Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CCU NIL ....

Default Re: CCU NIL ....

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    There are 2000+ self recruited RCAF members who needed zero staff to motivate them to join, and minimal staff to mantain their membership.

RCAF should be ready to really expand with a full staff.
    the funny thing is everyone on here acts like they have great ideas for RCAF but RCAF wont listen. yet when it was suggested why not have annual membership meetings and allow members to run for board positions the way other organizations do (such as credit union, ymca, american legion, many many others) the idea was torpedoed.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Smart move....especially when you consider it's taken RCAF 7 years to be fully staffed...
    Please allow me to beg to differ. CCU is a sports franchise fronting as a university. They have no doctoral programs, only a handful of masters' programs, an enrollment of only 10K, and they do less than $3M/year in research.

There's a reason that a school that only became a university in 1993 (founded as a JC in 1954) came out of nowhere to compete in the major college division.

I for one do not want to praise schools that put athletics above academics, for continuing to put athletics above academics. Not outside of Louisiana.

Nor inside.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    Please allow me to beg to differ. CCU is a sports franchise fronting as a university. They have no doctoral programs, only a handful of masters' programs, an enrollment of only 10K, and they do less than $3M/year in research.

There's a reason that a school that only became a university in 1993 (founded as a JC in 1954) came out of nowhere to compete in the major college division.

I for one do not want to praise schools that put athletics above academics, for continuing to put athletics above academics. Not outside of Louisiana.

Nor inside.
    We should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. Trying to be serious in establishing ourselves as one of the Top 3 athletic programs in the Sunbelt Conference does not mean putting athletics over academics.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    We should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. Trying to be serious in establishing ourselves as one of the Top 3 athletic programs in the Sunbelt Conference does not mean putting athletics over academics.
    My apologies, but:

I don't ever remember a post here where someone admired another school for excelling in both academics and athletics. I don't remember any discussions asking, "Why can't we be like them, why can't we do both?"

For that matter, other than posts from myself and two or three others here, I don't remember any discussion of how we might improve academics, nor complaints about how other schools are passing us up in that essential responsibility.

Which is also my complaint with CCU, and several other SBC members. Why should a university try to walk and chew gum at the same time, when its supporters are only talking about gum?

My apologies, but:

I don't ever remember a post here where someone admired another school for excelling in both academics and athletics. I don't remember any discussions asking, "Why can't we be like them, why can't we do both?"

For that matter, other than posts from myself and two or three others here, I don't remember any discussion of how we might improve academics, nor complaints about how other schools are passing us up in that essential responsibility.
    While this forum is one to discuss both athletics and academics, most of us were initially drawn to this forum due to our following of UL athletics, not due to our following of the Chemistry or Philosophy department.

That said, the good news of grant money being awarded to UL departments for research around current and potential new sources of energy was posted on here last week.

My apologies, but:

Which is also my complaint with CCU, and several other SBC members. Why should a university try to walk and chew gum at the same time, when its supporters are only talking about gum?
    How do you view our plummeting entrance requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    How do you view our plummeting entrance requirements?
    I view it as poor recruiting and the people in those positions kinda sucking at their job.

Probably wanting a boost to enrollment numbers without visiting local high schools for recruiting purposes.

Could you imagine an undergraduate recruitment staff as hungry for academic recruiting as our athletic staffs are? Would be a beautiful sight to see and would reap so many benefits.

9. Default Re: CCU NIL ....

I was in Alexandria last week, UL closer in time and distance than LATurd. Yet they have a program in which certain high value students are given credits for classes they master in high school that they are allowed to skip at LATurd. We don’t have a program like that apparently for a town an easy 80 miles northwest.

We see it all the time. UL is still too focused on Acadiana but wants to be a statewide university.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    We see it all the time. UL is still too focused on Acadiana but wants to be a statewide university.
    I don’t think we even know what we want to be. Where is a new mission statement since becoming R1?

Nor inside.
    Great point.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I was in Alexandria last week, UL closer in time and distance than LATurd. Yet they have a program in which certain high value students are given credits for classes they master in high school that they are allowed to skip at LATurd. We don’t have a program like that apparently for a town an easy 80 miles northwest.

Or La turd gives away their credits too easily

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information