Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketball transfer portal

Default Re: Basketball transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by MountainDew View Post
    The department needs to look up every tailgater from 2018 and the other years the lots were full and ask 2 questions.

1. Why did you give up your spot?
    2. What can we do to get you back?

Anything other that that is a complete failure by the department.
    It's almost too easy.

They could also bring them gift baskets a la Michael Scott from the Office, but that would actually involve something other than a Facebook post. May be too much community outreach. The ref may take a point away for that, but oh well.

The department needs to look up every tailgater from 2018 and the other years the lots were full and ask 2 questions.

This

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Pretty much a forgone conclusion but Fulks is now officially in the portal as well.
    Hopefully his 4th school works out for him

4. Default Re: Basketball transfer portal

As I have already stated; what a joke UL athletics has become.

Maggard has no clue how to be an effective AD and to make matters worse his supporters decided to give him the title of VP of athletics so the school could pay him more money. Does anyone believe he has earned any of what he has been bestowed??

5. Default Re: Basketball transfer portal

I guess we will have to continue to watch support and money go down the road to BR. At least that school listens to their fan base.

Some of you would say that UL doesn't have the money to listen to the cries and ideas of its fan base, but that hasn't worked out for UL. They have alienated most of the long time supporters like myself and don't seem to have anything in place for newbies that don't know the administration like a lot of us do. UL seems to always go back to the same well and we're tired of the BS and not being heard. Now out of necessity they have to start digging new wells and they don't know the first thing about well digging!!

Can Bob hit the portal? Like him ! Go! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GMG View Post

Maggard has no clue how to be an effective AD and to make matters worse his supporters decided to give him the title of VP of athletics so the school could pay him more money. Does anyone believe he has earned any of what he has been bestowed??
    I think Dr. Maggard is an extremely effective AD. Is he perfect? No. No one is. I don't know if there's another AD I'd prefer. Could you imagine the previous AD navigating this new era of college athletics?

Under his tutelage: created in-house ticketing ops, outbound sales team, brought in Napier and gave him the resources to take us to the pinnacle of SBC football, brand new football facility in-progress, ultra conscious of the student-athlete experience, growing admin side of athletics (more resources), many more I cannot list out because I'm just making a quick post.

Cons: fan experience at games, RCAF stagnation, MBB program interest all-time low, schism with fan-led pods

Give the new Ragin' Cajun Connection pod with Dr. Maggard a listen. Everything I listed above that he's gotten done has been part of a vision laid out by his first strategic plan. This new strategic plan (hard copies will be mailed to RCAF members and available online soon) seems to address glaring issues (i.e. growing the RCAF to 5000 members).

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    I think Dr. Maggard is an extremely effective AD. Is he perfect? No. No one is. I don't know if there's another AD I'd prefer. Could you imagine the previous AD navigating this new era of college athletics?

Under his tutelage: created in-house ticketing ops, outbound sales team, brought in Napier and gave him the resources to take us to the pinnacle of SBC football, brand new football facility in-progress, ultra conscious of the student-athlete experience, growing admin side of athletics (more resources), many more I cannot list out because I'm just making a quick post.

Cons: fan experience at games, RCAF stagnation, MBB program interest all-time low, schism with fan-led pods

Give the new Ragin' Cajun Connection pod with Dr. Maggard a listen. Everything I listed above that he's gotten done has been part of a vision laid out by his first strategic plan. This new strategic plan (hard copies will be mailed to RCAF members and available online soon) seems to address glaring issues (i.e. growing the RCAF to 5000 members).
    What happened to the new RCAF Director? Surely he would bring ideas to not only grow RCAF but to the Cons you mentioned above. I haven't heard anything about or from this person.

Quote Originally Posted by 8675309 View Post
    How much do you give to MBB?
    Now? Nothing until Bob is gone. I was a season ticket holder for many years.

Still have season tickets in football and softball.

10. Default Re: Basketball transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by GMG View Post

You didn't address your mistakes on softball and baseball so even if you are right you've lost a measure of credibility.

This is a great example of some of the outreach, proactive things they could be doing, but I think they believe it's beneath them to have to actually admit they might be wrong and then make such calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    I'm sure the new club prices for football will be reasonable .
    $6k per seat for the first season and $3k per seat after that.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post

Wanted to comment a little on this post. Forewarning, I had my wisdom teeth out today, so preapologies if this isn't the most coherent thing I've ever posted.

I'm not a huge fan of the "would you rather the old guy?" mindset when examining the success of a current leader. There's a reason the previous guy isn't here anymore, and that shouldn't be the benchmark for measuring Maggard's success. Similar to the way saying, "would you rather Robert Lee or Jerry Baldwin?" wouldn't be a solid defense of our basketball and football programs. I have been unimpressed with how we've handled the new era of college athletics. Started it off with the hire of Des (no national coaching search), and we're woefully behind in the NIL game. I understand not competing with the upper echelon of the P5. Getting blown out of the water by programs like McNeese is concerning. Maybe we are on the verge of turning the corner in that regard. I haven't seen anything to make me truly believe that's the case.

Your list of pros and cons seems to be a little reductive of the cons and generous to the pros. For example, I've heard countless times over the past few months about how we are finally fully staffed in sales and RCAF. I'm not seeing anything tangible coming out of that yet. Some of our fans, myself included, are still hearing more from a program like Rice where we attended one event than our hometown team that we support year round, year in and year out. To me at least, the chasm is not just between fan podcasts and the administration. It's between them and our fanbase at large, and the podcasts are just one of the primary venues the admin could use to bridge that gap. You've got folks like me who are are distruPleasel of our admin at this point. A large part of that comes from how closely we seem to be guarding our messaging. The only transparency we offer is in the most controlled of controlled environments (the pod you mentioned for example). We seem more concerned with how we distribute our narrative than the actual content of the message or if it will ring true to the people we are telling it to.

I joked about it earlier, but our vocal fanbase members are not a group of vindictive, saboteurs hellbent on ruining this program. We are working class people giving our honest reactions to the things we see and experience. To see an admin unwilling to meet us in the spaces we visit and to have our voices written off as destructive and "too negative" and being told, "why do you all need to know so much," is unbelievably discouraging. Especially considering we are consistently referred to as the investors of the program.

I think you make some valid points. I hope my post comes off as intended, a case for the things I disagree with, not a dismissal of your viewpoint. I am aware that I am sour grapes at this point, and I am laying a lot at the feet of Bryan Maggard who is not necessarily responsible for every area we are coming up short currently. I expect to see a guy in his position controlling what he can and being as big of an advocate as possible for his "investors" in areas where his control is not direct. I haven't seen that from him in some time and want to see a resurgence of that dimension in his leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    $6k per seat for the first season and $3k per seat after that.
    No thanks, lol. This is G5 football.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Wanted to comment a little on this post. Forewarning, I had my wisdom teeth out today, so preapologies if this isn't the most coherent thing I've ever posted.

I'm not a huge fan of the "would you rather the old guy?" mindset when examining the success of a current leader. There's a reason the previous guy isn't here anymore, and that shouldn't be the benchmark for measuring Maggard's success. Similar to the way saying, "would you rather Robert Lee or Jerry Baldwin?" wouldn't be a solid defense of our basketball and football programs. I have been unimpressed with how we've handled the new era of college athletics. Started it off with the hire of Des (no national coaching search), and we're woefully behind in the NIL game. I understand not competing with the upper echelon of the P5. Getting blown out of the water by programs like McNeese is concerning. Maybe we are on the verge of turning the corner in that regard. I haven't seen anything to make me truly believe that's the case.

Your list of pros and cons seems to be a little reductive of the cons and generous to the pros. For example, I've heard countless times over the past few months about how we are finally fully staffed in sales and RCAF. I'm not seeing anything tangible coming out of that yet. Some of our fans, myself included, are still hearing more from a program like Rice where we attended one event than our hometown team that we support year round, year in and year out. To me at least, the chasm is not just between fan podcasts and the administration. It's between them and our fanbase at large, and the podcasts are just one of the primary venues the admin could use to bridge that gap. You've got folks like me who are are distruPleasel of our admin at this point. A large part of that comes from how closely we seem to be guarding our messaging. The only transparency we offer is in the most controlled of controlled environments (the pod you mentioned for example). We seem more concerned with how we distribute our narrative than the actual content of the message or if it will ring true to the people we are telling it to.

I joked about it earlier, but our vocal fanbase members are not a group of vindictive, saboteurs hellbent on ruining this program. We are working class people giving our honest reactions to the things we see and experience. To see an admin unwilling to meet us in the spaces we visit and to have our voices written off as destructive and "too negative" and being told, "why do you all need to know so much," is unbelievably discouraging. Especially considering we are consistently referred to as the investors of the program.

I think you make some valid points. I hope my post comes off as intended, a case for the things I disagree with, not a dismissal of your viewpoint. I am aware that I am sour grapes at this point, and I am laying a lot at the feet of Bryan Maggard who is not necessarily responsible for every area we are coming up short currently. I expect to see a guy in his position controlling what he can and being as big of an advocate as possible for his "investors" in areas where his control is not direct. I haven't seen that from him in some time and want to see a resurgence of that dimension in his leadership.
    Good post, I didn’t take it as a dismissal. I think at the end of the day my viewpoint is that we’re a G5 university with a low budget and no athletic student fees like our peers. We’re doing what we can, but with room for improvement. For example, I hope he doesn’t believe our RV tailgating spots aren’t expensive enough.

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 ... LastLast

Thread Information