Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Opinion: What a joke UL athletics has turned into!

Default Re: What a joke UL athletics has turned into!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I agree Joe Public should be fired up about Softball's potential after they beat the unbeatable.
    Ha.. Baseball beat the national Champs in the regular season last year..... How many new fans did that net us?

2. Default Re: What a joke UL athletics has turned into!

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    Ha.. Baseball beat the national Champs in the regular season last year..... How many new fans did that net us?
    Not hard to figure the difference, you have a known known, and a known unknown.

The future BB champs had 6-losses at that point in the season. Good win, not great. It looks better in hindsight but no one is looking back.

Oklahoma had zero losses the previous 71. Known known at the time of the event.

Louisiana baseball got swept the very next weekend, putting a damper on the win over a yet to be known BB champ.

Up to that point the future champs had 28 losses the previous and current year.

The baseball win was fun but only looks great in the rear view mirror.

The softball win looks great right now, and in the week since.

Default Re: Opinion: What a joke UL athletics has turned into!

that post is perfectly accurate.

Long post alert:

I cant disagree with most of the opinions the OP is giving in this thread.

However, the position he/she is taking regarding softball and baseball is ridiculous. The landscape of college softball now compared to what it was in the predecessors’ times is quite different. Not to mention that this team was in a Super Regional 10 months ago!

And as for baseball, the prior two coaches were brought up as being nationally ranked and whatever else. The Mike Boulanger era was special, no doubt. 4 Regionals in 7 seasons is fantastic. But there’s a reason he was no longer the coach following a 42 win season.

Now…let me preface this by saying I thought the world of Coach Robe. The man is a legend, period, end of story. He was in Regionals in 12 of his 25 seasons and we are all aware of what he was and what he did. BUT…to say that the program has “deteriorated” under Matt Deggs and that he is “average” is nonsense. He took over a program coming off a losing record. Coach Robe actually had 4 of those (and one .500 season). Coach Deggs has been here for 3 full seasons. His first year was the COVID year and the season was cancelled after 17 games, so that is irrelevant. In his 3 full seasons, his teams have been in regionals twice, including an at large bid just 10 months ago. They missed in 2021 but were in the mix, and had a deep pitching staff led by 2 potential big league pitchers. Who’s to say they couldn’t have won a double elimination SBC tourney had weather not forced it into single elimination?

The team’s record has improved every season for the last 4 full years, which includes Coach Robe’s final season. Not to mention that with the condensed MLB draft the talent in college baseball is at an all time high (and it’s not close) and the fact that the current Sun Belt Conference, compared to what it was a few short years ago is MUCH more difficult. Coach Deggs has his detractors, it’s painfully obvious reading this board, but the job he’s doing with the program since he took over is far from “average” and the opinion that this program is deteriorating is complete nonsense.

Maybe attendance is what this opinion is based on. And that’s fair, to an extent. This program still draws more people than anyone but the blue bloods. And I feel confident in saying that most of the games being aired on espn+ is a factor in attendance, as is the price of attendance, etc. But the interest is certainly still there.

5. Default Re: Opinion: What a joke UL athletics has turned into!

Wait till the increase in baseball season comes next year. They are pricing the common hard working fan out!!!

And it is a shame what they are doing with this increase in pricing in this inflated era!!

Horrible! I guess the powers to be do not have to go to the grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Rock View Post
    Wait till the increase in baseball season comes next year. They are pricing the common hard working fan out!!!

And it is a shame what they are doing with this increase in pricing in this inflated era!!

Horrible! I guess the powers to be do not have to go to the grocery store.
    Why would anyone want to increase ticket prices to baseball when we just experienced a drop in season ticket sales?

This is Econ 101 stuff.

7. Default Re: What a joke UL athletics has turned into!

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestStory View Post
    Please notice the the word "your" in the quoted comment.

Pretty odd that someone who has has supposedly donated "thousands of dollars" doesn't use the word our when talking about our athletic director.
    It's amazing that you can actually type a few words that mean absolutely nothing. I don't deal in delusions just reality and don't plan on using "our" in anything I post regarding UL.

The only person busted is you with your show of ignorance. When you have donated at least $50k, come back and look ne up so you can tell ne how you actually feel. I'm guessing your in your 30s and just don't know what reality is.

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    God forbid UL to "roll the dice" on a damn good coach. Oh, I forgot, WW isn't perfect.
    Isn't perfect is an understatement. The guy can coach, but he was recorded offering a recruit $100K. You lay down with dogs, you will get flees. There was no way this president was ever going to approve the hiring of a guy like that. So, all this head banging over Wade is internet entertainment for the McNeese State crowd. I could care less about them.

I'm not supporting Marlin, so fans can vent away. And people that have donated money can vent away as well. Again, we've heard it all before and each person can determine when the time has come to walk away. I'm halfway there today.

Quote Originally Posted by GMG View Post
    I don't deal in delusions just reality and don't plan on using "our" in anything I post regarding UL
    Oh really? Just looking at post #48, seems like you have used "our" twice in that post alone:

The bottom line is how long will you and our university allow poor coaching and attendance in every sport continue??
    We all want our university to succeed.
    So it looks like you did use "our" regarding UL.

The only person busted is you with your show of ignorance. When you have donated at least $50k, come back and look ne up so you can tell ne how you actually feel. I'm guessing your in your 30s and just don't know what reality is.
    Not sure what age has to do with anything, but I have a kid in their 30's, so you are wrong about that as well as your assessment of the state of Ragin Cajun athletics.

It would seem that someone who donated "$50K" would have a clue about our baseball and softball teams.

I will congratulate you on being right about Marlin not being a good coach.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Why would anyone want to increase ticket prices to baseball when we just experienced a drop in season ticket sales?

This is Econ 101 stuff.
    Know your place, sir. They know what they are doing.

I don't know why some of you are obsessed with making the OP a McNeese fan, or a fan of any rival school. I agree with pretty much everything he said except the stuff about the baseball and softball programs/coaches. I swear, some of you are in complete denial. The only alternative is you're fine with mediocre. The COMPLETE dismissal of fans, students/greeks is insane. So insane, it's hard not to think it's being done on purpose. The level of "just dont give a $#!+" at which this admin operates is insane. The basketball and football programs are burning and there are fans still defending and making excuses for them. I guess as long as we keep seing 1000 fans and dropping at basketball, and 10000 people and dropping at football games, you're ok with that. And hell, why not, this admin is obviously fine with it. They not only not do $#!+ to change it, they do things to sabotage it further! But yeah, let's focus on who the OP is a fan of. Let's put our super sleuth caps on and really dive into that. We can't have any objective people come here and lay out the already obvious truth! Let's throw rocks at him and make the bad man go away. God forbid these programs keep sliding into obscurity, you'll wish you hadn't ignored, defended and promulgated this $#!+ show.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Isn't perfect is an understatement. The guy can coach, but he was recorded offering a recruit $100K. You lay down with dogs, you will get flees. There was no way this president was ever going to approve the hiring of a guy like that. So, all this head banging over Wade is internet entertainment for the McNeese State crowd. I could care less about them.

I'm not supporting Marlin, so fans can vent away. And people that have donated money can vent away as well. Again, we've heard it all before and each person can determine when the time has come to walk away. I'm halfway there today.
    Great post. Will Wade is still a douche bag.

I totally agree the university is NOT handling things correctly regarding athletics, but when someone comes in here and says the baseball team & coaches suck and the softball team & coaches suck, they are obviously not informed and I can not take them seriously.

Being objective and being completely wrong are not the same thing.

Are we supposed to jump up and down because he was right about Marlin not being a good coach and just ignore the other nonsense he posted? That is the equivalent of being happy for your kid who made an A+ in one subject and failed the other subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestStory View Post
    I totally agree the university is NOT handling things correctly regarding athletics, but when someone comes in here and says the baseball team & coaches suck and the softball team & coaches suck, they are obviously not informed and I can not take them seriously.

Being objective and being completely wrong are not the same thing.

Are we supposed to jump up and down because he was right about Marlin not being a good coach and just ignore the other nonsense he posted? That is the equivalent of being happy for your kid who made an A+ in one subject and failed the other subjects.
    "That is the equivalent of being happy for your kid who made an A+ in one subject and failed the other subjects."

That's kinda what you did. Jumping up and down about the A (baseball/softball) , but ignoring the F.

Ok, my bad.

As long as one good point is made, everything else can be complete nonsense.

I get it now, carry on.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information