Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: SB: Cajuns Drop Two in StarkVegas

Default Re: SB: Cajuns Make Road Debut in StarkVegas

Quote Originally Posted by ultracajun View Post
    So what happened with JMV? Are we being punished?
    New Years resolution he had to pick something and so says he knew softball would suck this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    1-3 against P5 teams picked towards the bottom of their conference.
    Tailor made reason for NCAA against UL hosting a regional. Lots of work to do, last year or so been giving up a lot of runs that were due to sloppy play. Definitely a trend.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Tailor made reason for NCAA against UL hosting a regional. Lots of work to do, last year or so been giving up a lot of runs that were due to sloppy play. Definitely a trend.
    I was thinking the same as the game was going on. Those are 3 straight reasons right there.

The bigger concern is that what is this team going to look like over the next few when they face equal and better competition? Are you staring at a near .500 record going into conference? Too early to tell, but certainly something I cannot remember happening in Cajun softball for a very long time. 3 straight losses to unranked opponents.

I was thinking the same as the game was going on. Those are 3 straight reasons right there.

The bigger concern is that what is this team going to look like over the next few when they face equal and better competition? Are you staring at a near .500 record going into conference? Too early to tell, but certainly something I cannot remember happening in Cajun softball for a very long time. 3 straight losses to unranked opponents.
    Is it a coaching issue or a motivational factor?

I never thought a fan in the stands making the opponents political viewpoint more important than the game would rattle the players the way it has.

Quote Originally Posted by bbhstiger5 View Post
    I'm just a fan and don't know enough about it. Maybe the softball connoisseurs see something.

Glasco teams have been puzzling at times. Especially at the beginning of the year. Shuffling line ups. Defensive miscues. Baserunning miscues. Collapsing on the mound in the first inning. Just playing flat.

Honestly, nothing really stood out in the losses short of the fact that you only put up 1 run in each. They just failed to hit and that was not the problem in the 4 wins. Even against a Cal pitcher that they dominated then dominated them.

Usually, 3 or less runs are not enough to beat the Cajuns.

7. Default Re: SB: Cajuns Make Road Debut in StarkVegas

More on coaching I would say. Landry was brought in the solidify the hitting. She is a disciple of the Lotief style of hitting which involves unorthodox swing mechanics. Maybe the players are having trouble adjusting to what Landry is teaching. Veach was brought in to shore up the defense which is his specialty. I was told by a current player's dad that Veach teaches a complex defense that he signals in and which requires players to move around for certain pitches and has different players covering bases, etc. depending on the situation and batter. Could be the reason for so many errors these first few games as players are trying to get up to speed with his defensive schematic.

Quote Originally Posted by SportyCajun459 View Post
    More on coaching I would say. Landry was brought in the solidify the hitting. She is a disciple of the Lotief style of hitting which involves unorthodox swing mechanics. Maybe the players are having trouble adjusting to what Landry is teaching. Veach was brought in to shore up the defense which is his specialty. I was told by a current player's dad that Veach teaches a complex defense that he signals in and which requires players to move around for certain pitches and has different players covering bases, etc. depending on the situation and batter. Could be the reason for so many errors these first few games as players are trying to get up to speed with his defensive schematic.
    I had been wondering if Shelly was teaching the split grip, which would make me believe that you have to completely unlearn everything and relearn. Defense as well. Guess that gives us something to look forward to then right? Just hopefully it’s not too late in the year when the gears start turning. We needed these games to be considered to host.

Default Re: SB: Cajuns Drop Two in StarkVegas

I like the keep things simple philosophy. Teach fundamentals and train the kids to learn them. Go play ball.

10. Default Re: SB: Cajuns Make Road Debut in StarkVegas

We have some work to do and need to get better in all phases of the game. If this doesn't happen it will be a long season and short one as well!

11. Default Re: SB: Cajuns Make Road Debut in StarkVegas

"...Glasco teams have been puzzling at times. Especially at the beginning of the year. Shuffling line ups. Defensive miscues. Baserunning miscues. Collapsing on the mound in the first inning. Just playing flat.

Honestly, nothing really stood out in the losses short of the fact that you only put up 1 run in each. They just failed to hit and that was not the problem in the 4 wins. Even against a Cal pitcher that they dominated then dominated them"...
    This. I've never been a fan of Gerry's revolving lineups. I get that he is trying to put his best hitters in the line-up and that he is willing to sacrifice some fielding in order to do that. He know who his best hitters are. It has been my experience that players play more timid when they are constantly looking over their shoulder to see if someone might be coming off of the bench to replace them. Put your best fielding hitters out there and use the DP role for you next best hitter. If a player goes into a prolonged slump, they can be replaced to give them some time to figure things out. As far as for pitching, so far the reality hasn't lived up to the expectations. Last night and in some of the games last weekend, it seemed like pitchers were being called to nibble the corners or thrown low in the zone to induce the hitter to chase. Sometimes you just have to go right at the girl hitting .152 instead of calling pitches to induce her to swing at some junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hemphill View Post
    This. I've never been a fan of Gerry's revolving lineups. I get that he is trying to put his best hitters in the line-up and that he is willing to sacrifice some fielding in order to do that. He know who his best hitters are. It has been my experience that players play more timid when they are constantly looking over their shoulder to see if someone might be coming off of the bench to replace them. Put your best fielding hitters out there and use the DP role for you next best hitter. If a player goes into a prolonged slump, they can be replaced to give them some time to figure things out. As far as for pitching, so far the reality hasn't lived up to the expectations. Last night and in some of the games last weekend, it seemed like pitchers were being called to nibble the corners or thrown low in the zone to induce the hitter to chase. Sometimes you just have to go right at the girl hitting .152 instead of calling pitches to induce her to swing at some junk.
    Very well-stated as always Mr. Hemphill. Hopefully adjustments are being made before Baylor. I’d feel good about getting two out of three from them, but at this point and after what has already happened, we really need a full sweep.

Oh that push is coming soon. Three favorite son/daughters connected or around the program currently.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Oh that push is coming soon. Three favorite son/daughters connected or around the program currently.
    This went over my head lol

15. Default Re: SB: Cajuns Make Road Debut in StarkVegas

Quote Originally Posted by ultracajun View Post
    So what happened with JMV? Are we being punished?
    Nothing happened to JMV. He has just choose to not participate on this particular board. He is still posting on other Cajun message boards. His insite and knowledge of the game was very valuable to the board.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information