Thread: Our Reactions to Players Leaving

Default Our Reactions to Players Leaving

Ok, I'm starting to get a little confused. Just a few seconds ago I was reading the thread about Jourdyn Campbell leaving. What did I read? Comments wishing her the best of luck.

Now let's compare that to an older thread about Jordan Brown transferring to Memphis. What did I read there? People trashing him and saying things like "I hope he has to work hard like the rest of us". Same thing happened to Zeon, lots of hateful comments and not wishing him the best.

What I want to understand is why do we wish some players luck when they leave while others get absolutely crapped on? Doesn't that seem like a double standard? Look, I understand it sucks when a good player leaves/transfers, I hate it too. However, these guys & girls are young. The decisions they make at this age won't be their best. With that said, it doesn't mean they can't succeed, or shouldn't. We really shouldn't be wishing that they fail in life just because they don't want to be a Ragin' Cajun. Instead, be glad they chose to play with us in the first place. Was watching Jordan Brown bring our MBB program to the NCAA tournament and win the Lou Hedley award terrible? Of course not! Was it disappointing watching him transfer to Memphis? Absolutely! Does that justify wanting him to fail? No way.

I think we should respect all of our athletes, no matter what decisions they end up making in the long run. If we could treat all of the athletes who leave like we did with Campbell, it may improve this forum's reputation and make our fanbase look better. These are just my thoughts though. You are welcome to disagree with me.

2. Default Re: Our Reactions to Players Leaving

Basketball fans and Softball fans are not always the same people.

Having said that, you speak wisdom beyond your years.

Default Re: Our Reactions to Players Leaving

I would think people are under the impression that she’s not transferring to another school, just hanging it up. If she does transfer to another school, people won’t be as happy for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    I would think people are under the impression that she’s not transferring to another school, just hanging it up. If she does transfer to another school, people won’t be as happy for her.
    That's where I'm at as well. She mentioned some personal battles. That's part of being human and we all deal with it differently.

Leaving for NIL (like JB at Memphis) is a complete self-serving move. Still your choice, go get your money. But don't depart expecting a warm farewell. Pack your stuff, forget the social media post thanking everyone, hit the road and make space for someone else.

5. Default Re: Our Reactions to Players Leaving

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    Ok, I'm starting to get a little confused. Just a few seconds ago I was reading the thread about Jourdyn Campbell leaving. What did I read? Comments wishing her the best of luck.

Now let's compare that to an older thread about Jordan Brown transferring to Memphis. What did I read there? People trashing him and saying things like "I hope he has to work hard like the rest of us". Same thing happened to Zeon, lots of hateful comments and not wishing him the best.

What I want to understand is why do we wish some players luck when they leave while others get absolutely crapped on? Doesn't that seem like a double standard? Look, I understand it sucks when a good player leaves/transfers, I hate it too. However, these guys & girls are young. The decisions they make at this age won't be their best. With that said, it doesn't mean they can't succeed, or shouldn't. We really shouldn't be wishing that they fail in life just because they don't want to be a Ragin' Cajun. Instead, be glad they chose to play with us in the first place. Was watching Jordan Brown bring our MBB program to the NCAA tournament and win the Lou Hedley award terrible? Of course not! Was it disappointing watching him transfer to Memphis? Absolutely! Does that justify wanting him to fail? No way.

I think we should respect all of our athletes, no matter what decisions they end up making in the long run. If we could treat all of the athletes who leave like we did with Campbell, it may improve this forum's reputation and make our fanbase look better. These are just my thoughts though. You are welcome to disagree with me.
    JB was chasing the money, Campbell has retired from softball.

I think there is a big difference "wanting someone to fail" and "no longer caring" about a player who left the Cajuns for another team.

The majority of the comments I see are typically more along the lines of "not caring" about a player after they leave the program. Yes, there may be a few comments that are over the top, but that is just how some people behave on the internet, especially fan message boards.

I do agree with RaginScotsman about the ridiculous social media posts thanking everyone. The "thanking everyone" posts when a players leaves should be reserved for players who have either:
    1) exhausted their eligibility and/or finishing their NCAA athletic career as a Ragin Cajun
    2) leaving early to go pro

Thread Information