Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: On Being UL

Default Re: On Being UL

Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    Lafayette Parish would do well to convert one of their high schools into a magnet 'Construction' high school. You get 1/2 day of English, math, science, civics, etc. then the other half of the day you get 'shop' hours. Or specific training whereas when you graduate from high school, student can begin apprenticeship or be certified in electrical, welding, HVAC, construction, etc. After high school, more specialized training may continue at SLCC campuses via TOPS tech. Local industry might chip in to help get a education/workforce shop program like this off the ground.
    It should be where the poorest of the poor can go to this school for free.

IDK if you ever worked in a inner city, put all your stereo typical bs aside, and tell me when you get a job at McDonalds or Wendys and try to make it on Minimum Wage that you can make it ?

When they realize they can not support themselves on this type or jobs it is back to the streets.

This is why we need to provide apprenticeships and training in blue collar jobs that pay decent! Then they can rethink their future!!

Not directed towards you, just saying in general it needs to be separated

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post

IDK if you ever worked in a inner city, put all your stereo typical bs aside, and tell me when you get a job at McDonalds or Wendys and try to make it on Minimum Wage that you can make it ?

When they realize they can not support themselves on this type or jobs it is back to the streets.

This is why we need to provide apprenticeships and training in blue collar jobs that pay decent! Then they can rethink their future!!

I think Fun's original point is getting sidetracked, but...

https://www.lpssonline.com/schools/careercenter

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post

Have/had 3 relatives that were in the h/s shop profession, about a century worth of combined experience. It once was a great idea.

Won’t go into great details, most shop students come from that population. And most are only there because that’s where the system dumps them. And they don’t want to be there.

To bring it back to the OP, this is something UL doesn’t need.

This generation is different then other generation!

Quote Originally Posted by R1Letterman View Post
    Interesting...thanks as always to cajun fun.

Check this part out....(though why could a prof in louisiana not do the same research?)

Louisiana is no exception. Its population is shrinking while its birth rate is declining. According to Carleton College professor Nathan Grawe, Louisiana is projected to experience a 7.5% to 15% decline in college-going students by 2029, the Public Affairs Research Council detailed in a report on falling enrollment earlier this year.
    Well, I think that North Carolina, Texas, Florida, and a number of others who are far ahead of us right now, used to be in a poor competitive situation, just like we are today. How did they turn it around?

One of the things they all did was to fund higher education, and invest in quality academics.

And I don't think anyone here is going to say they can do it, but we can't.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post

One of the things they all did was to fund higher education, and invest in quality academics.
    So what would that look like to you? People and groups/NGOs love to throw out that statement, yet, seems they rarely want to define what that is and how we get there.

Well, I think that North Carolina, Texas, Florida, and a number of others who are far ahead of us right now, used to be in a poor competitive situation, just like we are today. How did they turn it around?

Many of us will say we could do it, but we won't. If done properly, the politicians wouldn't have enough money to divert to their pet projects [or their pockets].

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Many of us will say we could do it, but we won't. If done properly, the politicians wouldn't have enough money to divert to their pet projects [or their pockets].
    We could always drum back up the “tax the rich” and “big businesses” rhetoric. Increase income and “big business” taxes to fund higher ed. That way the same money can still end up in pockets of those roaming the Capitol.

Fun, I sent you a PM/question. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    We could always drum back up the “tax the rich” and “big businesses” rhetoric. Increase income and “big business” taxes to fund higher ed. That way the same money can still end up in pockets of those roaming the Capitol.
    LOL... LA government's favorite populist activity... Tax the folks that provide all the private sector jobs in your state so much that they elect to leave the state.

Economics 101: The end consumer ALWAYS pays ALL the taxes incurred by those manufacturing and/or supplying goods and services to him: Taxes on business are simply transfer payments by businesses of end consumer's money.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    LOL... LA government's favorite populist activity... Tax the folks that provide all the private sector jobs in your state so much that they elect to leave the state.

Economics 101: The end consumer ALWAYS pays ALL the taxes incurred by those manufacturing and/or supplying goods and services to him: Taxes on business are simply transfer payments by businesses of end consumer's money.
    And it is just appalling how many people miss this simple fact.

Maybe with California and the 20 dollar minimum wage for the fast food industry might explain it in real time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information