Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Drago's is closing

Default Re: Drago's is closing

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Preach. I’ve been twice. That was two too many times.
    Bad food. Great atmosphere for this area: live music, big patios, chips and dip, alcohol, very accommodating for larger groups.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    If that is the case, I hope the place stays unleased for a long time.

The same thing happened downtown. We went downtown to eat at a restaurant I had never been to before, Cafe Luna. Well, when we get to the address we find it had closed the week before. Same reason, the owner jacked up the rent significantly. And this was after the tenants revamped their bar (so I was told since i never made it inside); in hindsight they should have renegotiated the lease before they invested in the upgrade, but sometimes you just don't expaec the greed!

They have two locations in Lake Charles and I made it a point to visit one while we were in town a few months back. I found it to be a neat place with good food and atmosphere. Too bad they have such a bad memory of Lafayette.
    Lunas was excellent every time we wet . Sad it closed was a cool spot

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    What blows my mind is how all of these Agaves around here stay in business. That ____ is horrible
    Helps when you have middle eastern backers.

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    Post me up at the bar at Don's with some Old Fashioneds, raw oysters, and fried crab paws. Now we're talking about a good day.
    Crabs have paws?

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    If that is the case, I hope the place stays unleased for a long time.

The same thing happened downtown. We went downtown to eat at a restaurant I had never been to before, Cafe Luna. Well, when we get to the address we find it had closed the week before. Same reason, the owner jacked up the rent significantly. And this was after the tenants revamped their bar (so I was told since i never made it inside); in hindsight they should have renegotiated the lease before they invested in the upgrade, but sometimes you just don't expaec the greed!

They have two locations in Lake Charles and I made it a point to visit one while we were in town a few months back. I found it to be a neat place with good food and atmosphere. Too bad they have such a bad memory of Lafayette.
    Man, how does one invest in remodeling someone else’s property without a long term agreement in place first?!?

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    I give The Chimes..at the gates of River Ranch..five years. Lafayette is a very fickled town when it comes to food and entertainment. Same thing with whatever they're building at the Randol's site. Top Golf, Dave and Buster's, all the same. There is only so much discretionary money to go around. Novelty and newness, then forgotten. WalkOns...ain't what it was at the beginning, had not been in a few years.

When that interchange at Ambassador and 90 is complete, there is your next hot zip code. Ask any local old timer...in a rough 50 years window, went from 70501 to '06 to '03 to '08.
    To me, Walk-ons has a run down feeling to it. Not saying it’s dirty, but it just feels like it’s run down in the dining room. Not impressed with it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Crabs have paws?
    They don't?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    Man, how does one invest in remodeling someone else’s property without a long term agreement in place first?!?
    I know. I really felt bad for them but that's business 101.

9. Default Re: Drago's is closing

I’m sure the leases have long term agreements in place, but those agreements come with contractual increases in rent. If your concept does not do as expected when you got into it, it won’t generate enough to cover the rate increases. At that point, if the landlord is not willing to agree to a rent which can be paid based upon the then business of the tenant, they choose to close the doors instead of committing to the next lease term.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    To me, Walk-ons has a run down feeling to it. Not saying it’s dirty, but it just feels like it’s run down in the dining room. Not impressed with it anymore.
    Judice inn and olde tyme grocery would like a word with you. Just proves, if you have good food, it doesn't REALLY matter.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    Judice inn and olde tyme grocery would like a word with you. Just proves, if you have good food, it doesn't REALLY matter.
    I think it proves they have a unique niche and people are willing to overlook dirty facilities and poor service because of their products. I'm not a fan of Judice Inn as others are, it seems to be another family tradition passed down like Pete's without any product that knocks your socks off. But it is a family-owned business that has been part of this community for many years and that goes a long way over franchises with no local ties.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
    Superior Grill is gonna be one of the very few that actually makes it work. SG in Shreveport (original) is awesome. SG in BR is awesome. SG in Nola on St. Charles is unbeatable.
    Similar food genre as Lafonda.

Will it pull from that crowd? I doubt it but will probably affect Chuy's and the like

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I think it proves they have a unique niche and people are willing to overlook dirty facilities and poor service because of their products. I'm not a fan of Judice Inn as others are, it seems to be another family tradition passed down like Pete's without any product that knocks your socks off. But it is a family-owned business that has been part of this community for many years and that goes a long way over franchises with no local ties.
    Well and the building has probably been paid off for 70 years and you can run it with 3 employees,Similar to old Tyme. Walk ons probably needs over 20 employees to open the door

14. Default Re: Drago's is closing

I imagine Bako’s had similar food menu as Lafonda.

Limited menu like Judice Inn and Old Tyme makes things a whole lot easier

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    That make sense because I have never gone there when it wasn’t packed. Seems like the owners would negotiate on a fair lease rather than have it sit empty.
    Same. Surprising because of the crowds that I typically see there. Will miss the oysters!

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information