Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Softball Apathy

Default Re: Softball Apathy

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    That can be said about every single G5/mid major these days. That shouldn’t cause people who are Cajun fans to not care.

They’re still the program out of all of our sports with the best chance to win a national championship.
    I'm not saying Cajuns fans don't care about softball.. I'm saying there are far fewer Cajuns softball fans than you think, and the number drops off more every year.

2. Default Re: Softball Apathy

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    .... their chances of winning a championship are so remote that no one cares
    That applies to 98% of sports teams below the top 2%.

I don't think this is the reason for wax and wanes of interest.

I'm not saying Cajuns fans don't care about softball.. I'm saying there are far fewer Cajuns softball fans than you think, and the number drops off more every year.
    Believe me, that problem is really a primary issue for softball. As Rick pointed out there is a substantial percentage of UL softball fans that are collecting Social Security. So much so that Coach Glasco mentioned it in an interview on a national softball podcast.

UL has put out the same product for 30 years..

Competitive team.. on the edge of being good enough to host a super if they get there.. but even though they've seen a few WCWS, their chances of winning a championship are so remote that no one cares
    My god. “No one cares” b/c they can’t win a national championship? Plenty of people care.

Amazingly, it’s the 3rd most supported program at UL. Find another program in the country that can boast that.

I would agree there may be a small decrease in fans since Glasco took over due to the Lotief termination.

A decline in fans is a problem for every sport, not just softball. But yes softball does have an aging base.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSID View Post
    Plenty of people care.
    Whether you want to admit it or not, that "plenty" number is dropping fast

You cannot look at the stands for baseball and softball and not see a big drop in actual attendance. You guys can sugar coat it any way you want, but actual attendance in stick sports -- the ones that are supposedly immune to Martin Hall's influence -- is pretty poor.
    And don't you think the present economy should be a direct reflection on attendance? People don't have the discretionary income to be spending on college sports, especially in this town. Unfortunately, that means baseball and softball, which generally have no issues having maxed out crowds, will suffer, regardless of how well they are presently doing. Though I personally have not made every baseball and softball game, I have never missed listening on the radio or watching the website (or stick figures). Though my financial support has weaned, my spiritual support is as strong as ever.

Basketball is another story. I will watch the website and happy when they win, but have not been to a game since 2018, and will not until there is change....

Good point on the economic impact on attendance.

Whether you want to admit it or not, that "plenty" number is dropping fast
    6th in the country in attendance last year dude. 6th.

6th in the country in attendance last year dude. 6th.
    Great, but it's the butts in the seats. That number is down.

I think there’s some truth to this. Have to admit, when I was a student here in the mid-90’s, I was all about football, basketball and baseball.

I knew the softball program was good, but I never went to a game. It was only until I started working in athletics and with Coach Girouard that I truly appreciated and supported them.

Since nobody on this board played softball (fastpitch not beer league!), unless you had a daughter or relative who played it, hard to associate with it.

It is the most consistent program UL has and Girouard, the Lotiefs and Glasco did/are doing an amazing job keeping it a perennial top 25 program.
    I was also in mid 90s. Softball was so good that i often remember trying to get the game just to arrive a little late and be told, its over, mercy rule.

12. Default Re: Softball Apathy

How many years are you saying this has been happening? "every year"

When did it start?

UCLA, arguably the most storied softball program in all of history, DID NOT have their games on the radio the way cajuns do.
    We decry being a small market but one could argue their are some advantages.... also their neighbor and conf mate, USC does not even have a team

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Great, but it's the butts in the seats. That number is down.
    Agree. I’ll give an example. Our row in 207 has about 15 seats. I’m the youngest on my row at 65 y/o. Only 3 of us are at every game.

Join softball's social media. They do a great job of fan engagement. Best at Louisiana!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information