Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: P5 NIL Collectives & Revenue by School

Default Re: NIL Collectives & Revenue by School - P5

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Caitlin Clark has NIL deals that have netted her over $5,000,000 in her 4 years at Iowa. Livvy Dunne at LSU was rich on NIL deals before she went to LSU. Of course, neither school is involved in those deals, Dunne being a Social Media star on her own, and Clark having national endorsements from major companies totally independent of Iowa.

Very few male athletes even come close to those two.
    I think very few college athletes in general can claim REAL NIL value. Most players receiving NIL payments don't deserve any money based on NIL alone. It is just being used as a vehicle to pay players.

What it says to me is that CMD is not going to recruit players that are good enough to receive NIL offers from other schools at our level. If that is what you mean by "reactive", I agree.
    And that likely applies to every other G5 school as well. The P5 & G5 separation is ever widening with G5 schools becoming feeders for the P5 as they cherry-pick the best players. Getting 1 entry in the playoffs out of some 65 G5 schools with diminished bowl games does not bode well for G5. Perhaps a G5 National Championship would be better for G5 schools than what we have now. We can discuss what that format might look like.
    That would appear to be better than what we have now.

I could envision many different future scenarios, including one where this whole P2 endeavor collapses and the PAC reforms and other regional corrections.

If the whole P2 thing succeeds, it will probably be only around 40-50 schools. They only have room for a few more, probably from the group of Clemson, FSU, Virginia and UNC. This still leaves the bulk of current FBS schools not in the P2. From here, I believe there are 2 paths forward for the FBS.

1) ACC backfills, and we continue the current system, receiving less and less attention as time goes by, becoming less sustainable as TV money dries up.

2) FBS takes this golden opportunity to reform itself and create excitement and interest. One way to do this is to separate out Football and build a pro/rel system within FBS. The rest of the sports could remain as is in their current conferences. They would probably be some reorganization among these conference memberships as conference look to cut costs and becomre more regional.

4. Default Re: NIL Collectives & Revenue by School - P5

I don't think the talent gap between P5 an G5 (on the field) will change at all.

No matter how much they "openly" pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I don't think the talent gap between P5 an G5 (on the field) will change at all.

No matter how much they "openly" pay.
    Could be a problem if they pay so much that then they dont need to still do scholarships and way more than 85 "paid" players could be on team "in walk on slots"

6. Default Re: NIL Collectives & Revenue by School - P5

Quote Originally Posted by R1Letterman View Post
    Could be a problem if they pay so much that then they dont need to still do scholarships and way more than 85 "paid" players could be on team "in walk on slots"
    Won't affect the talent gap unless a team is severly affected by injuries.

Currently there is a roster limit of 105. Of course, that could change.

Currently there is a roster limit of 105. Of course, that could change.
    so they could take an extra 25 scholarship quality type players currently on full ride at g5 and pay them nil, and classify them as walkons

may not lead to their team getting better but certainly could widen the gap if those players are no longer on the g5 team

10. Default Re: NIL Collectives & Revenue by School - P5

so they could take an extra 25 scholarship quality type players currently on full ride at g5 and pay them nil, and classify them as walkons
    That would still not affect the talent gap.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information