Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: UMASS to the MAC

Default Re: UMASS to the MAC

Quote Originally Posted by facelessjonmoon View Post
    This . I was at all 3 but our fanbase is soft AF

Okie lite game had a very nice crowd for a Friday night game . We were up at halftime and then Justin Blackmon and Brandon Weeden decided to go off in the second half

k State game was a great game . Walk off FG win was a good time

The ____ing Boise state game was moved up to a hot September morning for a ____ing podunk tv network that no one even got . It was ridiculous. We got ____ed on that one. One of the hottest games I’ve been to at Cajun field other than the noon Arky State game which was also moved up for bull____ tv. Fat old fans were getting IV’s during that game

No IV for this fattass. I went get custard across the street. lol

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    Going back to UMass, I too think this is a good move. UMass was actually a member of the MAC from 2012-2015, so they're probably familiar with how the conference runs.

I'm starting to notice a trend though. First Army to the AAC, now UMass to the MAC. Is there a reason why these independent schools are joining conferences? My gut feel is that it has something to do with media coverage or something along those lines. I doubt it's easy for crappy programs like UMass or UConn to make a lot of money with TV deals whenever they aren't affiliated with a conference. I think having exposure on ESPN with the MAC will create more $$$ for the school. Just my thoughts tho.
    A major shift in College athletics is coming and UMASS sees the writing on the wall. Also, Having a travel partner and a conference full of teams to play makes life much easier scheduling wise. That and the reasons you stated are why.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    I think this makes sense from the MAC perspective. Buffalo was kind of on an island, this gives them another NE presence. I would not at all be surprised if they add another NE school to the mix.

From UMASS perspective this also makes sense. They cannot live as a football independent, and no other conference wants them right now. The only place this hurts is in basketball, where they leave the A-10 for the MAC which would be a step backwards. But in almost all other sports, joining the MAC is an improvement from their current situation. I would not be surprised if the MAC continues to try to get UCONN or Army to join the conference as a football member only or move to get an FCS team in the NE to move up.
    Buffalo is less than 200 miles from Akron

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    Going back to UMass, I too think this is a good move. UMass was actually a member of the MAC from 2012-2015, so they're probably familiar with how the conference runs.

I'm starting to notice a trend though. First Army to the AAC, now UMass to the MAC. Is there a reason why these independent schools are joining conferences? My gut feel is that it has something to do with media coverage or something along those lines. I doubt it's easy for crappy programs like UMass or UConn to make a lot of money with TV deals whenever they aren't affiliated with a conference. I think having exposure on ESPN with the MAC will create more $$$ for the school. Just my thoughts tho.
    Conference are starting to reduce the OC games. Makes scheduling extremely tough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information