Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Baylor Takes the Three Game Series 2-1

Default Re: SB G3 Final: Louisiana 2, Baylor 3

Quote Originally Posted by bbhstiger5 View Post
    It was a nice 30 year run but guess we should get ready for the steady decline.
    No doubt we have issues. I don't like the body language of the team, starting at the top. But lets be real, this is only the second week. We need to figure out lots of things quickly, but I expect us to be in a regional again when all said and done.

This program will not be able to keep up with the game of college softball
    As a whole. We’re seeing it before our very eyes.
    I've been a bit worried about this for a few years now. The big schools have started pumping more money into softball and you can tell. In a sport where we've had no issues competing with top programs for the last 30 years or so, it will get harder and harder to do so.

3. Default Re: SB G3 Final: Louisiana 2, Baylor 3

Quote Originally Posted by sandra View Post
    Too bad your negativity prevented you from enjoying the run.
    I’m sorry you’re too delusional to realize this season feels very different from any other year we’ve had.

4. Default Re: SB G3 Final: Louisiana 2, Baylor 3

Quote Originally Posted by cajunref View Post
    No doubt we have issues. I don't like the body language of the team, starting at the top. But lets be real, this is only the second week. We need to figure out lots of things quickly, but I expect us to be in a regional again when all said and done.
    It isn’t just the bad play and the losses. It’s the blatant confusion and blank looks on the players’ faces when they miss fielding or get struck out. It reads as “I don’t care” or “one of y’all can get it”. The energy is way off. The dugout is also very quiet most of the time.

It isn’t just the bad play and the losses. It’s the blatant confusion and blank looks on the players’ faces when they miss fielding or get struck out. It reads as “I don’t care” or “one of y’all can get it”. The energy is way off. The dugout is also very quiet most of the time.
    Don’t know what the issue is this year, but there was “dugout issues” two years ago…things the coaches couldn’t fix.

6. Default Re: SB G3 Final: Louisiana 2, Baylor 3

Can anyone tell me what type of defensive scheme Veach is trying to incorporate? I saw twice yesterday where the fielder covering 2nd base on a throw from the outfield was a good 8 feet off of the bag when fielding the throw. These were tag plays but the fielder was so far off the bag, there was no way to get an out. It wasn't like the throw drew the fielder away from the bag. The outfielder threw to where the infielder was standing. Also, he has the 3rd baseman playing 5 steps in front of the bag for a right-handed power hitter but has them playing behind the bag on a left handed hitter or slapper. It's crazy the way he lines them up. Also, the hitters have been chasing bad pitches all season. No patience at the plate. When the Cajuns had the bases loaded in the 1st inning yesterday in the 1st game, Ellstead chased a ball at her chin that led to a double play. In fact, she hit into 2 double plays yesterday. I thought hitting would be a strength this year but so far that hasn't proved out.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainDew View Post
    I've been a bit worried about this for a few years now. The big schools have started pumping more money into softball and you can tell. In a sport where we've had no issues competing with top programs for the last 30 years or so, it will get harder and harder to do so.
    Have just started throwing money at it? They've been doing it for quite a few years now if you haven't noticed.

Lots if negative energy with these postings

Quote Originally Posted by roarman View Post
    Have just started throwing money at it? They've been doing it for quite a few years now if you haven't noticed.
    I keep hearing this. But, what I don't understand is what is the result of them spending more money?

We have top notch facilities, what many believe is a top notch coach and it seems like we are signing top notch players.

I know NIL will probably allow the big schools to get better players. Is that whats happening?

It is a real question. Can you please explain it without passing judgment on me for asking?

Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    I keep hearing this. But, what I don't understand is what is the result of them spending more money?

We have top notch facilities, what many believe is a top notch coach and it seems like we are signing top notch players.

I know NIL will probably allow the big schools to get better players. Is that whats happening?

It is a real question. Can you please explain it without passing judgment on me for asking?
    I think it's just that pretty much every program now in the SEC and vast majority in the Big 12 and PAC 12 have decided to get very serious in softball over the past decade. We were very serious when Yvette built up the program, and Lotiefs continued it. But honestly, the last few years Lotief was here and now in Glasco's tenue, you've seen many of the big money athletic program who 15 years or so ago didn't give much thought into softball suddenly invest in and take the sport very seriously, especially those in warmer weather states. The sport has grown in popularity, thus creating better players at younger ages across the South, West Coast and Midwest, and probably across the whole country.

This isn't the same college softball landscape as the Girouard and early Lotief years.

So, having more schools taking it seriously, at first glance you would think it would water down the talent on any given team. But, it has had kind of the opposite effect. There is even more talent out there, so more good teams to compete against. Am I understanding what you're saying?

I guess less difference between the top 20 players in the country and the next 100 than there used to be?

Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    So, having more schools taking it seriously, at first glance you would think it would water down the talent on any given team. But, it has had kind of the opposite effect. There is even more talent out there, so more good teams to compete against. Am I understanding what you're saying?

I guess less difference between the top 20 players in the country and the next 100 than there used to be?
    Sure, there’s more talent, but I just think the LSUs, Alabamas, Kentuckys, etc are just pulling more and deeper top tier talent than we are.

I could be completely wrong. I don’t follow softball as closely as others, but even my eyes watching games over the years tells me the P5 type schools have gotten more serious with the sport.

Well, I know of a player that hit the portal at State. BT would write her a letter of recommendation to any program except UL. Won’t name the player, she didn’t come here.

UL still relevant and in their heads.

14. Default Re: SB G3 Final: Louisiana 2, Baylor 3

I think Louisiana is profoundly serious about softball, but that seriousness coupled with a lack of true dollars has led them to experiment in ways that will either pay off big, or knock the program back to an area it has never been.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I think Louisiana is profoundly serious about softball, but that seriousness coupled with a lack of true dollars has led them to experiment in ways that will either pay off big, or knock the program back to an area it has never been.
    Agreed.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information