Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: On Being UL

Default Re: On Being UL

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan96 View Post
    ... Our administration will explore making Title IV funding available for other kinds of programs, including “microcredentials” and “nanocredentials” which give people the specific, useful training they need in the job marketplace .
    This right here.

We need a College of Trade.

At the same time, we have to address the out of control tuition in higher education.

Lastly, we need to redouble our efforts in energy research, but with a focus on petro-expansion and nuclear.

I will quote Dr. Fun....
    Again, what could we do if we stopped thinking in outmoded ways? Can we design a new approach to the university? And from that, can we rethink how higher education, and the state, can both prosper?
    I believe my above suggestions comply with this statement.

2. Default Re: On Being UL

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post

We need a College of Trade.
    How Louisiana got away rom one of its 1898 core values I do not know.

Working became taboo.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    How Louisiana got away rom one of its 1898 core values I do not know.

Working became taboo.
    This has nothing to do with UL, but my idea of economic development should be is putting a trade school with 5 different type of trades like. Plumbing, HVAC, Auto-Mechanic, Construction, Welder etc.

Put it in the worst possible neighborhood in every major city in Louisiana, and make it free through the state or the city. If a kid has no opportunity , no home-life and grew up with no opportunity, that they can learn these trades that pay upwards to 20 dollars an hour, and that way they can learn a trade instead of dealing drugs etc. to make money.

Has to be put in somewhere where people can walk to and fro to allow people who have no transportation.

We are talking about kids who dropped out of high school who grew up very poor. Instead of the public school to prison pipeline.

Ragin9221 for governor (joking)

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    This has nothing to do with UL, but my idea of economic development should be is putting a trade school with 5 different type of trades like. Plumbing, HVAC, Auto-Mechanic, Construction, Welder etc.

Put it in the worst possible neighborhood in every major city in Louisiana, and make it free through the state or the city. If a kid has no opportunity , no home-life and grew up with no opportunity, that they can learn these trades that pay upwards to 20 dollars an hour, and that way they can learn a trade instead of dealing drugs etc. to make money.

Has to be put in somewhere where people can walk to and fro to allow people who have no transportation.

We are talking about kids who dropped out of high school who grew up very poor. Instead of the public school to prison pipeline.

Ragin9221 for governor (joking)
    Didn't Supertramp write a song about you?

I kid, I kid.

This is just such a wonderful idea. The investment would make such a long-term contribution to both communties and individuals.

Good thought for a Monday morning.

In the construction trades, it’s a battle getting students. Contractors hire unskilled labor and they get on the job training. And paid.

Any link to the testimony or transcript when he said they were losing students to us

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    In the construction trades, it’s a battle getting students. Contractors hire unskilled labor and they get on the job training. And paid.
    A lot of that would go away if we enforced certain laws in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    A lot of that would go away if we enforced certain laws in this country.
    Been like that for many years, back into last century.

Quote Originally Posted by R1Letterman View Post
    Any link to the testimony or transcript when he said they were losing students to us
    I'd put that up on billboards across the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    I'd put that up on billboards across the city.
    Amen.

...nation

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post

Louisiana economically cannot compete with Texas, Florida, North Carolina, Maryland etc.
    Two of those four states you mentioned don’t have an income tax. Mississippi is phasing out their’s.

Don’t know if that has anything to do with anything, but just felt it worth noting.

Perhaps UL needs to abandon the advance in secrecy strategy. I bet not many people in a 40-mile radius of Lafayette understand the progress we have made academically. I miss CajunFun's ULToday.com website for positive news in UL academics.

Now sports...see for yourself below. Diamond sports on a tear over the weekend:

Check the home page sport section of Acadiana Advocate:
    https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/

Why do they bury Foote's UL articles on the home page?

And home page sport section (and sports subpage) of Advertiger:
    https://www.theadvertiser.com/

Interested in hearing take of 60swerebest here. He is quite connected with the College of Engineering. He did tell me recently that students in that college are challenged to the point sports is quite secondary to them.

Lafayette Parish would do well to convert one of their high schools into a magnet 'Construction' high school. You get 1/2 day of English, math, science, civics, etc. then the other half of the day you get 'shop' hours. Or specific training whereas when you graduate from high school, student can begin apprenticeship or be certified in electrical, welding, HVAC, construction, etc. After high school, more specialized training may continue at SLCC campuses via TOPS tech. Local industry might chip in to help get a education/workforce shop program like this off the ground.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information