Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . LastLast

Thread: Basketball Attendance

Default Re: Basketball Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    University probably wishes they could do that. Dome and Sodexo control all prices
    Move back to Blackham. We'll be Back in Black

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    I do appreciate the offer and it may seem like a huge _______ way of thinking but until Marlin retires, I won’t be back. Even when that happens, I doubt I’ll be back.

Hopefully one day I’m convinced to get season tickets again but we may see the collapse of college athletics before that day gets here.
    This is why I think it’s so ironic when people here or even Maggard will complain about being people ____ed off. Your “complaining” fans are still engaged. Once they hit apathetic, it’s a whole different ballgame in terms of bringing them back in to the fold.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
    Softball in the early 2000s had a byob game. We all went.
    That ain’t happening again…lol.

All said and done, this team is fun to watch. Eat before going to the dome, sneak food in, bring ear protection…whatever ya need. This team is more fun to watch than last year because you never know who is stepping up, IMO.

4. Default Re: Basketball Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by RaginReview View Post
    We have not beaten a team over .500 since December 13th.
    And that will all change on Sunday. Go win tonight and then worry about BG on Sunday. We can not control the records of the teams we play, just play the schedule and win. The average fan has no idea what the record of Arkansas State, USA and ULM are. So the records of our opponents do not matter when it comes to attendance, what is keeping attendance down is the high prices charged by TicketMaster and the price of beer, hot dogs and popcorn once you enter the arena.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    And that will all change on Sunday. Go win tonight and then worry about BG on Sunday. We can not control the records of the teams we play, just play the schedule and win. The average fan has no idea what the record of Arkansas State, USA and ULM are. So the records of our opponents do not matter when it comes to attendance, what is keeping attendance down is the high prices charged by TicketMaster and the price of beer, hot dogs and popcorn once you enter the arena.
    Maybe things will improve soon. Inflation has ruined a lot of leisure activities for a lot of families. There is just not much spending money for leisure left in the bank account after all the bills. Hopefully with inflation cooling down now, salaries can catch up and we all can find those extra dollars to support our beloved Cajuns again even better than ever.

UL Basketball Re: Basketball Attendance

So you are saying that, so long as Ticketmaster and Sodexco are around, no more people will attend if we play Houston than if we play Houston Baptist? LOL at this

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    So you are saying that, so long as Ticketmaster and Sodexco are around, no more people will attend if we play Houston than if we play Houston Baptist? LOL at this
    Don't worry Dave, I got this.

Uhhhhhhhhh, YES.

While I agree that the T & S combine adversely affect attendance and that a game with any given opponent will be less well attended if Ticketmaster and Sodexo are present, it is folly to think that that is the only factor affecting attendance. Quality of home court opponent is a definite factor as well.

The team is very exciting to watch and they always play as hard as they can. We are playing for a conference championship and a bid to the tourney.

That's enough for us, we'll be there. I hope others join us.

I don’t think it’s entirely true that all attendance issues can be chalked up to the CD (although it is a large piece). This 7 game streak has been nice, but we are still 4th in the Belt and 0-3 against the Top 5. One of the biggest critiques of Marlin has been his inability to produce 1st or 2nd place finishes in back to back years. That trend being bucked is very much in question despite our recent success.

Ark. State and USA were playing well when we beat them the first time. They may have had winning records at that stage. Cajuns showed other teams how to handle them. Often when you lose a game you expect to win it carries over into the future. South Alabama was on a high after beating Troy when we handled them in Mobile for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    1) Partial season tickets-Could be for only conference games or only weekend games
    2) Have players/coaches visit the union on game days or on Fridays before Saturday games to promote the upcoming game. Tough in between semesters
    3) Signs on campus announcing game tonight or tomorrow night for Saturday games
    4) Purchase spots on conventional radio/TV stations to promote games, not only season tickets but games on a particular week.
    5) Find some way to have a regular radio sports talk show on our flagship station hosted by a knowledgeable person which will heavily feature Cajuns talk. This will probably reguire our folks to sell advertising on their own. Station obviously won't do it.
    6) Insure there is some type of band present at all games. Games in between semesters often lack a band. In the past, an alumni band played in these situations.

Of course some of these are applicable for all sports. One encouraging thing I learned from Dr. Maggard's interview is that we now have a dedicated ticket sales force which will go out into the community to push tickets. Good luck to them.
    We know someone who can handle #5.

As far as the rest of the suggestions, they're very good.

I created a separate thread asking people to focus on the realistic suggestions due to thread drift which occurred here. Once a thread gets to 5 pages, sometimes people tune it out. Hopefully Turbine is OK with that move.

14. Default Re: Basketball Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    I do believe that is true, except thisI don't think you would have any more Cajun fans in the dome, but you would get more Houston fans in the dome than Houston Christian (they are no longer called Houston Baptist).

I wonder how the Grand would do if they showed the same movie every night for 14 years straight.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . LastLast

Thread Information