Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 . LastLast

Thread: Basketball Attendance

Default Re: Basketball Attendance

Should have fired Marlin 8 years ago. Fans gave up then.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    I bought a small popcorn and a small (warm) beer last week. It was $18. That is atrocious. Remember when we got national publicity for having the lowest football concessions in the country? That was cool.

There is no way for anyone to know there is a game who is not plugged into the program. I.E. No radio coverage. Some TV. 1 print source. Zero marketing outside of social media and email.

Students are absent and the gameday atmosphere is not good. It's so quite sometimes I can hear the players talking from the 100s section.

The opponents don't create excitement outside of a few conference games like Georgia State. So, scheduling does not pass the eye test for the casual fan.

All of this plus some is a shame and no swipe to the max effort these guys give on the court. They are fun to watch.

You could also apply a lot of this to Football, sans parking and tailgating.
    Fwiw- been to almost every home game (6 season Tix) and spent a grand total of $0 on concessions. Concession pricing and offerings are crap

Unfortunately I'll be out of state tomorrow night for work travel. I miss the Thursday/ Saturday conference game schedule.

Find a way to make it an event. College athletics is just as much about entertainment as it is on the field/court.

Let the students tailgate before the game on by the intramural fields. Find a way to engage the community through ticket promotions. And get the coaching staff more locally involved in promoting the team through social media, public appearances, etc.

I'd even say open the Table Room to more than just the Rebounder's Club. Create more access to the general public. What's the point of putting up gates when there's no one standing outside of them?

Less negativity on RP and RR.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    There is no way for anyone to know there is a game who is not plugged into the program. I.E. No radio coverage. Some TV. 1 print source. Zero marketing outside of social media and email.
    Meanwhile, The Advertiser has tweeted 14 times about LSU and 5 times about the SEC since February 1st. That's nearly 50% of all of their tweets. Game times reminders, "where to watch", score predictions. It's a sight to behold

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    I'd even say open the Table Room to more than just the Rebounder's Club. Create more access to the general public. What's the point of putting up gates when there's no one standing outside of them?
    If it's not closed off to the public, they can't charge a premium for it and sell it to the handful of donors stupid enough to pay for it

Quote Originally Posted by Tasso View Post
    Should have fired Marlin 8 years ago. Fans gave up then.
    Marlin may end up earning another extension. Back to back ncaa tournaments would be good for the program. It won’t get fans back though.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    If it's not closed off to the public, they can't charge a premium for it and sell it to the handful of donors stupid enough to pay for it
    So that would mean the Table Room would be open to only what? 100 or so people?

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    So that would mean the Table Room would be open to only what? 100 or so people?
    Exclusively or inclusivity. Sounds like a trend.

10. Default Re: Basketball Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Less negativity on RP and RR.
    Agreed.

Fans need to be less observant of their entertainment experience.

There are many reasons for the poor attendance. I think we have reached a point with the program where the reset button needs to be pressed. This would mean rebuilding Blackham into something better than before.

We need a 4-5k seat, intimidating, pit of a basketball arena. We need control over concessions. Let's re-ignite some of the best college basketball fans in America.

It's time.

What would it realistically cost to have a UL bus make one or two laps at the following locations:

1. Rex Street -- students in dorms, students in on-campus apartments, faculty, The Heritage (Lewis St), The Genesis (UPA), Cottage Landing, and The Quarters

2. somewhere behind Rouses on Bertrand -- University House, TS Condos, Axis, and Bayou Shadows

3. South College - Campion (pinhook), Eagle Run, Greenwood, South College Gardens

These buses hold, what? 40? 50 people? Couple trips each stop. swoop up 500-600 people to fill the student section and rowdy this place up a little bit?

You've got roughly 3000 students on campus Who knows how many more than that in these off-campus apartment complexes, along with non-students who might enjoy a free ride to a $10 basketball game

13. Default Re: Basketball Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    What would it realistically cost to have a UL bus make one or two laps at the following locations:

1. Rex Street -- students in dorms, students in on-campus apartments, faculty, The Heritage (Lewis St), The Genesis (UPA), Cottage Landing, and The Quarters

2. somewhere behind Rouses on Bertrand -- University House, TS Condos, Axis, and Bayou Shadows

3. South College - Campion (pinhook), Eagle Run, Greenwood, South College Gardens

These buses hold, what? 40? 50 people? Couple trips each stop. swoop up 500-600 people to fill the student section and rowdy this place up a little bit?

You've got roughly 3000 students on campus Who knows how many more than that in these off-campus apartment complexes, along with non-students who might enjoy a free ride to a $10 basketball game
    I like it, at the very least (if done right) it's a rolling billboard for the game.

A reminder, if nothing else.

The more times you contemplate something over a period of time the more likely you are to participate.

Fire "Milquetoast" Marlin. If you want to know when he'll finally be gone, just ask him when he wants to retire. Til then, enjoy what you have, cause it's been the same throughout his entire tenuremilquetoast.

Most of us just don’t care anymore. I don’t wish for them to lose but I no longer care if they have success. I haven’t watched in over 2 years, in person or tv, and I have no desire to go back. I found other things to fill my time, and they are cheaper and more enjoyable.

Honestly I don’t see myself ever going back. Maybe one day I’ll get a wild hair but most of the time I didn’t realize they played until I get on pagin.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 . LastLast

Thread Information