Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Sad news on Don Brown aka Crawfish

Default Re: Sad news on Don Brown aka Crawfish

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I don't have all the details. From the conversation with his widow, I recall her saying there would be a memorial service at the old Methodist Church in Opelousas this coming Saturday followed by a reception at their home. Sorry that I don't have the times of events.
    Thanks Mike, if you or anyone else gets any info on that, I'd like to know. So, I can tell a couple of Don Brown stories. He was the one who told me about the Cajuns needing fans to help pressure wash & paint the football locker room back in the day. I did a couple of Saturdays with him & guys like Grape. That's the first time I found out about Grape being a big baseball fan.

Don, my nephew & I went to the NIT game between UL & La. Tech back when Jessie was coaching. I don't know how we ended up in my nephew's junky car, but somehow we did. And we caught a flat tire somewhere between Jonesboro & Winnsburough? I don't know where it was, but it had this feeling like Deliverance, or the Hills Have Eyes. That was back in the old analog days before Google maps. Anyway, we got over & pulled out the old donut & changed it like like a nascar crew on speed & got the hell up outta that place. Talk about paying your dues to be a Cajun fan. That was an eerie night right there.

2. Default Re: Sad news on Don Brown aka Crawfish

Great story right there. Love it.

The Ragin Cajuns lost a great fan last week in Don Brown aka (the original) Crawfish. He was thrilled to be there at the beginning of the old Delphi message board and in the secret folder For Cajun Fans Only.
    He made many trips to follow his team and I remember having the pleasure to travel with him and Jerry to College Station many years ago. We got beat down by Aggies that day, but we all thoroughly enjoyed the Patriotic pre game ceremony by the band and cadet corps and our time together. It was my first visit to What a Burger and instantly became a fan.
    Crawfish also had some fans over to his house and he cooked a chili. I forgot what kind of animal meat he put in it but it was not from a cow. If someone remembers what it was, I would love to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    Thanks Mike, if you or anyone else gets any info on that, I'd like to know. So, I can tell a couple of Don Brown stories. He was the one who told me about the Cajuns needing fans to help pressure wash & paint the football locker room back in the day. I did a couple of Saturdays with him & guys like Grape. That's the first time I found out about Grape being a big baseball fan.

Don, my nephew & I went to the NIT game between UL & La. Tech back when Jessie was coaching. I don't know how we ended up in my nephew's junky car, but somehow we did. And we caught a flat tire somewhere between Jonesboro & Winnsburough? I don't know where it was, but it had this feeling like Deliverance, or the Hills Have Eyes. That was back in the old analog days before Google maps. Anyway, we got over & pulled out the old donut & changed it like like a nascar crew on speed & got the hell up outta that place. Talk about paying your dues to be a Cajun fan. That was an eerie night right there.

Bandwagon King, check your private messages. I will send you the number for Cindy Brown, Don's widow. She can fill you in on details. I have a prior commitment on Saturday and won't be able to attend. We spoke once again today about how to have Don's estate donate to the Cajuns basketball program. She now has all the information she needs in that regard. In that conversation, she mentioned all their grandkids will wear Ragin Cajuns gear at the memorial service. Also, Craig and I honored Don in the opening comments of our weekly basketball podcast which was recorded this morning. If any of you go to a game, cheer extra hard for Hosanna Kitenge. He is Don's grandson favorite player.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunPride View Post
    The Ragin Cajuns lost a great fan last week in Don Brown aka (the original) Crawfish. He was thrilled to be there at the beginning of the old Delphi message board and in the secret folder For Cajun Fans Only.
    He made many trips to follow his team and I remember having the pleasure to travel with him and Jerry to College Station many years ago. We got beat down by Aggies that day, but we all thoroughly enjoyed the Patriotic pre game ceremony by the band and cadet corps and our time together. It was my first visit to What a Burger and instantly became a fan.
    Crawfish also had some fans over to his house and he cooked a chili. I forgot what kind of animal meat he put in it but it was not from a cow. If someone remembers what it was, I would love to hear it.
    I think I was at his home the day he cooked a chili. I believe he also had gopher meat at one of the tailgates prior to a game in which we played Minnesota.

I had just met Don for the first time on the Alumni Bus going to the NO Bowl. We then talked for a while at the pre game party. Very nice guy. That was just a little over a month ago. Hard to believe.

7. Default Re: Sad news on Crawfish

I met him at the Eauk, and spent a minute with him for one of the volunteer days.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information