Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Softball Apathy

Default Re: Softball Apathy

We did accomplish what 71 some odd teams before us couldn’t do over the last year - beat OU. Now was that a 1 in 10 situation? Maybe. But if we win one game in the WCWS, you finish no worse than 6th in the running for a national championship. Only one non softball sport at UL has even sniffed that.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSID View Post
    6th in the country in attendance last year dude. 6th.
    You are correct, the fan support is still very good. Something to consider going forward to attract younger fans and fans in general are the ticket prices. We have one of, if not the highest softball ticket prices in the country. I know some who have stopped buying season tickets because of the high cost.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    I am a bit puzzled about the apparentapathy on this board as applied to our Softball team.

We have been in one or more top 25 polls just about all season. We have a win which broke a 71 game winning streak over the three time defending national Champs on their home field.

Besides OU, we have top 25 wins over Baylor and Cal. We also have games against Stanford and Texas, both in the Top 10 and Mississippi State, also in the Top 25.

Yes, we have 13 losses. OU, Stanford [2], Texas [2], Baylor [2], California and Mississippi State [2], all in the Top 25 RPI, Miami [33], Louisiana Tech [38] and Liberty [47].

No other team in the country played as tough a non conference schedule as UL and we still have 2 games left with LSU [5] and one with McNeese [37].

We are 9-0 in conference, including a 3 game road sweep of South Alabama [41], and have upcoming series with JMU [52] and Texas State [12].

This team is fun to watch, very talented and a serious National power.

Yet we can't get more than 2-4 pages on a game thread.

What's going on?
    It’s not as bad as you think. I rarely post, but I follow this thread during the game. Look at the people following the thread during the game, it’s a ton. I make 8-10 games a season. I use to get one of those punch cards every year when I was coaching so I could bring in my little girls teams. I wish they still offered the punch cards.

4. Default Re: Softball Apathy

The over 50 crowd is most likely to read the Advertiser, and less likely to read the Advocate.

This dimishes parents asking their 30-something kids if they are going to the game.

Nothing exists to constantly remind the (non-social media savvy) audience.

Digital ticketing isn't helping with older fans, either.

6. Default Re: Softball Apathy

True about digital only.

When it comes to transition periods "save money don't make money" it turns into "scared money"

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post
    And don't you think the present economy should be a direct reflection on attendance? People don't have the discretionary income to be spending on college sports, especially in this town. Unfortunately, that means baseball and softball, which generally have no issues having maxed out crowds, will suffer, regardless of how well they are presently doing. Though I personally have not made every baseball and softball game, I have never missed listening on the radio or watching the website (or stick figures). Though my financial support has weaned, my spiritual support is as strong as ever.

Basketball is another story. I will watch the website and happy when they win, but have not been to a game since 2018, and will not until there is change....
    We were told for years the lafayette area economy is an anomaly compared to national economy. If gas/oil prices are high, lafayette economy is good....well the gas prices are high, so what gives.

How much is parking?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    True about digital only.

When it comes to transition periods "save money don't make money" it turns into "scared money"
    The transition will eventually become normal. We’ve been to resorts where everything, dinner menus, check in, drink menus, schedules, maps are only on an app. Several “pensioners” around all keeping full and happy.

No doubt, there is a period where it’s rough and will impact some fan’s desires to adjust.

I don't do baseball, so I don't know what the crowds look like, but at softball it looks like bingo night at an assisted living facility. This is concerning only because there do not seem to be many young adult fans. There needs to be an aggressive program to build that future fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    I don't do baseball, so I don't know what the crowds look like, but at softball it looks like bingo night at an assisted living facility. This is concerning only because there do not seem to be many young adult fans. There needs to be an aggressive program to build that future fan base.
    A. Bingo crowds are growing
    B. Bingo at assisted living is in the afternoon, not night time

Quote Originally Posted by R1Letterman View Post
    A. Bingo crowds are growing
    B. Bingo at assisted living is in the afternoon, not night time
    Depends…

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Depends…
    That need is a given