Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketball transfer portal

Default Re: Basketball transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    JE wasn’t competing with NIL. RCAF needs independence yesterday. Football, now MBB both lose guys we needed to stay.
    This is beyond NIL at this point..

Joe Charles is a local guy, recruited from the ground up by UL. When he makes what many here will describe as a "lateral move" to another in-state school or similar, it's all the evidence you need that these players are trying to flee a sinking ship.

Playing in front of 800 fans, and for a coach who publicly confirmed that his main goal every year is to try and win the conference tournament, steal an NCAA bid, and cash in on all of his bonuses and incentives that that provides.... I'd want out too

Quote Originally Posted by CajunGrad16 View Post
    It looks like Joe Charles has entered the transfer portal.

https://x.com/pdtscouting/status/176...Pgip1P0mKNe0tQ
    The way his dad was attacking fans on Twitter, this one is not a big surprise although I wish he would have stayed

Quote Originally Posted by facelessjonmoon View Post
    When we become a glorified farm system for P5 programs it becomes not worth spending hard earned money on any longer. JMO
    Who says he’s going to a P5?

There is a reason he is leaving. That debacle at the end of the season has a lot to do with it. His dad is a classy guy. Met him a few times. I don’t blame him for leaving when the fan base has given up on this coach and the admin will not get rid of the coach. Mcneese will beat us again next year. lol.

I wouldn’t want to play for Bob Marlin either.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCaelan04 View Post
    Please fire Bob.
    I agree it’s time to move on from Marlin, but this disease has infected more than basketball and more than just Marlin’s program. We lost our future at QB (probably future face of the FB program) after he played just half a season.

I received an email five days ago to renew my RCAF membership. Nah…think I’m going to pass this year. I’m just not interested in participating in this NIL and no-sit portal combo game, a game which we can’t win.

My mind is made up until something structurally changes with this downward spiral of D1 football and men’s basketball. Money I want to donate towards UL athletics will just go straight to the baseball, softball and track & field programs.

I believe it is time to move on from Bob Marlin, but it has nothing to do with his success or lack there of on the court. The attendance and fan engagement is putrid and his personality does not fit what we need in the program right now. Question for those that keep focusing on the transfer portal. Can anyone name an individual player on the Savannah Bananas? The names on the roster don't matter when you are trying to build and engage a larger fanbase. We don't need to be worrying about winning anything now. We need to be worrying about how to get the casual fan back. Can winning contribute to that? Absolutely. But winning alone doesn't. That's abundantly clear as proven with multiple programs here. The administration continues to fail at their job to market to, sell and engage fans.

Wish the best to Joe and his family. This feels different than other transfer portal entries.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Who says he’s going to a P5?
    Not sure about Joe Charles specifically- was speaking in general regarding the current portal/ nil situation

we have had more than our fair share of football players go to P5 schools in recent years .

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    Wish the best to Joe and his family. This feels different than other transfer portal entries.
    This! It sucks especially when it’s local guys that decide to transfer

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    I agree it’s time to move on from Marlin, but this disease has infected more than basketball and more than just Marlin’s program. We lost our future at QB (probably future face of the FB program) after he played just half a season.

I received an email five days ago to renew my RCAF membership. Nah…think I’m going to pass this year. I’m just not interested in participating in this NIL and no-sit portal combo game, a game which we can’t win.
    If only we could get our NIL dollars up to the level of…checks notes…McNeese. This is a game we can’t win with the current people in charge of our athletic department. Complete failures.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    If only we could get our NIL dollars up to the level of…checks notes…McNeese. This is a game we can’t win with the current people in charge of our athletic department. Complete failures.
    I'm going to disagree; I (and several others I see posting here) are in totally against the entire NIL process and I will not participate in it. That is no one at UL's fault; that is my decsion. I know full well it will hurt UL athletics but I do not believe in it as it exists now.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    I'm going to disagree; I (and several others I see posting here) are in totally against the entire NIL process and I will not participate in it. That is no one at UL's fault; that is my decsion. I know full well it will hurt UL athletics but I do not believe in it as it exists now.
    That’s great. You now what? There are fans like you at McNeese too. They have been successful in fundraising to the other portion of that community who is not opposed.

This administration being a failure does not stop and start with NIL. They have watched our basketball program become a shell of itself and do nothing but sit idly by. I’m just about sick and tired of being served ____sandwiches and being told it’s premium roast beef.

The complete debacle that is our basketball program began LOOONG before NIL. And, whether Dr. Maggard is willing to see and admit it or not, it will NOT get fixed as long as this failure of a coach is running the program. And signing another top 200 recruiting and transfer class will definitely not help either!!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    The complete debacle that is our basketball program began LOOONG before NIL. And, whether Dr. Maggard is willing to see and admit it or not, it will NOT get fixed as long as this failure of a coach is running the program. And signing another top 200 recruiting and transfer class will definitely not help either!!
    While I agree there was agitation amongst the longtime MBB fanbase towards Marlin before NIL became a thing, I would say at that time, Maggard’s perspective was to go all in on football. Dedicate the resources that Napier told him would need to be done to get the football program to national relevance for really the first time ever, to drive up local interest and fill the stadium.

Problem is, the stadium didn’t fill, for one reason or the other. Going all in on FB did accomplish one of the goals, it brought us national attention and talks of us being the top of the G5, but it didn’t bring in the revenues that I’m sure Maggard was counting on, and now here we are.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information