Thread: Schultzycast Ep 2 - What's Going On With Bob Marlin?

1. Default Schultzycast Ep 2 - What's Going On With Bob Marlin?

#Schultzycast Ep 2

What's Going On With the Cajuns Bob Marlin?
    No Kim Mulkey/Washington Post Story Yet
    NFL Draft Chat
    Pelicans vs OKC Thunder Tonight

https://youtube.com/live/AdCQ_HBgxns?feature=share

Thanks to everyone who subscribed yesterday.
    The support is sincerely appreciated. Keep it coming.

Default Re: Schultzycast Ep 2 - What's Going On With Bob Marlin?

Good episode

On the Cajuns not drawing in all sports (baseball specifically), I have a personal anecdote. My wife decided to go back to grad school, so my baseball grandstand tickets got dropped. I think with the new outbound sales team being touted, my hope is that in future scenarios like that, they would reach out and #1: See why there was no renewal; and #2: Offer a cheaper package (like here's some bleacher seats) which may tempt a renewal. Surprisingly though, I have not been to a home game yet (which is shameful), but I have watched on ESPN+. I know I could easily pick up some single game tickets on Paciolan, but I just have not yet.

I think pushing season tickets and partial season ticket packages will be a big deal moving forward. For people that do not have season tickets (like me this year), it's easier to say, "I'll catch the game on ESPN+ tonight" instead of looking for a ticket. Whereas if you have season tickets and/or partial season tickets, you make time in order to attend games you have a staked interest in. Now, the admin did lift a significant single-game ticket barrier in terms of getting rid of Ticketmaster, but we still have to compete with ESPN+ at the end of the day.

At least I think that's what's going on in my introspective look into my own personal situation, trying to project it out to the masses. Which may not be true, because I'm sure baseball announced attendance = tickets sold, and there are a lot of season ticket holders not showing up either.

One of the reasons we are seeing a decline in attendance in all sports is the age of the fan base. The University has been actively discouraging any interest in athletics by the student body for nearly 50 years. As a result, the median age of our current fan base is probably over 50. It is inevitable that attendance will decline if that aging base is not being replenished by current students and other people in their 20s and 30s.

Speaking only for myself, it is getting harder and harder for me to attend as many games as I did when I was younger. I am fortunate in that my general health is pretty good for my age [76] and I am still working. I still go to football because generally the weather is decent and many of my friends and acquaintances are there. I no longer go to basketball, at least partly because the weather tends to be colder and rainier than the fall, but also because I am not motivated to spend 40 minutes getting to the dome and another 40 going home to watch us play non conference games against teams that are totally irrelevant. I do continue to go to softball because it is the only sport of real interest to me that actually excels and is good enough to attract top teams to play here.

As people age, their energy levels and resilience decline, their income also tends to decline, along with their general health. Over time it becomes so much easier and cheaper to watch our sporting events on ESPN+.

Those things are inevitable, making it ever more important for the University to encourage student and young family involvement with athletics. How they can do that has been beat to death on this forum and elsewhere, but in a nutshell: Make games fun for students and cheap for young families, and hustle the hell out of low level RCAF membership.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    but we still have to compete with ESPN+ at the end of the day.
    I don't think ESPN+ is poaching from attendance.. I think people are just THAT busy...

How many families with kids under 13 are able to carve three hours out of FRI-SAT-SUN? How many two-income households can get off at 5, pick the kids up, change clothes and get over to the ballpark before 1st pitch at 6 on FRI? How many can manage soccer/baseball/dance, birthdays, sleepovers, etc, to get over there from 2-5 on a Saturday?

Meanwhile our friends over there played at 7PM Friday, 6pm Saturday, and 2pm (after church) on Sunday.

This age group will not buy season tickets because they'll never be able to use them. Best case they split the cost with a couple other families and take turns going to games when they can.

If you want more random walk ups going to games, you have to make tickets cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    One of the reasons we are seeing a decline in attendance in all sports is the age of the fan base. The University has been actively discouraging any interest in athletics by the student body for nearly 50 years. As a result, the median age of our current fan base is probably over 50. It is inevitable that attendance will decline if that aging base is not being replenished by current students and other people in their 20s and 30s.
    Ding Ding Ding. Winner. There is a huge community disassociation with the university and our youth

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    I don't think ESPN+ is poaching from attendance.. I think people are just THAT busy...

How many families with kids under 13 are able to carve three hours out of FRI-SAT-SUN? How many two-income households can get off at 5, pick the kids up, change clothes and get over to the ballpark before 1st pitch at 6 on FRI? How many can manage soccer/baseball/dance, birthdays, sleepovers, etc, to get over there from 2-5 on a Saturday?

Meanwhile our friends over there played at 7PM Friday, 6pm Saturday, and 2pm (after church) on Sunday.

This age group will not buy season tickets because they'll never be able to use them. Best case they split the cost with a couple other families and take turns going to games when they can.

If you want more random walk ups going to games, you have to make tickets cheaper.
    I'm sorry but ESPN+ is absolutely stealing viewers. I would be lying if I didn't say I was one of those viewers and there are just so many more.

7. Default Re: Schultzycast Ep 2 - What's Going On With Bob Marlin?

Big ole LOL

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I'm sorry but ESPN+ is absolutely stealing viewers. I would be lying if I didn't say I was one of those viewers and there are just so many more.
    I think both of you are correct. Because when I was growing up, rec league sports took up 1-2 weeknights during the rec league season. Now-a-days, the mega sports complexes have multiple games on the weekends in addition to practices during the week. Throw in multiple sports for multiple kids, and there really is no time for young families...

Thread Information