Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lamar Baseball

1. Default Re: Lamar Baseball

Time for a Lamar reset.

Current Lamar AD since 2022

Current Baseball coach since 2016

Default Re: Lamar Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaB View Post
    What’s the backstory on why we don’t schedule them? Vaguely remember there being a reason but don’t remember what it was

Last time we played in baseball was 2008
    Robe said the Beaumont umps cheated and Gillian said the Lafayette umps cheated so agreed to not play any more mid weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSID View Post
    You guys may certainly be right, but now I’m starting to wonder who we dropped years ago due to the scouting report issue? I know it happened…just can’t remember who was involved.

I don’t know why I thought it was Lamar who was involved.
    Jim Gilligan told Robe that he didn't want to come to Lafayette any longer because he couldn't get a fair shake with the umpires. This was after an interview he had been quoted in the Beaumont paper or radio. Robe told him he would not keep them on the schedule unless it was a home & home. Gilligan stated afterwards that as long as he was involved with Lamar athletics, they would not schedule the Cajun's in any sport.

4. UL Baseball Re: Lamar Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Jim Gilligan told Robe that he didn't want to come to Lafayette any longer because he couldn't get a fair shake with the umpires. This was after an interview he had been quoted in the Beaumont paper or radio. Robe told him he would not keep them on the schedule unless it was a home & home. Gilligan stated afterwards that as long as he was involved with Lamar athletics, they would not schedule the Cajun's in any sport.
    The real truth is that Jim Gilligan did not like the press box playing the Gilligan's Island theme music every time he took a trip to the mound.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    The real truth is that Jim Gilligan did not like the press box playing the Gilligan's Island theme music every time he took a trip to the mound.

Brian
    Didn't hear that one, but Robe told a few of us Gillagan refused to play at the Tigue because he couldn't get fair calls for the umpire. But yes, I remember the theme song that was played when he walked to the mound. Funny stuff back then.

Gilligan's not there anymore. Seems like we could play again???

Hard No to Lamar. Tony had ONE team on his publicly known merde list. Just one. I am perfectly happy honoring his la merde list a couple more decades

8. Default Re: Lamar Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post

Brian
    Bet you can't guess who was responsible for that!

One time, it was a game that was pitcher by committee, so he went out like 7 times for pitching changes and I played it every time as soon as he stepped out of the dugout. The last time he went out, I waited until he got out to the mound, waited a little longer, and then hit the music. He was visibly upset at my shenanigans.

9. Default Re: Lamar Baseball

I certainly don't speak for anyone, but with totally new people in charge, I don't think anyone would harbor the same feelings of resentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I certainly don't speak for anyone, but with totally new people in charge, I don't think anyone would harbor the same feelings of resentment.
    Gilligan’s replacement worked under him for a year, and is from TSAB. Wouldn’t call that totally new.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Gilligan’s replacement worked under him for a year, and is from TSAB. Wouldn’t call that totally new.
    Yes, from what I understand it remains in place. Frankly, I don't want to play Lamar in football anyway.

12. Default Re: Lamar Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Didn't hear that one, but Robe told a few of us Gillagan refused to play at the Tigue because he couldn't get fair calls for the umpire. But yes, I remember the theme song that was played when he walked to the mound. Funny stuff back then.
    I said that in jest.

As for the real reason, I heard the same.

Brian

13. Default Re: Lamar Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Cajuns1 View Post
    Bet you can't guess who was responsible for that!

One time, it was a game that was pitcher by committee, so he went out like 7 times for pitching changes and I played it every time as soon as he stepped out of the dugout. The last time he went out, I waited until he got out to the mound, waited a little longer, and then hit the music. He was visibly upset at my shenanigans.
    LOL. Nice.

Brian

Lamar beat McNeese last night 1-0 in 11 innings

McNeese was held without a hit…in 11 innings.

The Lamar starter went 9 innings, walked one and struck out 9…and got one of the toughest no-decisions you’ll ever see.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information