Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: This is why NIL should be a non fear factor.

Default Re: This is why NIL should be a non fear factor.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Don't get me started on TOPS. What started out as a merit scholarship program has devolved into a participation prize. Basically, if you can get into college you get TOPS.
    I saw an article at one point that 60% of the money goes to 1st and 2nd semester students. Think about that for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    I saw an article at one point that 60% of the money goes to 1st and 2nd semester students. Think about that for a second.
    That’s because nearly everyone gets into college, but not everyone is cut out for college. By their 2nd semester that have failed out.

TOPS program cost the state $321 million in 2020 (most recent figure I could find).

LA FY 2024 Budget reported $51 billion in total spending.

Kind of seems like a drop in the bucket for the potential return we receive from one of the only perks of living in last-ranked Louisiana, and some of you want to go after it. I'm fine with students being given 2 semesters to sink or swim on my dollar.

Edit: LA legislators are trying to decrease the severance tax* on oil wells by a few percentage points (12.5% -> 8.5%), which will decrease tax revenue by $80 million / year. That $80 million we're losing funded nearly 25% of TOPS.

*Severance tax is a state tax imposed on the extraction of non-renewable natural resources that are intended for consumption in other states.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    TOPS program cost the state $321 million in 2020 (most recent figure I could find).

LA FY 2024 Budget reported $51 billion in total spending.

Kind of seems like a drop in the bucket for the potential return we receive from one of the only perks of living in last-ranked Louisiana, and some of you want to go after it. I'm fine with students being given 2 semesters to sink or swim on my dollar.

Edit: LA legislators are trying to decrease the severance tax* on oil wells by a few percentage points (12.5% -> 8.5%), which will decrease tax revenue by $80 million / year. That $80 million we're losing funded nearly 25% of TOPS.

*Severance tax is a state tax imposed on the extraction of non-renewable natural resources that are intended for consumption in other states.
    Or you can look at it as $1.2 billion over 4 years. A bad investment is a bad investment. There are plenty of other means to get financial aid. TOPS has been an excuse for too many people to F off for two semesters without consequence.

But back to the topic, I don't think we should be wasting dollars on NIL athletes. It should be spent on students (who may happen to be athletes).

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Don't get me started on TOPS. What started out as a merit scholarship program has devolved into a participation prize. Basically, if you can get into college you get TOPS.
    The price of tuition in LA went through the roof as soon as TOPS was expanded. The amount of money this state flushes down the toilet on TOPS should be criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    Or you can look at it as $1.2 billion over 4 years. A bad investment is a bad investment. There are plenty of other means to get financial aid. TOPS has been an excuse for too many people to F off for two semesters without consequence.

But back to the topic, I don't think we should be wasting dollars on NIL athletes. It should be spent on students (who may happen to be athletes).
    So $1.2 billion of $200 billion in 4 years of state spending. Won't convince me that that's a bad investment. There are many ways government wastes money, investing in educating our children isn't one of them. I mean that's 0.6% of spending that gives a DIRECT benefit to Louisiana citizens.

The price of tuition in LA went through the roof as soon as TOPS was expanded. The amount of money this state flushes down the toilet on TOPS should be criminal.
    Tuition costs have risen quickly, but it's a national trend. I'd imagine that even without TOPS, tuition for public higher ed in LA would still be high due to availability of student loans.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    So $1.2 billion of $200 billion in 4 years of state spending. Won't convince me that that's a bad investment. There are many ways government wastes money, investing in educating our children isn't one of them. I mean that's 0.6% of spending that gives a DIRECT benefit to Louisiana citizens.
    What DIRECT benefit is paying for 2 semesters up front for them to just drop out providing? I'm not saying to blow up the whole system. Make it a loan repayment/forgiveness program upon graduation (with some type of hardship waiver option).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information