Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Another Day In Cajunland

Default Re: Another Day In Cajunland

I don’t know where to put this, but why did they stop letting people on the baseball field after the games?

My son brought a friend to his first Cajun’s game on Saturday. They corralled a foul ball and later got it signed along with the game day program. My son told him how he used to play on the field but they don’t allow that anymore. The other said that would be so cool and asked if I knew. I honestly don’t, but they have the fluorescent green shirts lining the field to prevent anyone from doing so.

Why the reason for keeping kids from making childhood memories that will last a lifetime?

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUNJUDO View Post
    I don’t know where to put this, but why did they stop letting people on the baseball field after the games?

My son brought a friend to his first Cajun’s game on Saturday. They corralled a foul ball and later got it signed along with the game day program. My son told him how he used to play on the field but they don’t allow that anymore. The other said that would be so cool and asked if I knew. I honestly don’t, but they have the fluorescent green shirts lining the field to prevent anyone from doing so.

Why the reason for keeping kids from making childhood memories that will last a lifetime?
    Modus Operandi

This is the goal.

Sunday is the day they let kids go out and run the bases.

It’s Caitlyn Clark and Kyle fillipowski’s fault

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    The disconnect is not realizing majority of Cajun descendants are blue collar folks that still emphasize strong community bonds (crawfish boils, fais do-dos, and festivals), religion, joie de vivre, etc.

In hindsight, we raised prices too high, especially with the arrival of ESPN+. That's ok, we tried something, and it didn't work. Lower prices, plan a party, invite people to the party, and get out of the way. Tell the University Police to take some CBD gummies and relax. Tell the Greek Life admins there's some kids vaping in the bathroom and lock them in there. Could you imagine going to a boucherie and constantly being harassed? No one would go. Play local and Cajun music and tell the marching band to learn some new tricks. Do the players want to listen to piped-in music that they like? Or have a near-capacity crowd and lose the music they like?

We're the most unique moniker in college sports and we're serving up a non-unique gameday experience.

Lastly, adopt the unofficial sports anthem of Lafayette from the 90s: The Hey Song. If you make the '24-25 season hype video with The Hey Song and play it throughout the season, you're going to tug on them nostalgic strings.
    Great post. Can’t argue with any of that

Forgot about this song. Hell yeah. Fire that ____ up again. That would get the Cajundome jumping even with 1,000 people in it

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Sunday is the day they let kids go out and run the bases.
    But why only Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by facelessjonmoon View Post
    0:47

Hey -> Geaux Cajuns
    Hey -> Geaux Cajuns
    Hey -> Geaux Cajuns
    Ragin' Cajuns Geaux UL

Quote Originally Posted by facelessjonmoon View Post
    Great post. Can’t argue with any of that

Forgot about this song. Hell yeah. Fire that ____ up again. That would get the Cajundome jumping even with 1,000 people in it

People tend to stay away from Gary Glitter songs these days.....

All my sarcastic BS aside, let me try and put in to words why I think this is a huge missed opportunity for the university (whether intentionally missed or not). I thought Josh hit the nail on the head last night in the pod when he referred to Ragin Review as “patio conversations.” I get there are different viewpoints in our fanbase, but listening to RR, something about it rings true because it’s three guys talking to each other on the same level that the fans I’ve grown up with talk to each other. The conversations they have are the same conversations I’ve had on phone calls with my dad, at tailgates with my cousins, and on road trips with my friends. They have managed to channel the authentic feel of those talks in to “media.” The administration has a golden opportunity as they have an open invitation to engage in these discussions, just as RR gives all fans an opportunity to join. It’s a chance to connect with your base on a human level in an arena they feel is trustworthy. Our base (at least the portion I associate with) doesn’t necessarily hold the same belief towards “conventional media.” Yet using the verbiage from SID’s previous questions, conventional media outlets are automatically accepted as “allies.” RR is placed under heavy criticism of being an “adversary.” My best guess as to the reason for this is that conventional media has accepted a role as a yes man to the university. Even if the intentions of a yes man are pure, they are still detrimental to achieving success.

I get people probably tire of me discussing this, but to me, it’s the perfect example of this university’s relationship with the local media and why fans distrust that source. Maggard’s interview with Prather after retaining Marlin following the 8th place finish. He mentions multiple times that Marlin has a “75% winning percentage at Louisiana.” This goes unchecked by Prather. This is never publicly addressed after and leaves a sour taste in the mouth of fans because either a.) they are being fed lies or b.) the man misspoke and the person interviewing him doesn’t feel comfortable enough to tell him he is mistaken. That’s something that happens more in a conversation with your boss where they say something off base, but you let it go to avoid repercussions. If you are having a “patio conversation” with a family member, you address the issue and move on.

There is an enormous disconnect between the university and the community. The university seems content to keep telling its supporters, “you aren’t actually seeing those things that are happening right in front of your face,” while nudging local media to say, “in today’s news, those things happening in broad daylight for all to see are just a mirage.” The path to connecting with this community has been shown too many times to this administration. There’s a red carpet leading right from Martin Hall to the people in this community, but these people want to keep wiping their shoes on it and hiding in their offices. The outcome of this strategy is clear. The only thing left up to debate is if this is the desired outcome or not. We’ve been beating our heads against this same wall for so long, it’s becoming hard to believe it’s not.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    People tend to stay away from Gary Glitter songs these days.....
    Oof….. just looked him up. Damnit

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    Every solution they come up with to "improve fan experience" is the same..

1. Renovate facilities
    2. Raise prices
    3. Enjoy the games without all those pesky Average Joe's making you uncomfortable
    They are stuck in this cycle of stupidity:

1. Raise ticket prices
    2. Increase RCAF donation requirement for season tickets
    3. Raise tailgating prices
    4. Raise prices & requirements for parking
    5. Renovate facilities
    6. Raise ticket prices
    7. Fans decide all the price increases are not worth paying
    8. Fans stop attending events
    9. Admin wonders why revenue is going down
    10. Come up with a new plan to make up for lost revenue.

The "new plan" is:

1. Raise ticket prices
    5. Renovate facilities
    6. Raise ticket prices

SUMMARY: You can't generate revenue by repeating the things that caused you to lose revenue

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    Well how much more guidance do they need. It really isnt that hard to figure out. I am going to do there 400k salary for free.

Please get out into the community and start talking to people go to events not just in Lafayette but all around Acadiana. Start asking people to come to the games. Start building a rapport with the fans.

We need to have a feeling of a big-time University. Lets start with branding, tailgating, mascot, game-day atmosphere, parking etc.

Branding: We need to move away from a regional or a commuter college type mentality and move towards a national or statewide branding.

How you do that? Well start moving away from Ragin Cajuns and move more towards Louisiana. Come up with a symbol that says we are Louisiana, do not be scared of your shadow when promoting Louisiana. Its like we are scared to promote it.

Tailgating: Well lets make events like a Championship square or tents, live music, food trucks, beer vendors, drink vendors, merchandise vendors where selling stuff to fans where people can sit and hang out and have a good time . This has to be promoted and area where average people can go and tailgate.

Mascot: We have a person that has created a great mascot that would be unique that would help us be identified as Louisiana. Have we not watch WaterBoy, or Swamp People? The main part of the show is that they hunt alligators.

Also Cajun Field is also known as the swamp, we have a live alligator on campus.

This would also help us to be identified as Louisiana.

For example here are ways we can market an albino alligator.

Attachment 19404

Attachment 19405

Attachment 19406

Attachment 19407

Game-Day Atmosphere: Building the stadium will help but not if you do the other things unsuccessful.

If you bring in tailgators and you promote, and having little kids start getting interested and repairing what they have done to alienate the community. This should fix itself, but just like waiting 1 hour for a beer or the fact that we cannot handle a crowd over 15k let alone 25k will be a problem the logistics. Need to be sure everything runs smoothly should be a focal point on game days

Parking: start letting them into Cajun Field have them pay a fee to park at Cajun Field. People do not like having to park way far away when they looking at empty closer parking spots.
    They’d might go along if the gator wore a shirt with R1 instead of E1. Make the academics tingly.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    All my sarcastic BS aside, let me try and put in to words why I think this is a huge missed opportunity for the university (whether intentionally missed or not). I thought Josh hit the nail on the head last night in the pod when he referred to Ragin Review as “patio conversations.” I get there are different viewpoints in our fanbase, but listening to RR, something about it rings true because it’s three guys talking to each other on the same level that the fans I’ve grown up with talk to each other. The conversations they have are the same conversations I’ve had on phone calls with my dad, at tailgates with my cousins, and on road trips with my friends. They have managed to channel the authentic feel of those talks in to “media.” The administration has a golden opportunity as they have an open invitation to engage in these discussions, just as RR gives all fans an opportunity to join. It’s a chance to connect with your base on a human level in an arena they feel is trustworthy. Our base (at least the portion I associate with) doesn’t necessarily hold the same belief towards “conventional media.” Yet using the verbiage from SID’s previous questions, conventional media outlets are automatically accepted as “allies.” RR is placed under heavy criticism of being an “adversary.” My best guess as to the reason for this is that conventional media has accepted a role as a yes man to the university. Even if the intentions of a yes man are pure, they are still detrimental to achieving success.

I get people probably tire of me discussing this, but to me, it’s the perfect example of this university’s relationship with the local media and why fans distrust that source. Maggard’s interview with Prather after retaining Marlin following the 8th place finish. He mentions multiple times that Marlin has a “75% winning percentage at Louisiana.” This goes unchecked by Prather. This is never publicly addressed after and leaves a sour taste in the mouth of fans because either a.) they are being fed lies or b.) the man misspoke and the person interviewing him doesn’t feel comfortable enough to tell him he is mistaken. That’s something that happens more in a conversation with your boss where they say something off base, but you let it go to avoid repercussions. If you are having a “patio conversation” with a family member, you address the issue and move on.

There is an enormous disconnect between the university and the community. The university seems content to keep telling its supporters, “you aren’t actually seeing those things that are happening right in front of your face,” while nudging local media to say, “in today’s news, those things happening in broad daylight for all to see are just a mirage.” The path to connecting with this community has been shown too many times to this administration. There’s a red carpet leading right from Martin Hall to the people in this community, but these people want to keep wiping their shoes on it and hiding in their offices. The outcome of this strategy is clear. The only thing left up to debate is if this is the desired outcome or not. We’ve been beating our heads against this same wall for so long, it’s becoming hard to believe it’s not.
    This was a good read, and I think you make excellent points. I would imagine if I listened to their podcast, I’d like much of it, disagree at times but would probably mostly enjoy the hustle and the passion.

I don’t even know the people who do it. I just know how many universities work.

My guess is someone involved in the show has ticked someone off in the admin. The question is if it’s justified to cut off access. Meeting with them to get that feedback would answer the riddle. And maybe they have.

IMO, if you’re gonna get access, you have to be fair. I agree you shouldn’t have to be the good boy and girl and just spit out rainbows and butterflies.

And there’s nothing wrong with negative opinions of coaches or admin. But it depends on how far it’s taken. To think the school is going to want to grant access to its athletes and coaches if someone associated with the show is dumping on a program, a coach, an administrator or (worse) a student-athlete, it’s just not going to happen if they are not dealing in facts or make things personal.

It’s just a professional line and how you say it. And that’s why it’s hard for a school to work with fans who want to grab a mic. Please do not take the this as me accusing RR of being unprofessional. Again, I am not familiar with their show and what they say.

I am curious how the interaction got them to this point, though.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestStory View Post
    They are stuck in this cycle of stupidity:

1. Raise ticket prices
    5. Renovate facilities
    6. Raise ticket prices

The "new plan" is:

1. Raise ticket prices
    5. Renovate facilities
    6. Raise ticket prices

SUMMARY: You can't generate revenue by repeating the things that caused you to lose revenue
    Mais bruh. You should be a consultant

I’m sure they’ll spend money on one to tell them the same thing you just laid out

15. Default Re: Another Day In Cajunland

They changed it during Covid, and stuck with it.

There were so many kids after the game this past Sunday waiting to meet the players and run on the field, only to be told that “kids’ day” happens before the game; not after. I think enough people complained at that moment that they let the few kids left onto the field for a little bit.

It’s not surprising though. There are two to three ladies who spend every game telling kids that they can’t toss a tennis ball up against a brick wall, or they toss a ball under the bleachers. I’m glad my boys are now old enough to stay at home by themselves, because it got to the point that they would beg us not to go to games anymore. There’s only so much sitting still kids can handle, and families (who bring in younger generations of fans) notice.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information