Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Softball Apathy

Default Re: Softball Apathy

Quote Originally Posted by R1Letterman View Post
    We were told for years the lafayette area economy is an anomaly compared to national economy. If gas/oil prices are high, lafayette economy is good....well the gas prices are high, so what gives.

So if you believe that, I have about 100 acres of prime land I want to sell you about 50 miles south of Abbeville. What cost me $100 at the grocery store 2 years ago costs about $400 now for the same products. Yet, my salary has not quadrupled in those same 2 years.

How much is parking?
    Mine is $60 next to the stadium. Free at other locations.

Glasco by far had the toughest transition of any coach. I respect the hell out the man.

No blaming officials no revenge tour zero excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Glasco by far had the toughest transition of any coach. He has never made excuses and always expect greatness. He has never made excuses and I respect the hell out the man.

No blaming officials no revenge tour zero excuses.
    This in spades. Glasco has never blamed anyone but himself when our team struggles. Much to his credit it rarely does. He is the only coach we have ever had in any sport who openly declares that his goal for our team is a National Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    This in spades. Glasco has never blamed anyone but himself when our team struggles. Much to his credit it rarely does. He is the only coach we have ever had in any sport who openly declares that his goal for our team is a National Championship.
    VO, I have no problem with Jerry Glasco. From my conversations with him (which hasn't been many) the guy is top notch. Since you are not involved with Baseball, Deggs is everything you just proclaimed that Glasco is when it comes to expectations.

Both men now realize the NIL concerns will now affect their programs. Glasco mentioned in early spring that he will need to raise $500K in NIL donations annually to stay relevant in the rankings. It hasn't been accomplished in any sport yet, so the apathy you are discussing appears to be across the board.

CGG is probably one of the best athletic hires by UL.

Yet this weekend I heard grumbling from an SB insider how they need to run him and promote JR.

SMH…

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    CGG is probably one of the best athletic hires by UL.

Yet this weekend I heard grumbling from an SB insider how they need to run him and promote JT.

SMH…
    I'm not sure who JT is, but if you mean JR I would say that's typical ULL thinking by some people. If he leaves, best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    I don't do baseball, so I don't know what the crowds look like, but at softball it looks like bingo night at an assisted living facility. This is concerning only because there do not seem to be many young adult fans. There needs to be an aggressive program to build that future fan base.
    Hmmm I wonder where we have 15,000 younger fans at? Could it be that they get in free so they don’t want them there?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I'm not sure who JT is, but if you mean JR I would say that's typical ULL thinking by some people. If he leaves, best of luck.
    Thanks. Brain cramp.

Pretty much my response, except I used USL.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Thanks. Brain cramp.

Pretty much my response, except I used USL.

11. Default Re: Softball Apathy

I wouldn't be totally shocked if some of the "we don't care if you come" vibes given off in other sports has a small impact on the diamond sports as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    VO, I have no problem with Jerry Glasco. From my conversations with him (which hasn't been many) the guy is top notch. Since you are not involved with Baseball, Deggs is everything you just proclaimed that Glasco is when it comes to expectations.

Both men now realize the NIL concerns will now affect their programs. Glasco mentioned in early spring that he will need to raise $500K in NIL donations annually to stay relevant in the rankings. It hasn't been accomplished in any sport yet, so the apathy you are discussing appears to be across the board.
    Football can't raise 50k in NIL money. Doubt softball can come close to that number.

What is softball's budget?

We were told for years the lafayette area economy is an anomaly compared to national economy. If gas/oil prices are high, lafayette economy is good....well the gas prices are high, so what gives.
    Few things:

1- High, yes the local economy was generally good in the past, but you still didn’t want too high, as then it offsetted the positives of oil & gas based dollars flooding the local economy.

2- The Lafayette economy is more diverse now, so I would think that high gasoline prices aren’t necessarily going to transfer to a good local economy while the rest of the country might be in a lull.

3- Kind of going with #2, onshore oil & gas exploration in Louisiana itself is WAY down from those past good times years. Natural gas prices no longer follow a relationship with oil prices, and the Tier 1 & 2 acreages in Louisiana for oil plays seems to have been drilled out. Offshore has picked back up in recent years, so that is helping. But if you’re mostly onshore-based, you’re either hoping you can work remote, or you’re moving somewhere out to Texas or Colorado where many of your shale players are based. Not many significant onshore E&Ps left in Lafayette, unfortunately, and while there’s still tons of service companies along US 90 that may still be headquartered in the area, they’ve got massive yards and a large number of employees out in West Texas and Southeast New Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Few things:

1- High, yes the local economy was generally good in the past, but you still didn’t want too high, as then it offsetted the positives of oil & gas based dollars flooding the local economy.

2- The Lafayette economy is more diverse now, so I would think that high gasoline prices aren’t necessarily going to transfer to a good local economy while the rest of the country might be in a lull.

3- Kind of going with #2, onshore oil & gas exploration in Louisiana itself is WAY down from those past good times years. Natural gas prices no longer follow a relationship with oil prices, and the Tier 1 & 2 acreages in Louisiana for oil plays seems to have been drilled out. Offshore has picked back up in recent years, so that is helping. But if you’re mostly onshore-based, you’re either hoping you can work remote, or you’re moving somewhere out to Texas or Colorado where many of your shale players are based. Not many significant onshore E&Ps left in Lafayette, unfortunately, and while there’s still tons of service companies along US 90 that may still be headquartered in the area, they’ve got massive yards and a large number of employees out in West Texas and Southeast New Mexico.
    Wow. A sincere thanks. That clears up a lot.

I really do appreciate it, sorry that you will now be ostracized by the powers that be for answering me.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information