Thread: OT: Spotify for Podcasters Update

This is Upsetting OT: Spotify for Podcasters Update

Just got an email from Spotify for Podcasters about a new update for the platform, which many people on this forum use.

Starting in June, they're going to remove Web/Mobile recording, plus the Music & Talk tools. So in other words, they're getting rid of everything and making it very inconvenient to record a podcast. It's basically just gonna be for publishing your episodes. I've tried platforms like Audacity, but I'm not quite smart enough to manage those lol.

I chose Spotify for Podcasters because of how easy it was to record and publish an episode, but now I'm gonna have to figure an alternative out for recording. Needless to say, I am not too thrilled about this.

Default Re: OT: Spotify for Podcasters Update

In that same email, they did mention that they are further collaborating with a company called Riverside. Hopefully this means there will still be a convenient way to record podcasts, but I guess we'll see.

3. Default Re: OT: Spotify for Podcasters Update

When Spotify went on a spending spree betwwen 2019 and 2022 and bought Podz, Megaphone, Whooshkaa and Anchor I knew they had to change the model of all those companies.

Spotify for broadcasters was just a rebranding of Anchor which was about to go out of business when Spotify bought them but they had clout. Hundreds of thousands of dead podcasts.

Spotify needs to make money now.

How P5 protection society-esque of them

Spotify is acting as the ncaa, "real" or conventional corporate radio is acting like P5 and beging ncaa to keep the G5 (independent podcasters) out of the game.

Sad.

5. Default Re: OT: Spotify for Podcasters Update

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    How P5 protection society-esque of them

Spotify is acting as the ncaa, "real" or conventional corporate radio is acting like P5 and beging ncaa to keep the G5 (independent podcasters) out of the game.

Sad.
    Investors want results.

Can't pay Joe Rogan $250 mil AND give podcast hosting away for fre . for long

Maybe/probably. And could be more to the story too.

Checks notes: we dont hear from jay bird/moon much lately. Interesting coincidence (bet he wouldnt spend any of his own for recording equipment/record episodes on his own time)

Thread Information