Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: MBB Final: Louisiana 73, App State 85

Default Re: Louisiana vs App State basketball

App state with their least amount of blocks at home in conf play

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Let me guess...you didn't watch the game, did you?

Hmmm 90pct of posts are anti marlin and say dont watch marlin but now this q.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    Hmmm 90pct of posts are anti marlin and say dont watch marlin but now this q.....lol
    Good to know we still have you on the board to take up the mantle when Vic is in time out.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    Good to know we still have you on the board to take up the mantle when Vic is in time out.
    Well fan of 71 whined and told turban to put me back in timeout apparently. Funny how his ignore or block button does not work.... i was free for about 24 hours, guess ill give RP up for lent

Gave this some thought. What might be a reason basketball at UL has a problem beyond the dome, product, coach and agenda. And it’s not just UL. NCAA MBB attendance has not really grown 2011-19, dropped less than a million.

https://runrepeat.com/ncaa-basketball-attendance

First, look who basically goes. Older fans, especially from the Blackham era. Then you have a few Marty and Jessie era folks, but not that many. And attendance has trended downward for 40+ years. Why? The Bo and Marivich era in Louisiana created tons of fans. It was an exceptional time to be a kid/teenager, we (and our parents) were seeing basketball in a whole new light. Nothing like that has happened since in college.

People gravitate to sports they played as a kid, be it college, h/s, sandlot, gym, park or pickup. Then in today’s world, our children, if they’re active in sports, dictate what we watch. Mostly year round. And we, as parents, spend gobs of money in many cases just so our spawn has a slugger’s chance to make their h/s team. So this becomes the sport we know. And our kids follow.

I’m not trying too defend anyone, nor am I saying this is “the reason”. But I’m saying growth in fandom follows what kids tend to love as their FAVORITE sport. Yes, tons of kids play soccer. A good youth coach in football can spot kids that played soccer…the footwork. It’s a training sport for most kids, rarely a lifetime sport in the USA.

So there is more to it that the same beaten horse reasons posted here. It’s UL’s job to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    Well fan of 71 whined and told turban to put me back in timeout apparently. Funny how his ignore or block button does not work.... i was free for about 24 hours, guess ill give RP up for lent
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Gave this some thought. What might be a reason basketball at UL has a problem beyond the dome, product, coach and agenda. And it’s not just UL. NCAA MBB attendance has not really grown 2011-19, dropped less than a million.

https://runrepeat.com/ncaa-basketball-attendance

First, look who basically goes. Older fans, especially from the Blackham era. Then you have a few Marty and Jessie era folks, but not that many. And attendance has trended downward for 40+ years. Why? The Bo and Marivich era in Louisiana created tons of fans. It was an exceptional time to be a kid/teenager, we (and our parents) were seeing basketball in a whole new light.

People gravitate to sports they played as a kid, be it college, h/s, sandlot, gym, park or pickup. Then in today’s world, our children, if they’re active in sports, dictate what we watch. And we, as parents, spend gobs of money in many cases just so our spawn has a slugger’s chance to make their h/s team. So this becomes the sport we know.

I think that is a very good analysis. In my case, I played tons of basketball as a kid although growing up on a farm prevented me from playing HS ball. I did play quite frequently with the guys on the team however. Bo Lamar and Andrew Toney made me a fan for life in the 70's. I have continued to play the game for over 50 years now and have watched over 600 Cajun games in person in my life. I am an anomaly today. Most people in our area don't watch basketball at all these days and definitely don't have a clue on what is involved in playing a game in which action is continuous and you have to make decisions in nano seconds. It is not like football in which you take a break between plays to plan the next action or baseball in which strategy is involved in between every pitch thrown. Note, this does not upset me as I recognize nothing stays the same in life for long and you have to adapt. That is why the administration needs to promote the game (and all our sports really) more efficiently to our students. They are our future fans.

I missed a big thing getting kids involved in sports and to games. I never let the devil in our house. I’m speaking of video games.

9. Default Re: Louisiana vs App State basketball

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    I missed a big thing getting kids involved in sports and to games. I never let the devil in our house. I’m speaking of video games.
    Tecmo Bowl got me in my twenties.

I'm one of the old guys with you. Student when they started back in 75, and season ticket holder until last year. I found myself so mad half the time that I just couldn't do it any more.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    I'm one of the old guys with you. Student when they started back in 75, and season ticket holder until last year. I found myself so mad half the time that I just couldn't do it any more.
    Same boat. When we give up our tickets we plan on being 100% done, won’t follow UL in any way. I did it before, I’ll do it again. Only reason I came back, nest was empty, wife’s idea. She loved it, for awhile. Now she’s pretty much done, but not for ANY reasons EVER posted on RP. It’s a season of life thing.

Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 73, App State 85

I guess the environment in Boone was just a little to tough for a Marlin led team.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    ReeReeWhite&Blue

Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 73, App State 85

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    I guess the environment in Boone was just a little to tough for a Marlin led team.
    The man just continues to put his foot in his mouth. Bobby big talapia is back baby!!!!! 3(maybe 4) days in march here we come.....

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Yet, the play we have seen at home the last two years has been at a fairly high level. We will see if that continues in the final two games.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information