Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketball transfer portal

Default Re: Basketball transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Foote wrote an article in October of this past year about poor attendance at our football games, and he closes the article with this quote from Maggard: "That’s the nature of our beast. When you win, the naysayers are quiet and when you lose, they clink. But if I made my decisions based on that small percentage of people who think they’re helping the program when they do that when in reality they’re hurting the program, I wouldn’t be in this chair very long."

It’s important to note, as evidenced by this quote and by SM’s post, this is not an opinion of just Vic of or a group of outliers on RP. This is the prevailing mindset amongst our leaders and decision makers at the university and athletic offices. This is further evidenced by the fact that RR has essentially been blacklisted until they coalesce and rein in what they speak about.

IMO one of the things we are seeing here is a group who has traditionally been able to tightly control the messaging that is put out to the public grappling with a changing society where that is not so easily done. In previous generations, these conversations happened exclusively in private at the water cooler, on the back porch, at the tailgate, etc. Traditional media didn’t speak about these things, and, if they did, it would resemble the article I mentioned above. Predominantly filtered through administrators and university officials. Then some of the discussions moved to message boards. While a thorn in the side of the objective of controlling the narrative, message boards for a G5 athletic program are still a fairly niche section of the internet. Then people start communicating with each other in spaces on social media where huge sections of the population are. Now you have podcasts almost replacing radio programs or at least the way most people consume those shows. Guys like the hosts of RR are on Twitter and Facebook. You can find their show on YouTube and all the major podcast apps. People are, in a sense, cutting out the middle man of traditional sources and just speaking directly with each other.

I see the following miscalculations in the university’s approach:

1. They seem to be determined to push a square peg through a round hole. This is not 1987’s society. It’s not even 2002’s. We are in the year 2024, and our approach needs to reflect we understand that.
    2. It is a lie or misremembrance to say the naysayers were quiet during the winning years. Plenty of people were on the record telling them the gameday experience was unacceptable even during the Napier years.
    3. They seem to take the “negative” vocal fans as a disruptive minority. When your stadiums are 1/10 to 1/3 full on nearly every given day, your community, at large, is not reacting with your product offering in a positive way. They may not be vocalizing it, but they are communicating to you that your product is not worth their time and money.
    DAMN good post. I said for a couple of years now that Dr. Maggard seems to only want to get input from a small inner circle of buddies and other insiders. I am not aware of ANY attempts to meet with a group of just regular fans, supporters and donors to try to find out what he doesn’t know or is missing. The problem is that NOTHING will change until he does.

The worst thing about my line of work and his is to not know what you don’t know.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    I do have expectations. You should read what I post not what you read into what I post. In your instance those are always very different. You know, ___.

Not once have I ever taken the position that any fan, supporter, donor, etc. should not have the unequivocal right to post or distribute through whatever medium floats their boat whatever they want to disseminate.

What I have suggested, however, is that before doing so, it may be prudent to evaluate their respective goals and decide if they’re program, sport, university, etc. will be better off or worse of after such information is put out there in the public.

No more, no less. No cancel culture, no limitations, nothing.
    You don't post any content. It's just responses to other posters mostly just criticizing them for being critical. lol

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    DAMN good post. I said for a couple of years now that Dr. Maggard seems to only want to get input from a small inner circle of buddies and other insiders. I am not aware of ANY attempts to meet with a group of just regular fans, supporters and donors to try to find out what he doesn’t know or is missing. The problem is that NOTHING will change until he does.

The worst thing about my line of work and his is to not know what you don’t know.
    There were miscalculations on both sides.

And EVERY organization has an inner circle. Work, church, non profits…on and on. And the vast majority of those, you really don’t want to know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    There were miscalculations on both sides.

And EVERY organization has an inner circle. Work, church, non profits…on and on. And the vast majority of those, you really don’t want to know everything.
    What are the two sides?

5. Default Re: Basketball transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    You don't post any content. It's just responses to other posters mostly just criticizing them for being critical. lol
    wut

vic derangement syndrome

get checked

6. Default Re: Basketball transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I have never seen CajunVic at a MBB game. Does he attend other sporting events?

7. Default Re: Basketball transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by 8675309 View Post
    I have never seen CajunVic at a MBB game. Does he attend other sporting events?
    I have attended a couple basketball games this year. I attended one football game this year. I have watched all of them on the plus. I have attended almost all home baseball games this year. Anything else for you?

In EVERY successful organization, that inner circle has a finger on the pulse of the larger community they represent. Anyone naive enough to believe that to be the case at UL currently probably has a few timeshares on the ocean in Tucson.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    What are the two sides?
    If you need it explained, you do not see it and never will.

In EVERY successful organization, that inner circle has a finger on the pulse of the larger community they represent. Anyone naive enough to believe that to be the case at UL currently probably has a few timeshares on the ocean in Tucson.
    Did I say anything about successful? C S Lewis covers it pretty well, calls it the inner ring. Becoming a member of an inner ring does not end in satisfaction.

Besides history is the best demonstration of this. Many great empires have come and gone. Leaders thought they had it all under control, but in the end lost it.

Meanwhile, I’m sure we all expected this one day happening in the portal.

https://notthebee.com/article/an-ala...9ScyxOagWhFTyo

Ecaxtly.

A fellow fan told me at the start of baseball season that, in a conversation with Maggard, he suggested to him that maybe the University was charging too much for RV spots… since we went from sold out with a waiting list to only 20% sold. He said Maggard paused a bit, then said… “I think we’re not charging enough.”

Could anything make the point better than this?

Ecaxtly.

A fellow fan told me at the start of baseball season that, in a conversation with Maggard, he suggested to him that maybe the University was charging too much for RV spots… since we went from sold out with a waiting list to only 20% sold. He said Maggard paused a bit, then said… “I think we’re not charging enough.”

It's like they keep getting dumber.

If you need it explained, you do not see it and never will.

Did I say anything about successful? C S Lewis covers it pretty well, calls it the inner ring. Becoming a member of an inner ring does not end in satisfaction.

Besides history is the best demonstration of this. Many great empires have come and gone. Leaders thought they had it all under control, but in the end lost it.

Meanwhile, I’m sure we all expected this one day happening in the portal.

https://notthebee.com/article/an-ala...9ScyxOagWhFTyo
    I'm glad this happened (not to Iowa) because maybe, just maybe, the ones with the power will put some guidelines in place to stop the madness.

Of course, I'm probably being naive.

Ecaxtly.

I'm sure the new club prices for football will be reasonable .

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    I'm sure the new club prices for football will be reasonable .
    Between a RCAF base where the majority is moving closer to retirement quickly and inflation, the powers that be better hit a marketing home run on CF. Disposable income is fading quickly for the elders.

Ecaxtly.

So they are raising prices with no demand. Hmmmm.

Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 ... LastLast

Thread Information