Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion: What a joke UL athletics has turned into!

Default Re: What a joke UL athletics has turned into!

if someone donates $500k to our basketball program NIL fund we too could win our conference like Wade.

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Not to nitpick but they lost to Louisiana tech.

They also beat college of biblical studies, champion Baptist, letourneau and Mississippi university for birthing people.

They have been impressive as their guard play has been ridiculously good along with how physical their inside guys are.

Having said all that, they lost to slu and needed a late 3 to beat Lamar. I think they were lucky to beat us as well.

If they played our schedule do you think they would be 30-3? I don’t. App and JMU would give them fits. Usm is a different team at home. I’m not saying the sun belt is a juggernaut but they wouldn’t run roughshod through the belt like they did through the southland.

It’ll be interesting to see if they can sustain their success once wade bolts. I would keep an eye on the Louisville job.
    Youre right on Latech my bad..

Quote Originally Posted by ecajuns View Post
    if someone donates $500k to our basketball program NIL fund we too could win our conference like Wade.
    It's my understanding that less than a year ago UL had a golden opportunity for all 3 major men's sports. Basically turned the individual away in a meeting. The guy had an open checkbook. Wanted a presence here. Again, how dare we be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Let’s not forget that McNeese’s “major basketball success” came from playing a cupcake schedule and a cupcake conference. Their SOS is in the 300s, and they are 1-2 against schools in the top 100RPI.

They punched their ticket because the SLC is a horrible basketball conference. With the level of talent in the SLC, our teams would have made the NCAAs 9/10 years.

So good for them, but Marlin - the guy everyone thinks sucks - has consistently put better teams than this on the floor. They ain’t that special.
    They’re special enough to beat Michigan, VCU, and UAB. You think our team could have done that? I don’t. They also beat us and had the city of Lake Charles on edge while we can hear crickets in the Cajundome because almost the entire fan base has checked out at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    It's my understanding that less than a year ago UL had a golden opportunity for all 3 major men's sports. Basically turned the individual away in a meeting. The guy had an open checkbook. Wanted a presence here. Again, how dare we be successful.
    Please continue….

Come again?!

7. Default Re: What a joke UL athletics has turned into!

What is everyone's first and last name that was involved in this meeting?

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    *its crazy that i have to put this disclaimer out there -because anything remotely not agreeing with the pitch forks automatically is seen as supporting the admin - we need to schedule better. with that said, marlin would be crucified if he scheduled the way the pokes did in non conference this year.

The SBC "upgraded" with the much ballyhooed MAC/SBC Challenge. Basically two games to remind both leagues where their place is. It is better than some NAIA Mountain Hollow Backroad U, but not a needle mover.

The part about putting a disclaimer is so true. Scheduling, go dig up an old media guide. Cupcakes are a regular staple on all schedules. Even when a G5 plays a P5, guess what...the G5 is usually the cupcake.

McNeese beating Michigan this year is akin to USL beating aTm in football. A team can be so bad, you can't help but beat them. Aggies gifted the ball seven times. Michigan has been in complete chaos this year with an administration that was too busy going after the CFP championship to care as Howard's performance has been sliding over the last three seasons.

Can't post that without more details!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    Marlins non conference schedule DOES suck. You think his non conf scheduling is good???
    Our road non conference schedule was strong this past year. 2 opponents won their conference in both the regular season and tournament. Two others finished second in their league. The three D1 teams we played at home this past year all did well in their conference seasons. Granted those schools are not familiar to people here but it is inaccurate to say our D1 non conference schedule was not challenging. I agree with all that 2 non D1 games is too many. Fortunately it was not 3 like many other teams in our league and the SLC play. There are more good D1 teams from the area coming to the Dome next season. Hopefully we go down to only 1 non D1 game.

Here's a killer OOC run from years back, all in a row. Birmingham-Southern, Louisiana College, Alcorn State, Bethume-Cookman.

Or these teams one year, Xavier (NO), Bellhaven, Louisiana College, Southern, Alcorn State, with Nicholls, Samford and McNesse State blended in.

Plenty more, just go look. It's nothing new the last 30 years. Even BP had New York Tech on the schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by ecajuns View Post
    Will Wade made $200k this year.. how much did Marlin make?

Cut it out with this crap.. this program is circling the toilet. It's not time for cloak and dagger, or trying to protect sources.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    Hmm lets see

They beat us, Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, UAB, VCU and Michigan.....not saying they had the hardest schedule in the world but they took care of business

You act like the Sunbelt has been juggernaut in basketball the past 10 years...it has not been anywhere close to that.
    We’re not great, La Tech is not great, and Michigan (believe it or not) is genuinely terrible.

The Sun Belt is not a juggernaut, but the Southland is next-level bad. Aside from McNeese, there is only one other school that cracks the top 200 in RPI.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Please continue….
    They won’t, and considering what we’re seeing, I’d rather someone not post crap like that on here unless they’ve also got some legit details to accompany it.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    McNeese has a quality softball program. Their RPI as of pregame yesterday was 33. No surprise that we beat them, but also no surprise that we had to work for it.
    This.

In 2022, McNeese was playing in the Regional Champ game vs host Northwestern.

Last season, they would have been playing in a Super Regional against us were it not for a last inning 7 run inning by Washington.

They’ve got some really good momentum at that program right now, and unless something changes there to cause them to tumble, I expect them to be a tough opponent every time we play.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information