Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 . LastLast

Thread: Basketball Attendance

Default Re: Basketball Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    A freind of mine who wanted to go to a game after talking to someone who attended their first game last week, looked at their schedule and can't make any of the four.

The decision has been made to plan ahead for next season.
    That is encouraging to hear. Hopefully the schedule can be released earlier next season allowing people to make plans. With more D1 home games set for next season, more foks may be interested in attending some games.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    Ok, so I am just trying to understand.

You don't go to the games because there is no excitement? I think this team, and last years' team have been very entertaining to watch, and they have won 24 of 25 games in the dome.

The excitement is there if you want to join.
    No. Now I don’t care if they win 40 in a row and have free beer at every game. Once I got tired of the same ole same ole, I found other things to fill the time. I no longer care or have the desire to go watch basketball now.

And the games may be fun but the Lafayette area and UL fan base have zero connection or excitement about the basketball program. Which is why no one shows up. Talked about UL baseball, softball and football with a coworker earlier. Not once was basketball brought up and that’s in season.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    No. Now I don’t care if they win 40 in a row and have free beer at every game. Once I got tired of the same ole same ole, I found other things to fill the time. I no longer care or have the desire to go watch basketball now.

And the games may be fun but the Lafayette area and UL fan base have zero connection or excitement about the basketball program. Which is why no one shows up. Talked about UL baseball, softball and football with a coworker earlier. Not once was basketball brought up and that’s in season.
    You are the exact type of fan that we need to win back. I understand where you are coming from to a certain extent. I was feeling the apathy a few years ago as well. But the last two years have not been the same ole same ole. I think people need to see what these kids bring to the table regardless of who the coach is. The kids deserve that much. Give them a chance. If you are interested in a ticket and some cold beverages let me know. I’d be happy to have you tag along.

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    You are the exact type of fan that we need to win back. I understand where you are coming from to a certain extent. I was feeling the apathy a few years ago as well. But the last two years have not been the same ole same ole. I think people need to see what these kids bring to the table regardless of who the coach is. The kids deserve that much. Give them a chance. If you are interested in a ticket and some cold beverages let me know. I’d be happy to have you tag along.
    I do appreciate the offer and it may seem like a huge _______ way of thinking but until Marlin retires, I won’t be back. Even when that happens, I doubt I’ll be back.

Hopefully one day I’m convinced to get season tickets again but we may see the collapse of college athletics before that day gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    Ok, so I am just trying to understand.

You don't go to the games because there is no excitement? I think this team, and last years' team have been very entertaining to watch, and they have won 24 of 25 games in the dome.

The excitement is there if you want to join.
    IMO a big part of the attendance/atmosphere issue is a devastating snowball effect. The atmosphere is poor because there aren’t a lot of people at the games. People stop going to the games because the atmosphere is bad.

6. Default Re: Basketball Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    IMO a big part of the attendance/atmosphere issue is a devastating snowball effect. The atmosphere is poor because there aren’t a lot of people at the games. People stop going to the games because the atmosphere is bad.
    With concession gouging, even if you are at the game, it can feel like fun is juust out of reach.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Just like football, when you continue to ignore students and younger fans, you're reducing your base to people who have had tickets for decades and remember when a season ticket cost the same as two beers and a popcorn cost today

Things cost more prices have to go up thats understandable. You can mitigate that with an influx of younger fans who spend $70 a month on streaming services ans $9 a day for coffee. but if you're entire customer base is a crowd who "doesn't bother with concessions because they're too expensive", then eventually they won't bother with tickets either

Attendance has been declining at the dome since it opened. Now it’s like some great revelation it’s a problem. We haven’t averaged 6k+ 93-94, 5k since 02-03, 4K since 17-18. That’s a rough pattern.

It’s several things contributing and Marlin is the least of them (I personally think he’s overpaid and change is needed just because).

UL plays in an oversized crypt that King Tut would be proud of. The “game day experience” for a family of four requires a co-signer. The forced noise makes communication with fellow fans difficult at best. Then Covid forced people to find other entertainment. UL skipped the 3k attendance plateau and plummeted to 2k and sinking fast.

But fixing this is the university’s task…one obviously they did not see coming decades ago.

And yet, it’s happening right now with football.

Need to get working on all this yesterday. And starting with future fans/donors. Us old farts are checking out in one way or another.

Cut the price of Dome Foam by 50%

Half of something is better than all of nothing.

University probably wishes they could do that. Dome and Sodexo control all prices

Speaking of: I am looking for 4 tickets to the Bowling Green game Sunday if anyone can’t make it.
    My wife, 2 kids, and myself.
    Just thought I would ask before buying some to reserve cash for concessions. lol.

If the team plays well in an unselfish way, what difference does it make who the coach is. Granted a change probably won’t make a difference to you. Still if you have about 45 minutes free, do me a favor and listen to one of the We’re Talkin Podcast Craig and I record. You may find it interesting to learn things about the current team and why they are having success at the current time

Softball in the early 2000s had a byob game. We all went.

Call it what you will, but nothing is going to change. They don't f×#$g care. Period. So the community stopped caring. They don't care about you or the program. You can make all the excuses you want, the reality is glaring. Get that through yalls thick skulls. I'm done with basketball until Marlin is gone at the very least. I'm down to football and baseball. I'm still holding on to football because I'm a huge football fan. And Im not even a big fan of baseball. But, I still support and go to baseball games because the attendance and atmosphere is great.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    Call it what you will, but nothing is going to change. They don't f×#$g care. Period. So the community stopped caring. They don't care about you or the program. You can make all the excuses you want, the reality is glaring. Get that through yalls thick skulls. I'm done with basketball until Marlin is gone at the very least. I'm down to football and baseball. I'm still holding on to football because I'm a huge football fan. And Im not even a big fan of baseball. But, I still support and go to baseball games because the attendance and atmosphere is great.

Bawww I seent you at da games last year!!

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 . LastLast

Thread Information