Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: From a USM Fan

Default From a USM Fan

2. Default Re: From a USM Fan

That is just hilarious. I never knew.

Default Re: From a USM Fan

Reformed Californian. She’s got some funny stuff out there.

I have been following her for a while. I think she is in Tennessee. Haven't been able to figure out if she really is from California or she is a Tennessee native spoofing people from California. Every now and then her southern accent pops out

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    I have been following her for a while. I think she is in Tennessee. Haven't been able to figure out if she really is from California or she is a Tennessee native spoofing people from California. Every now and then her southern accent pops out
    She’s in Franklin, Tn and is an actual comic. Most of the stuff she says is “funny because it’s true”.

Tennessee has a ton of recovering Californians.

6. Default Re: From a USM Fan

The Ole Miss sticker thing is a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    She’s in Franklin, Tn and is an actual comic. Most of the stuff she says is “funny because it’s true”.

I remember that now. Her southern accent would break through every now and then.. she has a ton of YouTube videos

8. Default Re: From a USM Fan

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post

_——remember part of EASY RIDER was filmed in the Franklin/Morgan City area!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I would guess it was filmed there because Easy Rider is based on Steinbeck's Travels with Charlie. You may remember our former VP, Steve Landry, and his wife who was a nurse in the clinic, Paula. Paula's mom was the nurse for the MD in the book, an old friend of Steinbeck's in the Houma-Thibodeaux area. Paula can still remember Steinbeck visiting when she was a child.

And of course, Travels ends in New Orleans, just as Easy Rider (almost) does. But instead of visiting during Mardi Gras, Steinbeck was there in time to document the 'Cheerleader Protests,' when a tiny little girl, Ruby Bridges, became the first person to desegregate New Orleans public schools.

Not a pleasant part of Louisiana's history. Norman Rockwell, who had previously avoided political issues, broke that tradition and depicted innocent Ruby in this painting 'The Problem We All Live With':

Name:  Norman_Rockwell.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  253.1 KB

And BTW, what was the first school in the nation to desegregate after SCOTUS ruled on Brown v Board/Topeka, and the 1st historically white school in the South to desegregate in any meaningful way?

10. Default Re: From a USM Fan

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    I would guess it was filmed there because Easy Rider is based on Steinbeck's Travels with Charlie. You may remember our former VP, Steve Landry, and his wife who was a nurse in the clinic, Paula. Paula's mom was the nurse for the MD in the book, an old friend of Steinbeck's in the Houma-Thibodeaux area. Paula can still remember Steinbeck visiting when she was a child.

And of course, Travels ends in New Orleans, just as Easy Rider (almost) does. But instead of visiting during Mardi Gras, Steinbeck was there in time to document the 'Cheerleader Protests,' when a tiny little girl, Ruby Bridges, became the first person to desegregate New Orleans public schools.

Not a pleasant part of Louisiana's history. Norman Rockwell, who had previously avoided political issues, broke that tradition and depicted innocent Ruby in this painting 'The Problem We All Live With':

Name:  Norman_Rockwell.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  253.1 KB

And BTW, what was the first school in the nation to desegregate after SCOTUS ruled on Brown v Board/Topeka, and the 1st historically white school in the South to desegregate in any meaningful way?
    Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Louisiana
    Yes. A scant 3 months after the ruling, UL (SLI) admited, not a token one or two black students, but 80.

The story goes that black leaders were pushing for a black college in Breaux Bridge. President Joel Fletcher was hardly a liberal, but he didn't think another local public college would be good for SLI. So, as I heard it, he was watching Brown v Board go through the courts, and thought the plaintiffs would prevail; he called in the local leaders pushing for the college and told them, "Sue us. We will put up a token resistance, and if the Supreme Court rules as it looks like they will, we will admit your sons & daughters here."

It was hardly perfect, but the administrators and the black students met weekly to head off any problems early. And the administration kept the media out, which is why almost no one has ever heard about it. But we were badly beaten up by the Legislature, the Boards, and the other schools.

Soon after, however, McNeese & Nicholls joined us, and also desegregated.

Next question: Who were the attorneys representing the plaintiffs in the lawsuit against SLI?

12. Default Re: From a USM Fan

Yes. A scant 3 months after the ruling, UL (SLI) admited, not a token one or two black students, but 80.

The story goes that black leaders were pushing for a black college in Breaux Bridge. President Joel Fletcher was hardly a liberal, but he didn't think another local public college would be good for SLI. So, as I heard it, he was watching Brown v Board go through the courts, and thought the plaintiffs would prevail; he called in the local leaders pushing for the college and told them, "Sue us. We will put up a token resistance, and if the Supreme Court rules as it looks like they will, we will admit your sons & daughters here."

It was hardly perfect, but the administrators and the black students met weekly to head off any problems early. And the administration kept the media out, which is why almost no one has ever heard about it. But we were badly beaten up by the Legislature, the Boards, and the other schools.

Soon after, however, McNeese & Nicholls joined us, and also desegregated.

Next question: Who were the attorneys representing the plaintiffs in the lawsuit against SLI?
    I see you are getting progressively harder

I could tell you the first enrollee and first graduate but I don't know this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Right but the lady in the video is from Franklin Tennessee

Carolyn’s IG

https://www.instagram.com/carollynnxavier/?hl=en

Ok Fun, who were the attorneys? EWE?

Another UL story that starts with "as the story goes".. This university has more history told thru hearsay and rumor than any other that I've ever heard of.

Meanwhile, our friends at the Advocate run stories like these: https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana...c1cb53ced.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information