Thread: Albineaux Update: UL Has Finally Spoken

1. Default Albineaux Update: UL Has Finally Spoken

They finally talked to me!

After three years of reaching out to the Office of Marketing and Communications, Vice President of Marketing and Communication Jennifer Stephens acknowledged my proposal, appreciated my enthusiasm for my alma mater, and said that university is currently NOT pursuing a spirit leader. BUT when they do, "public input and feedback will be an important part of those discussions."

PRO:

1. Our university is notoriously mum's the word when it comes to anything behind the scenes, especially in regards to a mascot. I have no doubt, the support a lot of y'all have shown for Al is the reason a department head finally responded to me. After years of this UL nobody asking to be heard, I'm filled with so much pride knowing the reason anything was said at all was because the Ragin Cajun fanbase heading in the same direction is a powerful thing! Thank you to all of you!

CON:

1. Jennifer's response doesn't solve any of the reasons why we all want a mascot. It's actually more worrying. Assuming most of you saw the financial report, engagement and ticket sales are down, and we're bleeding money. A spirit leader isn't going to make all those problems go away, but to most of us, it's a step in the right direction. A new spirit leader has been a prominent plea from the fanbase for a few years now, and Jennifer just said that's not what the administration is focused on right now. However,...

PRO:

2. The ball is finally in the court of the fans! I have always said that mascot creation should always involve the people who fill the stands. My biggest issue with some of the past characters is, you guys weren't in those talks. Now, you are in a position to be at the center of them! IF there was a behind closed doors decision being made on a new spirit leader, I think the support you guys have been showing for Albineaux, online and off, made them reconsider. I consider this a big victory for the fans.

CON:

2. The work is not done. We may even need to be louder if we want to expedite the spirit leader talks within Martin Hall. If any of you truly believe, like I do, that a spirit leader would help our university start to chip away at that deficit, we need more people to let them know this is a priority to us.

Listen, I'm not going anywhere. Albineaux isn't going anywhere. He truly is yours now. The path forward to writing another page in UL's history is as clear as it has ever been. We just need people to work together.

I know the kind of success Al has with younger demographics. He's an easy sell to them. But I believe the best way to proceed is to start convincing more of the USL alums. Some people have called them "the golden generation" for our university. I believe that statement! They were at the forefront of pioneering a lot of change for our institution (name changes, mascot changes, multiple spirit leaders). So much of that has been for the better! Now is their opportunity to put their final stamp on their legacy of progress from USL Bulldogs to The University of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns. And they need to know that. Nostalgia is valued and powerful, but we can't move forward as a fanbase if a good bit of them are still stuck on a mascot they themselves said didn't represent our culture.

All that to say, to the Albineaux supporters, start talking to other fans about YOUR mascot. Tell them they can finally be a part of history, or make history again, when the time comes. And we want that time to come soon! The Athletic Department has pointed us towards the Office of Marketing and Communications to get a mascot. Their email is communications@louisiana.edu. Our voices can be heard. I'm Albineaux's creator but it y'all that will make him legend.

It's a blessing and privilege to be on this journey with the greatest fans in the world. Geaux Cajuns!

Default Re: Albineaux Update: UL Has Finally Spoken

This horse is still living?

3. Default Re: Albineaux Update: UL Has Finally Spoken

Thanks for all your efforts.

If they aren't already in gear on this, with The Swamp (an Alligator Habitat) football stadium being rebuilt, and a bona fide "Alligator Habitat" on campus. The official mascot of the University of Louisiana campus (by the way) it may take normal career turnover before they move forward on this.

I can’t quite put my finger on why all of our sporting events look like a field trip day for nursing homes. One day I’ll figure it out.

The work you’ve put into this has been second to none. And we pride ourselves on grassroots efforts. But the fact that we aren’t even pursuing a mascot is concerning when we have been lacking fan engagement for quite awhile now. This is what creates apathy with people including myself.

If we are going to continue to lack fan engagement and getting out into the community to promote our brand, I’m on the verge of having one foot out of the door. Why try if the people getting paid don’t want to try?

Let’s say there was a GoFundMe, hypothetically. Then a costume was purchased, hypothetically. Then s football season ticket was purchased , hypothetically. Would Al be allowed to attend games?

I’m not sure what’s more disappointing:

1. That we refuse to do this very basic thing nearly every team in the country does to appeal to kids because it’s a no brainer: kids love mascots.
    2. The fact we are notorious for having our graduates not care a lick about UL when they leave campus. Subsequently having a graduate so passionate about the university they pour hundreds of hours of their own time in to designing a mascot for the university only to be ignored for 3 years and finally told we aren’t looking for a mascot.

8. Default Re: Albineaux Update: UL Has Finally Spoken

especially when we don’t have a mascot

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    Let’s say there was a GoFundMe, hypothetically. Then a costume was purchased, hypothetically. Then s football season ticket was purchased , hypothetically. Would Al be allowed to attend games?
    You have made a common mistake that anyone associated with UL has been expertly trained to avoid. You haven’t thought of the LIABILITY. What if this rogue mascot trips and falls? What if a kid falls because he’s in such a hurry to run up and take a picture? What if the old wearer of Cayenne sees Al and flies in to a fit of rage causing a brawl to break out? Rookie mistake B4H. Be better.

I think the ding dongs that work our sporting events wouldn’t even ask for a ticket if someone walked up to the door in a mascot costume. I say let’s do it

They just don’t care. It’s pretty obvious at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    I don’t see why not if I want to show up to UL events in a chicken outfit there is nothing against that.

I think showing up at UL sporting events before or outside the stadium would be a terrific idea.

I did start a go fund me page on albineaux the gator, but looking into the logistics

First is taxes, since it isn’t a charitable thing I would have to pay taxes on the money donated.

Second is if we don’t raise the money needed I hate for the people donated to lose that money because we couldn’t get to 9,000 or whatever it took to build the mascot!

Third I hate asking people to give money, I know it’s a gofundme but I feel like I am asking for money.

Fourth if we got the money and paid the taxes and got it built we need to have someone that is willing to show up before the games and play Albineaux the Alligator, which I can’t do because I work almost every weekend I could maybe do 2 or possible 3 games a year.

So it would have to be someone willing to stick there neck out there and can show up to events.

So I did start a gofundme, which I will post, but be mindful of all the things I just put at the top, I am trying to figure out the logistics in all that has to be done.

This is my first go fund me page and know nothing about this !! This took me 4 seconds to do which is scary because I figure be a lot more to it. I feel like I almost need to meet up with a lawyer to just discuss about a gofundmepage lol.

Plus y’all have no clue who I am. Which it would be hard for me to give money to someone I never met, specially on a message board.

So I wish there was a group of people that can really organize this and really do it the right way to actually get this done the correct way.

Like I said I know nothing about this, and also most if not all know nothing about me.

I feel like it needs to come from someone in the community or the fans on Ragin Review to take over this effort and set up a go fund me page.

Also having a forum or Avenue to promote this mascot idea !

https://gofund.me/eecd79ec

13. Default Re: Albineaux Update: UL Has Finally Spoken

Fun Fact/Albineaux Update: The first time the phrase “Ragin’ Cajun” was ever recorded was in 1950 to refer to a Cajun Korean War fighter jet unit. Below is the mascot they used to show off their Cajun Pride. This comes from a researched blog post by Shane K. Bernard. In that post, he talks about the first time USL used Ragin Cajuns, and how it took ten years of “informal adoption” before the university finally embraced its Ragin’ Cajun identity.

“Informal adoption” will be the blueprint to Phase 3 of Albineaux’s Campaign. I’ll layout the full plan towards the end of my semester, but I just want everyone to know that this will be our path moving forward. With the university deciding to focus on other matters, the keys to creating another vital part of UL’s history has been given BACK to the Acadiana community. Phase 3 will make sure you won’t ever feel powerless in the mascot conversation ever again. Can’t wait to share the plan and taking another step history with y’all! GEAUX Cajuns! 🤟

Link to the blog:

http://bayoutechedispatches.blogspot...in-of.html?m=1

Attached Images Attached Images    

14. Default Re: Albineaux Update: UL Has Finally Spoken

Fan organic always wins.

Thread Information