Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: On Being UL

Default On Being UL

Crossword clue, 5 letters:
    Ideological businessman.
    BROKE

We have all worked with and for various businesses. We’ve seen good ones, and some not-so-good. A few observations:

A good business watches the competition.

A great business watches the market.

A poor business does neither. It keeps doing the same thing, over and over. A poor business sticks to ideology, insisting the market should be what it isn’t any more, and perhaps never was.

There is a fourth type of business that isn’t necessarily the ‘best’, or at least not the most profitable; and that is the trail-blazer. The true innovator not only anticipates the market, he changes it. The visionary business creates something that people did not see coming, and did not know they needed, nor even wanted.

Now, unless the visionary business has iron-clad protection for intellectual properties, it is rarely the most profitable, and in fact, it often fails. Look at the Wright Brothers… and then look at their descendant Jack Northrup, who gave us the flying wing. Neither created businesses that survived. It is ironic, but the business that all the other businesses chase, is often not the most profitable.

For the university, however, generating visionary innovations, being the trail-blazer, brings the most students, researchers, donations, political support, and research grants. That’s an important difference between a business and a university.

I am working on my next book which has the modest title, On Being Einstein. That may sound ridiculous, but my thesis is quite simple: What makes for an Einstein? Is it someone with a great memory and a very fast, powerful mind? Or is it someone who is willing to ask questions, and consider daring ideas, that others are not willing to consider?

Put in those terms, the questions are clearly rhetorical. We have all known people with fantastic memories and fast, powerful minds. But I would guess that none of us have ever met someone to rival Einstein.

So if I were to write, ‘On Being UL,’ what might that mean? And as you read through the following, ask yourself where we really want UL to excel… or if we would rather to stick to passing, outdated, ideas.

Because most of the people here talk sports, and only sports. When someone as rude as myself asks, Why do we play sports? I get answers such as:

“You have to have sports. Sports bring in donors, students, political support, researchers, and national recognition.”

I remember an administrator who insisted the same things to me some years back. I thought about it, and I said, “I know someone who proves you wrong.” He sneered and asked, “Who?”

And I looked at him and said, “You.” It was true; even though UL has had variable success in athletics, and even though we’re certainly not one of the big-time sports programs, this guy had brought in dramatic improvements in donors, students, political support, researchers, and national recognition with his programs.

Again, that was some years back. So let’s review that list.

Donors: UL is wrapping up a half-billion dollar fund-raising campaign. The other schools in the UL System, and most of the schools in the ‘Belt, can’t imagine such a thing. Not many schools of our size can.

Students: UL is only growing slowly in numbers, but quite rapidly in the caliber of the students we are admitting. Which is the best we can do in the short run, because we don’t yet have anywhere to put more students.

That aside, here’s a question I don’t hear asked: What kind of student do we want? And what kind of student do big-time sports bring in?

Are we sure they are the same?

It’s an important question. I recently watched the LSU president testify before the state Senate, and he was talking about how LSU needed more money because they were losing prized students to other states. When he was asked where LSU was losing students, in order he mentioned Alabama, UL, (yes, he called us UL) and then other places. Now, I don’t know why no one asked him how he considered losing students to another state school was a problem for the legislature; nor do I know why no one asked him how UL was doing this without asking for more money.

However, the question may be moot, because our students are attending games less and less. As we get more of the students we want, why do they attend games less? And how is it we are pulling students from LSU, which has the athletics program so many people think we absolutely need?

Is it possible that, more and more, the students we really want are looking for... academics?

Political Support: We have been mopping up in Baton Rouge recently, pulling in major bucks to build out our facilities and our capacity. Fortunately, our administrators are smart enough to go about this quietly, and dodge the kind of in-state sabotage we have faced for decades (tell ‘em about it, Turbine). Our people turn up, show legislators the numbers, and let them draw their own conclusions. And there is a growing awareness in the BR Skyscraper that maybe universities should be focusing on things other than than sports; and that, maybe, the state needs to start investing in academic success, rather than farm teams.

Researchers: We passed up LSU in funded research in 2022. I don’t think any of us can wrap our heads around the enormity of that. LSU has three times our faculty, four times our funding, and five times our doctoral programs…

...and we passed them up. Again, our administrators are playing those cards very quietly, but eyes are opening up in the Capital. And our people are quietly suggesting to the Leg that it invest more in the schools that are producing.

National Recognition: First, why do we need national recognition except to get donors, students, political support, and researchers? Second, are we sure that national recognition in sports gets the kind of resources we really want?

Because trust me, other universities and granting agencies— and from the preceding, apparently students and donors— are noticing our rapid rise in academics.

We have said we want to make the P4. I am watching the ever-deepening hole into which the P4 schools are pouring their resources; not just money, but administration attention, student attention, donor and governmental attention. How much are we willing to chase all those March hares down their endless warrens?

I’m not suggesting we get rid of athletics, nor even that we de-emphasize athletics. Rather, I’m urging us all to consider: Who are we? And what might UL become with a reconsideration of our priorities?

Who is UL?

We hate LSU so much we want to be just like them. Sure, LSU is the flagship... of a bunch of listing, rustbucket tubs. And yes, LSU sits atop the hill… but it’s the worst dump in the country.

Go back and look at my comments, consider what we have done with pitiful resources. Then ask yourself, Which would we choose: to be another LSU, another under-producing sports-addled campus that leads our state nowhere?

Or something else, maybe something that does not exist elsewhere, something visionary?

What might we accomplish if we play to our strengths? Could we help lead Louisiana to better education, higher incomes, cleaner industries, less poverty, less crime, and less wasted human potential?

Why should we continue to compare ourselves to LSU?

Do we want to be the ideological business, sticking to an outdated paradigm simply because we refuse to re-think it? Or do we want to look, not just at the competition, not just at the markets...

...but at the future? Great minds and great universities don’t respond to the future, they design it. They show people things they didn’t know they needed, nor even that they wanted.

Louisiana needs a new, more intelligent way forward.

And thinking in outmoded ways will never make that happen.

Default Re: On Being UL

PS I took out a comment, "not even me". I was referring to the fact that I'm the guy who posts the most about academics here, but reading it back over I realized it came across as something quite different. Apologies for any offenses.

"Why should we continue to compare ourselves to LSU?"

In the thread with your original comment, LSU was not mentioned until you chose to bring them in to a discussion revolving around UL and a conference mate. You also began the discussion of comparing UL to our conference mate in terms of an athletic facility. So who are you speaking to specifically?

Fun, should be an interesting legislative session. Acadiana lost a ton of stroke due to term limits cycle. How long will it be before Louisiana State goes back to their old ways of getting programs eliminated because they outshine their own.

A big tell will also be if funding remains in the DOTD budget for 3.2 miles of elevated freeway (I49) at Willow to bid in August.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Fun, should be an interesting legislative session. Acadiana lost a ton of stroke due to term limits cycle. How long will it be before Louisiana State goes back to their old ways of getting programs eliminated because they outshine their own.

A big tell will also be if funding remains in the DOTD budget for 3.2 miles of elevated freeway (I49) at Willow to bid in August.
    I will respond. You are right that we are a academic institution first. Everything for the most part should be seperating ourselves from the NWST, McNeese etc. when it comes to academics including LSU. We should be the trailblazers in Louisiana. And UL has done a terrific job.

Just realize the state controls the funding except for outside grants and can knock us down at any time.

Staying behind the scenes is not always a good thing.

Sports brings light to all these areas you are talking about these accomplishments will be brought to light with success on the field.

This is why we need to establish us as being the University of Louisiana in the classroom, research grants, academics, and sports to help bring light to the accomplishments we have made and to bring in donors that wouldnt know otherwise.

We need to become that University on and off the field and the more pressure we put on LSU which is the state flagship the better we become as a University

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post

With term limits that will be the case every four years. Acadiana still in good shape though. The Governor & Speaker of the House are from Acadiana as are some influential committee chairmen. Agree we need to keep a close eye on the I49 funding inching its way forward.

Interesting...thanks as always to cajun fun.

Check this part out....(though why could a prof in louisiana not do the same research?)

Louisiana is no exception. Its population is shrinking while its birth rate is declining. According to Carleton College professor Nathan Grawe, Louisiana is projected to experience a 7.5% to 15% decline in college-going students by 2029, the Public Affairs Research Council detailed in a report on falling enrollment earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by R1Letterman View Post

Check this part out....(though why could a prof in louisiana not do the same research?)

Louisiana is no exception. Its population is shrinking while its birth rate is declining. According to Carleton College professor Nathan Grawe, Louisiana is projected to experience a 7.5% to 15% decline in college-going students by 2029, the Public Affairs Research Council detailed in a report on falling enrollment earlier this year.
    Well we are losing the best and the brightest. I am just being realistic, if a student is excelling and graduated top of his class with a 4.0 with multiple scholarships do you think that student will stay in Louisiana? Maybe, but lets say he does, is that student will move elsewhere out of state for a higher paying position? I will have to say yes.

Louisiana economically cannot compete with Texas, Florida, North Carolina, Maryland etc.

This is where economic development needs to take place within the state to keep our best talent statewide.

What are we doing to bring in talent from elsewhere? If i was from NC what incentive do I have from moving to Louisiana? Better opportunity? Better Pay?

I am not going to play the victim card or anything, but any of those jobs that pay, will be operating under the good old boy network, where you will have to know someone to get into that type of position.

It already does, other places do not operate that way.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post

Students: UL is only growing slowly in numbers, but quite rapidly in the caliber of the students we are admitting. Which is the best we can do in the short run, because we don’t yet have anywhere to put more students.

That aside, here’s a question I don’t hear asked: What kind of student do we want? And what kind of student do big-time sports bring in?

Are we sure they are the same?

It’s an important question. I recently watched the LSU president testify before the state Senate, and he was talking about how LSU needed more money because they were losing prized students to other states. When he was asked where LSU was losing students, in order he mentioned Alabama, UL, (yes, he called us UL) and then other places. Now, I don’t know why no one asked him how he considered losing students to another state school was a problem for the legislature; nor do I know why no one asked him how UL was doing this without asking for more money.

However, the question may be moot, because our students are attending games less and less. As we get more of the students we want, why do they attend games less? And how is it we are pulling students from LSU, which has the athletics program so many people think we absolutely need?

Is it possible that, more and more, the students we really want are looking for... academics?
    Our students are not attending "games" less and less. They are attending OUR games less and less. We are not exclusively admitting some new breed of hyper academic-focused powerhouses who don't have time for athletics. Our entrance requirements have gone by the wayside. We will take just about anyone who wants to attend (the extraordinary and the mediocre). The primary thing most of the incoming freshmen have in common is that their trip to Cajun Field for the publicity stunt photo for "largest incoming class" will be their first and last trip to that facility.

I'm not sure how your theory that their are two mutually exclusive groups of students (those who are drawn by big-time sports and those who are drawn by academics) holds up to any level of scrutiny. Duke is one of the most selective universities in the country and is a research powerhouse. They have the "Cameron Crazies." Does these students interest in big-time sports suddenly make them a less desirable class of individual for the university? Did Duke's rigorous acceptance process fail to turn up the purest of the pure academics?

As you are so academically focused, I have no idea how often you attend our athletic events. If you do attend a game, you will surely notice the age of the average attendee. How did VOB so eloquently put it? "Bingo night at the Senior Center?" Again, this is not because our students and recent grads have no interest in sports. They aren't sitting at home on Saturday nights cuddled up with a good book or at small gatherings with friends discussing politics and philosophy. OUR people are at THEIR games. These UL/Acadiana lovers with "Shop Local" bumper stickers on their cars are heading East on the basin with their entertainment dollars. What an absolute waste, and we are to blame. There is something fundamentally wrong with the way we are engaging with our younger base.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    I will respond. You are right that we are a academic institution first. Everything for the most part should be seperating ourselves from the NWST, McNeese etc. when it comes to academics including LSU. We should be the trailblazers in Louisiana. And UL has done a terrific job.

Just realize the state controls the funding except for outside grants and can knock us down at any time.

Staying behind the scenes is not always a good thing.

Sports brings light to all these areas you are talking about these accomplishments will be brought to light with success on the field.

This is why we need to establish us as being the University of Louisiana in the classroom, research grants, academics, and sports to help bring light to the accomplishments we have made and to bring in donors that wouldnt know otherwise.

We need to become that University on and off the field and the more pressure we put on LSU which is the state flagship the better we become as a University
    You make some very good points... but I don't want to separate. That's the kind of thinking that has held Louisiana back.

In fact, it's the result of the football mentality that we have inherited from LSU. Football, and all sports, are win-lose propositions. Someone wins and moves forward, someone loses and drops back. But the system doesn't progress. The win-lose mentality is a zero-sum game. It takes everyone nowhere.

I want us to start talking about being inclusive. That's where my whole post was going, let's redesign Louisiana so that everyone prospers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    Well we are losing the best and the brightest. I am just being realistic, if a student is excelling and graduated top of his class with a 4.0 with multiple scholarships do you think that student will stay in Louisiana? Maybe, but lets say he does, is that student will move elsewhere out of state for a higher paying position? I will have to say yes.

Louisiana economically cannot compete with Texas, Florida, North Carolina, Maryland etc.

This is where economic development needs to take place within the state to keep our best talent statewide.

What are we doing to bring in talent from elsewhere? If i was from NC what incentive do I have from moving to Louisiana? Better opportunity? Better Pay?

I am not going to play the victim card or anything, but any of those jobs that pay, will be operating under the good old boy network, where you will have to know someone to get into that type of position.

It already does, other places do not operate that way.
    The state is losing our best & brightest... but do you have data that UL is?

Every school in the world suffers from some out-migration. Some of their graduates are going to leave. The question needs to be, are you bringing in more graduates from other schools, then you are losing to other states.

Because Lafayette and the surrounding area are constantly growing. We added a community college system across the region, and our numbers at UL, and our numbers in the region, did not drop. We are educating more people, and they seem to be staying here.

I would guess that just about all the schools in the state are suffering from out-migration, except for us.

Again, what could we do if we stopped thinking in outmoded ways? Can we design a new approach to the university? And from that, can we rethink how higher education, and the state, can both prosper?

Quote Originally Posted by R1Letterman View Post

Below credit from Team Kennedy for President. Future of Higher Education needs to be discussed.

College is not for everyone. Four years of education (plus grad school) is necessary to train scholars, engineers, doctors, and scientists, but most jobs simply do not require a college education. In fact, only about a quarter of people with degrees have jobs that are related to them.

Approximately 41 percent of all recent graduates are working jobs that do not require a college degree. College degrees are now required for many jobs that once only required a high school diploma. Some 17 percent of hotel clerks and 23.5 percent of amusement park attendants hold 4-year degrees.

Unfortunately, federal funding is only available for traditional degree programs. Our administration will explore making Title IV funding available for other kinds of programs, including “microcredentials” and “nanocredentials” which give people the specific, useful training they need in the job marketplace .

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    The state is losing our best & brightest... but do you have data that UL is?

Every school in the world suffers from some out-migration. Some of their graduates are going to leave. The question needs to be, are you bringing in more graduates from other schools, then you are losing to other states.

Because Lafayette and the surrounding area are constantly growing. We added a community college system across the region, and our numbers at UL, and our numbers in the region, did not drop. We are educating more people, and they seem to be staying here.

I would guess that just about all the schools in the state are suffering from out-migration, except for us.

Again, what could we do if we stopped thinking in outmoded ways? Can we design a new approach to the university? And from that, can we rethink how higher education, and the state, can both prosper?
    How the University should operate, and it was my mistake when i went to college.

We need to figure out what are the fastest growing industries in the state, put money and try to push more kids into those type of fields.

For example all Universitiies within the state need to get with the Louisiana economic development board or whatever it is called to see what are the long-term goals as far as industries and jobs they are looking to add to the economy of Louisiana.

Then the University needs to promote those majors and industries and put money in programs to build up those majors at the University so we can have the people necessary to develop those industries!

Also the bigger cities in Louisiana need to get with the Universities and the state to figure out how to get those industries to come to Louisiana.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan96 View Post
    Below credit from Team Kennedy for President. Future of Higher Education needs to be discussed.

College is not for everyone. Four years of education (plus grad school) is necessary to train scholars, engineers, doctors, and scientists, but most jobs simply do not require a college education. In fact, only about a quarter of people with degrees have jobs that are related to them.

Approximately 41 percent of all recent graduates are working jobs that do not require a college degree. College degrees are now required for many jobs that once only required a high school diploma. Some 17 percent of hotel clerks and 23.5 percent of amusement park attendants hold 4-year degrees.

Unfortunately, federal funding is only available for traditional degree programs. Our administration will explore making Title IV funding available for other kinds of programs, including “microcredentials” and “nanocredentials” which give people the specific, useful training they need in the job marketplace .
    Then you just hit the nail on the head. Not because they are not available, they are not available here in Louisiana.

Thats why Louisiana ranks deadlast in almost everything. We are poor state, with poor jobs, what do we have oilfield? Even then most are moving to Texas.

I dont know if any of yall been job searching lately but it is very hard to find a good paying job here in Louisiana, and inflation is not helping the situation.

Thats why we have people moving to other states and losing population. Nature of the beast.

Thats why we do need microcredentials and nanocredentials.

Fun, I'm gonna go a little tangential on your points.

I think it goes beyond "what kind of student do we want?" I absolutely agree...we should be pursuing, attracting, enrolling, and retaining those students.

But that relationship needs to be forged also in the form of legacies. And intimacy.

Amongst my contemporaries, going to LSU was a status symbol. But as I gained friends on Facebook, I was quite shocked to see the folks I went to high school who I thought went to LSU,in fact graduated from U(s)L. But their allegiance, their kids, and their money go to Baton Rouge.

Now for the tangent.

As you know, I work with orphan, tax delinquent properties. But when we convey these properties, an effort is made to convey them to somebody who will have in intimate (my word) relationship with the neighborhood in which the property is located.

On a double-secret tangential note, I think this is an across Lafayette as a whole, but it is getting better.

But I digress...I think the key is the development of that intimacy.

Not only with these select students, but with the community as well.

Your comment about the LSU President saying he is losing select student to UL is incredibly profound (at least to me).

UL should be screaming from the mountain-tops the ACADEMIC advances this University (Our University) is experiencing.

UL should be fostering that sense of an intimate relationship and legacy not only with these students, but also between itself and the folks who live, work, (and, yes) play here.

And attracting those students of who you speak may mean that we, the loudest supporters of the Athletic Progam (first) and the Academic Program (second), may need to take a step back take a deep breath and recognize and accept that Academia and its ambitions may be a little out of our comfort zone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information