling problem? If so, how should we build a schedule?

Appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Thanks.
    Noticed too many SWAC teams. Historically one of the weaker conferences. Is it a scheduling issue? Money? Good question to straight up ask Deggs.

Where’s UNO, they’re usually on the schedule?

Be a shame come May had too many cupcakes on the schedule.

4. UL Baseball Re: La Tech and Marshall impact

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Noticed too many SWAC teams. Historically one of the weaker conferences. Is it a scheduling issue? Money? Good question to straight up ask Deggs.

Just to be clear ... not all SWAC is bad. SWAC teams have been instrumental in good softball and baseball schedules. But you need the right ones (good programs) and do not over-schedule them. And win.

Example, Jackson State is a good opponent to have this season ... despite the #232 ranking (RPI rankings can be very misleading).

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post

Where’s UNO, they’re usually on the schedule?

We are sitting at 51 with road series at #21 and #47, home series with #36 left on the schedule. USA and Troy at 71 and 84…already swept 53. Take care of business and we will be fine. We have 3 series left in the top 50 and 1 in the top 25 on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCajun View Post
    We are sitting at 51 with road series at #21 and #47, home series with #36 left on the schedule. USA and Troy at 71 and 84…already swept 53. Take care of business and we will be fine. We have 3 series left in the top 50 and 1 in the top 25 on the road.
    Yeah, you'll be fine to make the field, but there should not be any conversation about hosting (unless the win streak never ends, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    Yeah, you'll be fine to make the field, but there should not be any conversation about hosting (unless the win streak never ends, lol)
    We don’t know that, no clue what our opponents or their opponents will do. A lot of variables. We earned our at large in the conference tourney last year, we halfway through the season with the meat of our schedule left.

8. Default Re: La Tech and Marshall impact

Being awarded an “at large” bid is totally different than Boeing awarded a host site.

Where is the game thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    Where is the game thread?
    Just made one

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Being awarded an “at large” bid is totally different than Boeing awarded a host site.
    Of course it is, but it’s not the conference tournament yet. We have, our opponents have and their opponents have roughly 22 regular season games left. That’s a lot of equation left and winning %’s TBD before conference tournaments.

I’ve had mixed opinions about the RPI for years. On one hand, there are 300+ D1 schools that play baseball and I feel it is necessary to have a ranking system like this as a sort of baseline.

But we all know the RPI giveth and the RPI taketh away. This is one of those years where the RPI isn’t in our favor. Wright State was supposed to be a boost for us but that’s not the case. Tulane is meh. The Rice series is haunting us. I like the thought of playing Rice every year between Lafayette and Houston but we should stop until they can get back to a .500 record. Of course if we do what we should have done and win the series it’s not as bad.

We’re coming up on some better matchups the last few weeks of the season. Keep playing good ball and we’ll be ok. I think a host spot will likely be out of the question though.

Brian,

Several years ago, if I am remembering the events correctly, you and Michael Lotief met and discussed the fallacies in the softball rpi. You came up with improvements, presented them to the NFCA, the NFCA brought them to the NCAA and got the changes made. Would you be willing and able to get with Coach Deggs and see about doing the same thing for baseball?

14. UL Baseball Re: La Tech and Marshall impact

Quote Originally Posted by lcitsh View Post
    Brian,

Several years ago, if I am remembering the events correctly, you and Michael Lotief met and discussed the fallacies in the softball rpi. You came up with improvements, presented them to the NFCA, the NFCA brought them to the NCAA and got the changes made. Would you be willing and able to get with Coach Deggs and see about doing the same thing for baseball?
    Yes, the softball RPI recommendations were actually 12 years ago. But only one of the recommendations was adopted ... the recommendation to remove RPI bonuses for conference opponents (which did help ... and was a significant unfair advantage to the elite conferences). They were too reticent to rock the boat by making any further changes at that time. There were no further requests for information in subsequent years. In the 2014 season, the Cajuns finished with the #6 RPI ranking (selection time) ... but would have been #12 under the old system. The Cajuns hosted both regionals and super-regionals enroute to the WCWS.

If Deggs/baseball ever wanted advice on the matter, I would be happy to speak with them. But I think Deggs has better things to do than to lobby the NCAA for RPI changes. I think the best tact to take at this point in time is to game the heck out of a faulty system ... and if they change the system to account for this, so be it.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    Yes, the softball RPI recommendations were actually 12 years ago. But only one of the recommendations was adopted ... the recommendation to remove RPI bonuses for conference opponents (which did help ... and was a significant unfair advantage to the elite conferences). They were too reticent to rock the boat by making any further changes at that time. There were no further requests for information in subsequent years. In the 2014 season, the Cajuns finished with the #6 RPI ranking (selection time) ... but would have been #12 under the old system. The Cajuns hosted both regionals and super-regionals enroute to the WCWS.

If Deggs/baseball ever wanted advice on the matter, I would be happy to speak with them. But I think Deggs has better things to do than to lobby the NCAA for RPI changes. I think the best tact to take at this point in time is to game the heck out of a faulty system ... and if they change the system to account for this, so be it.

Brian
    You should have that conversation, on how to game the faulty system, with Coach Bab...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information