Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Softball Apathy

Default Re: Softball Apathy

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    What's going on?
    UL has put out the same product for 30 years..

Competitive team.. on the edge of being good enough to host a super if they get there.. but even though they've seen a few WCWS, their chances of winning a championship are so remote that no one cares

I have been in my seats behind home plate for every home game, and. I have watched or listened to every road game.

Yet we can't get more than 2-4 pages on a game thread.

What's going on?
    Your second post that I quoted above from your OP in this thread is very clear that you are upset about the number of pages for a game thread on RP and not the actual fans that show up to Lamson Park to support the program. Fans in the stands cheering on the acajuns and spending money their money that goes toward the the program is infinitely more important, both financially and for their play on the field, than how many pages long a game thread on RP is.

I am not able to find attendance numbers so far for 2024 but hard to argue that there is a lack of fan support when 100% of season tickets are sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post

Competitive team.. on the edge of being good enough to host a super if they get there.. but even though they've seen a few WCWS, their chances of winning a championship are so remote that no one cares
    I hope this was sarcasm. Otherwise I fear for your ability to recognize reality.

UL is the 6th winningest program in NCAA history. We have 32 NCAA tournament appearances, 8 Super Regionals and 6 WCWS appearances. We are now on a streak of 14 consecutive NCAA tournaments in which we have reached at least the Championship game of an NCAA regional.

If that is not deserving of your support, your standard is completely unrealistic.

I hope this was sarcasm. Otherwise I fear for your ability to recognize reality.

UL is the 6th winningest program in NCAA history. We have 32 NCAA tournament appearances, 8 Super Regionals and 6 WCWS appearances. We are now on a streak of 14 consecutive NCAA tournaments in which we have reached at least the Championship game of an NCAA regional.

If that is not deserving of your support, your standard is completely unrealistic.
    I agree with this post. The program is deserving of the highest level of fan support and they are receiving it.

I just am not understanding why you feel the program is not properly being supported by Ragin’ Cajun fans. The only reason you have given in this thread is because there are not enough pages for a game thread on RP during a holiday weekend when most were entertaining family while watching the games being played in Boone, NC and pulling for the Cajuns!

5. Default Re: Softball Apathy

Almost every fan of softball is a self made fan.

No generational influence to boost the sport.

jmo

I have no idea if we have all the seats sold, as was ported previously, but three number of butts in seats is down this year, and for that matter, it was down last year too.

We have a ton of old fans, and I'm counting me in that number. This is worrisome.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    I have no idea if we have all the seats sold, as was ported previously, but three number of butts in seats is down this year, and for that matter, it was down last year too.

We have a ton of old fans, and I'm counting me in that number. This is worrisome.
    Pointed that age thing out awhile back. Need to be proactive addressing the future and not wait like, well, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post

You cannot look at the stands for baseball and softball and not see a big drop in actual attendance. You guys can sugar coat it any way you want, but actual attendance in stick sports -- the ones that are supposedly immune to Martin Hall's influence -- is pretty poor.

9. Default Re: Softball Apathy

On a personal level, out of state relatives came through town, so keeping up with the diamond, sports was a challenge this weekend. So much was going on, I can see how it would come across as appathetic.

I toured Avery Island and Jefferson Island yesterday. Walk drive, walk drive, walk, walk walk.

Visiting relatives paid my way.

We had a blast, but I don't think that will be, happening again anytime soon.

I always sit in the outfield and there are plenty of younger families. I always bring a kid or 2 also. The outfield has been full in the past. Talking about a few instances over the years, but nothing like when we host a regional. Was actually pretty disappointed with the Marshall game last year. I thought we’d have more, but it was fuller than most conference games.

No idea if there been a ticket sale decline year over year.

As far as apathy on the board, I’m high on this team. There was a ton of conversation when we were losing, but after the OU win, the ship righted. Sweeping conference opponents is expected and doesn’t make for a whole lot of hot takes.

Most teams at this same level (or slightly higher) when they make a run to a super or wcws it seems their next season starts with that momentum, poll spot, and level. And they just need to maintain to return or improve.

But it feels like cajuns softball always has to go all the way back down at start of new season and build all the way back up. Granted, good on glasco, as they have accomplished that. But from a fan perspective it could become exhausting to follow and from an ncaa perspective it must be asked why.

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    Your second post that I quoted above from your OP in this thread is very clear that you are upset about the number of pages for a game thread on RP and not the actual fans that show up to Lamson Park to support the program. Fans in the stands cheering on the acajuns and spending money their money that goes toward the the program is infinitely more important, both financially and for their play on the field, than how many pages long a game thread on RP is.

I am not able to find attendance numbers so far for 2024 but hard to argue that there is a lack of fan support when 100% of season tickets are sold out.
    Fans are closer to the action in softball so if more true fans are in attendance they likely shouldnt be posting or risk getting racked by the ball

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    On a personal level, out of state relatives came through town, so keeping up with the diamond, sports was a challenge this weekend. So much was going on, I can see how it would come across as appathetic.

I toured Avery Island and Jefferson Island yesterday. Walk drive, walk drive, walk, walk walk.

Visiting relatives paid my way.

We had a blast, but I don't think that will be, happening again anytime soon.
    Couldnt tours such as that be done in an offseason or during basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post

That can be said about every single G5/mid major these days. That shouldn’t cause people who are Cajun fans to not care.

They’re still the program out of all of our sports with the best chance to win a national championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Almost every fan of softball is a self made fan.

No generational influence to boost the sport.

jmo
    I think there’s some truth to this. Have to admit, when I was a student here in the mid-90’s, I was all about football, basketball and baseball.

I knew the softball program was good, but I never went to a game. It was only until I started working in athletics and with Coach Girouard that I truly appreciated and supported them.

Since nobody on this board played softball (fastpitch not beer league!), unless you had a daughter or relative who played it, hard to associate with it.

It is the most consistent program UL has and Girouard, the Lotiefs and Glasco did/are doing an amazing job keeping it a perennial top 25 program.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information