Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: UL helping fuel Louisiana’s energy management with historic grant

Default Re: UL helping fuel Louisiana’s energy management with historic grant

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Since the original thread appears to have been whacked for some reason, though all it was just energy discussions which is related to this good news for our university.

The University of Louisiana at Lafayette is an integral part of a statewide effort that received the largest and most competitive grant ever awarded by the National Science Foundation – up to $160 million over the next 10 years. The statewide effort – Future Use of Energy in Louisiana, or FUEL – includes more than 50 public and private partners from across Louisiana.

The NSF Engines grant will support Louisiana’s energy industry, create jobs in the energy sector, develop innovative solutions to energy challenges and help train the world’s energy workforce. The NSF announced the award at a press conference on Monday, Jan. 29, in Washington, D.C.

“As a partner in the FUEL consortium team, we look forward to contributing our expertise in the evolution of the energy economy across a range of technical areas,” said Dr. Jonathan Raush, principal investigator for UL Lafayette on the grant and associate professor of mechanical engineering. “This NSF Engines award will provide opportunities to expand and strengthen both University and industry collaborations, conduct use-inspired R&D, technology commercialization and workforce development. Project focus areas of the consortium, ranging from development of the industrial hydrogen economy to water management, energy efficiency, sustainable manufacturing and more are key growth areas for UL Lafayette. Working collaboratively, the execution of these programs will help move Louisiana to be the global research and development leader for solving energy-related challenges.”

https://louisiana.edu/news/ul-lafaye...L5wHco2pqRvDOE
    "Dr. Jonathan Raush, principal investigator for UL Lafayette on the grant and associate professor of mechanical engineering"

Dr. Raush was a 4 year starter at LT. Nice to see him still involved with the university

Quote Originally Posted by facelessjonmoon View Post
    "Dr. Jonathan Raush, principal investigator for UL Lafayette on the grant and associate professor of mechanical engineering"

Dr. Raush was a 4 year starter at LT. Nice to see him still involved with the university
    Yep! I believe he was on the robotics team with former UL Track & Field athlete Chris Meaux, that won the national competition.

Good dude. We painted his name on our chests a few games back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    We're not. Or at least industry is not focusing more on those than its core business, which is fossil fuel production and/or manufacturing of fossil fuel byproducts. Except for BP. They're idiots.

And while I'm not going to try to convince anyone of the economics behind carbon sequestration or capture (especially not the direct air capture, those are bunk), carbon sequestration has been around for decades. In fact, that exact process has been used in the Permian Basin the past 50 years to get additional oil & gas production out of fields that have gone through the primary drilling & production phase.

What Exxon is going to do around Intracoastal City is that same process, except it just won't produce excess oil & gas (hence where the funny economics come into play). Instead, they'll be a service provider for new petrochemical and related plants along the Mississippi River, whom the EPA has limited "allowance" of CO2 admissions (I'm not convinced that such needs to be required, but that train has done left the station). They will take CO2 produced by those plants and transport it via pipeline to inject underground.

Several operators in the Permian Basin have utilized that exact process for a long time to increase production, drilling CO2 wells in North New Mexico and Southern Colorado, then transporting it via pipeline to the Permian. That was probably part of the reason Exxon acquired Denbury. Not just to be in the sequestration business to have as part of their portfolio, but also, that Denbury line already goes into Texas. A bit further extension, and they can take CO2 from plants along the Mississippi and Calcasieu Rivers into old West TX oil & gas fields for secondary tertiary hydrocarbon recovery.
    So, if I understand this correctly, this "carbon capture" will be used for further drilling? This makes me feel better about this situation. I presumed these Dumb Azz politicians were just putting carbon dioxide underground to "save the planet."

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan96 View Post
    So, if I understand this correctly, this "carbon capture" will be used for further drilling? This makes me feel better about this situation. I presumed these Dumb Azz politicians were just putting carbon dioxide underground to "save the planet."
    Well no. SOME carbon sequestration is used for increased production in mature fields, and has been for 50 or so years.

But what is coming about, and partially funded by the so-called Reinvestment Act and other "credits" is carbon sequestration/capture where the CO2 will be injected into porespace subsurface to remain there for "100 years or more", and that is to "save the planet".

Like I stated, Exxon has used, and will continue to use, CO2 injection/sequestration in order to gain improved production; however, their CO2 storage complex that's supposed to be around Intracoastal City will, from my understanding, but solely for pure sequestration to leave the CO2 in the ground.

Conservatives generally don't like it because the economics of stuff like that is funny tax credit/carbon credit business. Enviro-commie folks like Greenpeace hate it because they say it will prolong the fossil fuel industry by allowing us to "offset our harmful emissions".

5. Default Re: UL helping fuel Louisiana’s energy management with historic grant

I will go out on a limb and propose that without the collateral benefit of Carbon Capture resulting in the added production extracted from an old hole, and the added subsistence contributed by the gubment for utilizing Carbon Capture in that process, Carbon Capture would not be a thing in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan96 View Post
    From Jan 31, 2024 Breitbart.com:

Chinese lithium giants Ganfeng and Tianqi warned investors on Tuesday that their profits are plunging by up to 80 percent as the demand for electric vehicle (EV) batteries weakened, producing a glut of lithium that drove prices down.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information