2016-2017 - 6th
    2017-2018 - 1st
    2018-2019 - 5th
    2019-2020 - 8th
    2020-2021 - 4th
    2021-2022 - 8th
    2022-2023 - 2nd (tournament winner)
    2023-2024 - 5th

That means our average finish under Bob is right between 4th and 5th place. The community, excluding a few members of the vocal minority in the Rebounder’s Club, have spoken loud and clear about what they think of this success rate with their continued absence from the CajunDome. Much has been made about Ticketmaster fees and concession prices. I acknowledge the legitimacy of these concerns, but these issues are not stopping the community from supporting every country (pop) star that comes through town, wrestling, monster trucks, comic con, etc. etc.

I’ve seen it said that Bob Marlin knows improvement is expected. What reason what would I have as a consumer to believe this is true? Bob Marlin produced a 4 season stretch with an average finish of 6th place in the SBC before the addition of several quality programs and was still retained because of a run to the tournament finals. Why should I believe more is expected of him? We were just bounced out of the conference tournament after an embarrassing 27 point loss. The reverse has not been applied. A poor run in the conference tournament has not resulted in his dismissal. It has not been communicated by our administration to the fans that more is expected. In fact, if you take them on their actions and disregard words, even less could be expected next year with zero repercussions based on the history.

It’s been said that Bob Marlin expects to improve next season. I respect that. No real competitor expects to fail. But again, why should I (the consumer, paying customer, 1 of 800 remaining season ticket holders) be expected to believe this? The results of his tenure do not support this belief. I was told numerous times during our win streak that this team, this season, were different than past Bob teams following a successful squad. This was ultimately proven to not be true.

My apathy with this program is at an all-time low. That is really depressing to say as Cajuns basketball was my first draw to UL sports. I only keep my season ticket at this point to show the administration that there are still fans out there who care about the program. I used to be not real convinced in my own logic there. I thought maybe the admins need to see even further how over this current situation people are. I can’t believe that to be true either though after record breakingly low attendance figures this season still didn’t draw any public reaction from those in charge.

I’d appreciate any and all thoughts on the current state of the program here. I’m sure some will be much more optimistic than mine, and I welcome that too. If I’m being honest about my outlook for the future of the program though, the main word that comes to mind is “bleak.”

Default Re: State of the Basketball Program

Complacent.

Too many people care more about personal relationships than winning on the court. Look no further than when there were people out there justifying a 8th place finish in conference just a few years ago (“we dont have a PG,” “our admin gave football all of the money,” “who else are we going to get”). And we all know where those quotes are coming from. Until we change the way we think and actually have ambitions beyond just getting by every year, this downward trend will continue. It’s obvious.

That is where I see the state of the basketball program.

It is not just the team's record, it is so tiresome to hear Marlin's excuses after every game we lose.

How many times have we heard a coach from any sport at any level say,
    "It's on me, I didn't have my team ready."

Now how many times can you recall Marlin saying that? If he has, they are few and far between.

Marlin's constant reasons/excuses for poor performance are tiresome and too long to list.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Complacent.

Too many people care more about personal relationships than winning on the court. Look no further than when there were people out there justifying a 8th place finish in conference just a few years ago (“we dont have a PG,” “our admin gave football all of the money,” “who else are we going to get”). And we all know where those quotes are coming from. Until we change the way we think and actually have ambitions beyond just getting by every year, this downward trend will continue. It’s obvious.

That is where I see the state of the basketball program.
    What basketball program

I hate to break it to you but the current coaches at UL will be here for awhile. Both football and basketball could lose 70% of their games and still be brought back. Maggard has checked out and the rest don't care.

Everyone knows the issue: As long as Bob Marlin and his bride are running the show then no one will be going back to the Cajun Dome.
    Fans have told this to the Admin and Dr Maggard loud and clear: get rid of Bob Marlin and replace him with a fresh young coach to pump excitement into a once proud program and we will return.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    If I’m being honest about my outlook for the future of the program though, the main word that comes to mind is “bleak.”
    Boy I hope you don't have a podcast, cause you finna get blackballed.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    I hate to break it to you but the current coaches at UL will be here for awhile. Both football and basketball could lose 70% of their games and still be brought back. Maggard has check out and the rest don't care.
    As a friend once said, UL Basketball is the perfect “C student.”

We could make an A, but make a C and pound our chest because everyone else in the class made F’s.

I feel for people who still care about the program. My thoughts a few years ago was that I am no longer watching something that doesn’t bring me joy. Been sober from basketball for 2+ years.

You can look at the finishes you posted and see why no one cares about the program. It’s obvious the administration doesn’t care so why should the fan base.

This is going to be what happens with UL football as well.

Worst thing to happen to this program since the death penalty was making the NCAA Tournament last year. Great experience for the players, but was the nail in the coffin for the few fans left.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    I feel for people who still care about the program. My thoughts a few years ago was that I am no longer watching something that doesn’t bring me joy. Been sober from basketball for 2+ years.

You can look at the finishes you posted and see why no one cares about the program. It’s obvious the administration doesn’t care so why should the fan base.

This is going to be what happens with UL football as well.
    It's already happening in football. Saw the writing on the wall when they hired Des. It's all embarrassing. And with all of these fans showing they aren't going to support those programs, you'd think you'd hear or see SOMETHING from this admin......but no. And there are so many things behind the scenes that most fans don't know about, that would make your head explode. I'm just about done with it all.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Worst thing to happen to this program since the death penalty was making the NCAA Tournament last year. Great experience for the players, but was the nail in the coffin for the few fans left.
    That sounds insane. Make the tournament and more fans bail? No one would believe it until they went to the dome for the game. However bad it looked on tv for most of the games sans the Southern Miss one, it was worse being in there. Some funerals have more atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    It's already happening in football. Saw the writing on the wall when they hired Des. It's all embarrassing. And with all of these fans showing they aren't going to support those programs, you'd think you'd hear or see SOMETHING from this admin......but no. And there are so many things behind the scenes that most fans don't know about, that would make your head explode. I'm just about done with it all.
    Why don't you elaborate instead of insinuating? We all know there is something going on, no one can be that incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    I knew this athletic program was in trouble when I saw the attendance for the SBC championship game at Cajun Field. A one loss team hosting the conference championship game against the premier football team in our conference. Probably the best weather I have seen at Cajun Field in 20+ years. No LSU game to compete with. And we drew a crowd in the low 30's. No reason to not have 40k people there.

We have a situation where we already have a hard enough time getting the people of Lafayette to support the hometown university. Pair that with an administration that is either completely incompetent, or just uninterested in any sort of success, and you get what we are seeing now.

I don't mean to make this a football thread, but the state of the athletic program as a whole is in a rapid decline. Especially if you look around the conference and see schools like App St, JMU, Marshall, and USM making a push for their program.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    The way I see it is I was here before this administration, and I’ll be here after they have moved on. I can’t pretend and say I care like I used to though. Blowing a game like we did this year at Georgia State I would’ve been ____ed for a hot minute back in the day. I’m over it by the time I hit the parking lot now. Most of what used to be our fanbase barely even realizes the game happened. That part is tough to stomach.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information