Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Realistic Attendance Improvement Suggestions.

Default Realistic Attendance Improvement Suggestions.

Let's go back to the original premise of the thread called Basketball attendance. That one experienced thread drift which is understandable. Therefore let's focus on what can be done to improve the situation. Let's be realistic in suggestions. The coach is not being fired and we are not leaving the Dome. Long term a new arena we control is something the great majority agree is needed. Not possible today or likely in next decade however. Those of you who have moved on to other things you enjoy more in life probably will never come back on a regular basis. Therefore suggestions should be geared to people who may come back regardless of who the coach is or where we play. Some listed previously have merit. I would include the bus pickup for students on campus amongst those. I have a few other ideas which I hope are considered.

1) Partial season tickets-Could be for only conference games or only weekend games
    2) Have players/coaches visit the union on game days or on Fridays before Saturday games to promote the upcoming game. Tough in between semesters
    3) Signs on campus announcing game tonight or tomorrow night for Saturday games. Game announcements to the rolling billboards in town.
    4) Purchase spots on conventional radio/TV stations to promote games, not only season tickets but games on a particular week.
    5) Find some way to have a regular radio sports talk show on our flagship station hosted by a knowledgeable person which will heavily feature Cajuns talk. This will probably reguire our folks to sell advertising on their own. Station obviously won't do it.
    6) Insure there is some type of band present at all games. Games in between semesters often lack a band. In the past, an alumni band played in these situations.

Of course some of these are applicable for all sports. One encouraging thing I learned from Dr. Maggard's interview is that we now have a dedicated ticket sales force which will go out into the community to push tickets. Good luck to them. What other REALISTIC ideas do people have to help the issue.

Default Re: Realistic Attendance Improvement Suggestions.

Make beer not $47 again

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCajun View Post
    Make beer not $47 again
    I’ve asked this in other threads and it’s never really been answered but why is the Cajundome the only venue that $2 nattys aren’t available for Cajuns sporting events? I’ve seen the concession workers wearing artisan shirts in the dome. Is that a different company that the dome uses? It’s not Sodexo? Anyone with knowledge that can explain would be much appreciated.

I think this thread would be more properly framed as ideas to help with attendance in the short term as opposed to “realistic.” It is realistic to acknowledge that the CD is a huge hindrance to our attendance. It is realistic to acknowledge that we need more success (whether it be with this coach or another) on court to draw crowds consistently. As I pointed out in the other thread, most Marlin skeptics do not believe he can produce two upper echelon SBC teams in a row due to his track record in his first 13 years here. The biggest thing that could be done to convince people that we are not a flash in the pan every 5 years program would be to finish in the top 2 of the Belt this year. If people truly believe we have a chance to compete for the SBC crown year in and year out, interest will increase.

5. Default Re: Realistic Attendance Improvement Suggestions.

It has been said many times that each sport has its own fans, I agree we see it here on RaginPagin.

However when basketball suffers football suffers.

When football suffers basketball suffers.

It is not good for any "other" sport in an athletic program to witness a deserted season fan wise for another sport in the program.

Three quarters of a year with no buzz in other sports is not good for the sport you love.

In other words an exciting experience in football will lead to "Hey you want to go to a basketball game?"

Attendence is slow moving.. both in and out. It took years to lose the die hard basketball fan. It will take years to get them back. I've always said make the games affordable. A family 4 pack for $20 could be a start. Have the basketball players take a page out of Huds book and goto schools and give free tickets to 12 and under. You want get the fans back in droves this year but you can start the trickle.

What about taking a game. Lets say Southern Miss March 1st on a Friday night. Promote Senior night. Sell tickets for $10 flat. Promote the hell out of it.

1. Turn the volume down.

2. Music with explicit language that if a fan were to yell would result in removal from the premises is unacceptable. People forget the reactions to the FB team video and athletes protesting a proven justifiable police shooting. Same fan mindset aren’t usually fans of music promoting a violent lifestyle. They’re probably gone already, just left without kicking and screaming.

3. Prize giveaways. I get the tie in to sponsors. But back in the late BC days, a car was on the line at halftime. Blowing up a balloon and trying to knock over cups just to “eat with the elite” is a joke. That will last until the first person hits the floor with shortness of breath.

If anyone has any doubt attendance is an issue, watch the different interactive promotions during timeouts. When the PA guy calls some people by name, that speaks volumes.

And STOP the forced “Ragin Cajun” chant at the under 4 TO. Or at least dump the guy on the PA system. I thought that’s what cheerleaders do. Nothing motivates a crowd like a good cartwheel or pyramid. Last part sarcasm.

Football sets the table for the sports year. Momentum use to carry over to MBB.

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    I’ve asked this in other threads and it’s never really been answered but why is the Cajundome the only venue that $2 nattys aren’t available for Cajuns sporting events? I’ve seen the concession workers wearing artisan shirts in the dome. Is that a different company that the dome uses? It’s not Sodexo? Anyone with knowledge that can explain would be much appreciated.
    I'm not sure but just a guess, same company but contract in the dome is with the city and contract at other sports is with the university.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    I think this thread would be more properly framed as ideas to help with attendance in the short term as opposed to “realistic.” It is realistic to acknowledge that the CD is a huge hindrance to our attendance. It is realistic to acknowledge that we need more success (whether it be with this coach or another) on court to draw crowds consistently. As I pointed out in the other thread, most Marlin skeptics do not believe he can produce two upper echelon SBC teams in a row due to his track record in his first 13 years here. The biggest thing that could be done to convince people that we are not a flash in the pan every 5 years program would be to finish in the top 2 of the Belt this year. If people truly believe we have a chance to compete for the SBC crown year in and year out, interest will increase.
    I would like you to breakdown your reason(s) for saying the CD is a huge hindrance to our attendance. I personally think the new CD is a beautiful basketball arena.

Thanks in advance for your response.

1. Have family ticket packages that are reasonably priced

2. Get team involved with local elementary/middle schools with ticket giveaways

3. Have in game events that are exciting, promoted, etc...... Do a car giveaway half or 3/4 court shot promoted with a local car dealership. Have it on the radio, news, etc.... and it only costs the insurance policy.

4. Concession prices are an issue especially if you go with a family

5. Free ticket giveaways before and during season. Ideally you would want people to buy tickets but we have 80% of the arena empty on a regular basis. Give a 100 or so away each game and try to get those folks to start coming on their own if they like the product.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post

3. Have in game events that are exciting, promoted, etc...... Do a car giveaway half or 3/4 court shot promoted with a local car dealership. Have it on the radio, news, etc.... and it only costs the insurance policy.

5. Free ticket giveaways before and during season. Ideally you would want people to buy tickets but we have 80% of the arena empty on a regular basis. Give a 100 or so away each game and try to get those folks to start coming on their own if they like the product.

6. Make an honest effort to replace the Cajun Chicken entertainment at games. Doesn't specifically have to be that costume but that in itself made the games much more fun back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post

I like all these ideas.

For the game Sunday I would have offered free GA tickets to pack the dome. Call it Super Dome Sunday or something. Or buy 1 get 1 free; something to create the demand.

You aren't losing any money giving away something that didn't sell. Now if free tickets doesn't generate a crowd, you have a real problem. But don't we need to know this in order to fix it.

Data from people dropping tickets…great feedback if used to improve.

Re: Concession prices

I know the Dome probably controls concessions and prices inside the Dome, but what about inviting whatever food trucks want to set up under the Cajundome pavilion by the entrance?

Cajundome folks will probably say no outside food/drinks allowed inside. This partnership with the Cajundome isn't helping. Will probably be less inclined to cooperate and do us any favors since athletics moved to Paciolan and they won't get to skim off the top of Ticketmaster anymore.

But I could see myself getting there early with kids in tow and grubbing on some food truck cuisine before heading inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Different company. Nothing like the $5 Dome Foams in the old days. Student section was wild, BBoyd was draining threes, Southall backing down & dunking on guys in the paint, all high flying excitement.

I only make 1-2 games a year because I live 40 minutes away & have family athletics at least 6 nights a week.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information