Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketball transfer portal

1. Default Re: Basketball transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by facelessjonmoon View Post
    When we become a glorified farm system for P5 programs it becomes not worth spending hard earned money on any longer. JMO
    This is what I’ve been saying since this foolishness started. It’s not worth it because we will always be playing as a AA team for the big boys.

2. Default Re: Basketball transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    James Madison had 3 guys enter portal yesterday, including their best player in Edwards. The Cajuns are not alone in having to deal with this changing world.
    Its not new (changing) for Louisiana.

Marlin has had to deal with discontent and premature departures since the beginning of his tenure at Louisiana. (fear the beard)

Default Re: Basketball transfer portal

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by TammanyCajun View Post
    South Alabama is not the model from which our program should be designed.
    A few months ago, I would have agreed with that view. In the new world, ALL mid majors may have to adopt the South Alabama model to some degree. I understand that is turning many people away from college sports. In our case, I believe players are looking for NIL dollars we don’t have.

Kobe has been here for 5 years. He's fought back from injuries to play for the Cajuns. I'm happy for him and wish him luck. Would anyone want to return to this program and play for Marlin right now?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Would anyone want to return to this program and play for Marlin right now?
    Evidently not

Charles, Julien and Fulks…. Who is next?

Staff will have to bring in transfers of their own to have a decent roster. South Alabama does it every year.
    Yeah Mike, we've had 3 starters enter the portal with much of our bench not ready to contribute. Sounds like a winner.

A few months ago, I would have agreed with that view. In the new world, ALL mid majors may have to adopt the South Alabama model to some degree. I understand that is turning many people away from college sports. In our case, I believe players are looking for NIL dollars we don’t have.
    Great. That doesn't bode well for our program

9. Default Re: Basketball transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by facelessjonmoon View Post
    Evidently not

Charles, Julien and Fulks…. Who is next?
    You also forgot the departure of Blake Butler who was a heavy contributor off the bench that left after 15 games. I think that Brandon Hardy is going to make a big time leap next season for the Cajuns. I also think their will be at least one surprise addition as a transfer that will help tremendously. I think you will see a very different looking team next year vs this year as it will be much more of a physical team rather than a 3 point/finesse team. I said it earlier in the season, I think the biggest weakness for this team was the physicality of the team that was lacking. I don't know if this team will be good or bad next year, but I do know it will not be the same make up as we saw in 23/24 season. Kitenge is going to have some help down low, with a true rebounder/defender. Hardy will move into a starters role and I think will be much more physical than our current roster of guards. MT will assume the duties of PG and should have taken that role from Fulks much earlier in the season. The guys on the current roster that will need to make strides this offseason are Chancellor White, Brandon Hardy, Kyren Ratliff and London Fields. I also think that you will see a big-time freshman contribution from Jeremiah Evans. Evans, Kitenge and the transfer (if this happens) and Ratliff will give us a huge interior presence vs what we had this year.

I’m not sure why several folks are surprised at this turnover once again.

I want Marlin replaced as well, but keep in mind, the next coach WILL face this same annual issue.

Say what you want about the coach but take a look around, this is the landscape of college athletics now, especially at the mid major level. I remember an interview with Brock Morris when he was still here where he said “you can no longer look at it as building a program, you are building an individual team each year”. Writing has been on the wall for a few years now.

12. Default Re: Basketball transfer portal

The massive turnover in the Marlin era has been going on (for going on) 15 years.

I don't think that cuts him some slack just because the current landscape has caught up with his system.

13. Default Re: Basketball transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    The massive turnover in the Marlin era has been going on (for going on) 15 years.

I don't think that cuts him some slack just because the current landscape has caught up with his system.
    WOW if it is not the ultimate incorrect assumption solely for agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by TammanyCajun View Post
    South Alabama is not the model from which our program should be designed.
    While I agree with your statement, it is the players who are deciding to enter the portal, there is no control over that.

15. Default Re: Basketball transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    WOW if it is not the ultimate incorrect assumption solely for agenda.
    You either think he is going to improve the program or you don't care if he does or not.

That is < than an agenda.

Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 ... LastLast

Thread Information